1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do HR24s still need to be returned?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bossa_nova, Jun 8, 2018.

1. bossa_nova

bossa_nova New Member

May 19, 2008
    I have 2 HR24s in my vacation house on their own account. When I cancel service do they want the 2 boxes back? It's only an issue because I'm only there sporadically and it may be weeks till I return and can send them back in the boxes they send. I have one HR24-100 and one HR24-200 if it makes a difference.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The last HR24-100 that died on me in Jan of this year, they only wanted the access card out of it.
    The H24-100 that died on my son a few weeks ago, they did want it back. Last year his H24 died and they did not want any of it back, not even the card.
    Just do what they say when you deactivate it and be safe. It seems to be a moving rule.

bossa_nova likes this.
  3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Hold on to it for several months if they say they don't want it back just in case, then dispose of it through an electronics recycler.

4. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I swapped out two HR24's for my neighbor over the past 9 months. Directv did not want them back. She still has them just in case Directv changes their mind. Are they good for anything?

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Doorstops?

6. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Or you can drop them off at any UPS store and they will ship them back for free. They will scan the serial numbers and give you a receipt. Keep the receipt for proof that you sent them back in case D* give you any issues about it.

I used UPS but I’ve also heard that you can drop them off at FedEx as well.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    They sent a premade shipping label for the last H24, it was for the UPS service. Possibly different for different areas of the USA.

8. bossa_nova

bossa_nova New Member

May 19, 2008
    I cancelled service last night and they said all they want back are the access cards. I'll keep the HR24s around for a while just in case.

jimmie57 likes this.