Do HR44 OD download rates differ depending on connection?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sangs, Aug 30, 2014.

1. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Had D* installed last Tuesday, but today I disconnected the deca adapter from my system and plugged ethernet directly into my HR44. I rebooted, ran the system test. It's connected and seems to be working as expected. (I have three mini Genies and an H25 in my setup, so the deca seemed redundant, but since the installer really wanted to set it up that way, I saw no harm in it. Especially since he was such a great installer.)

My question is this. While everything seems to be working as expected, it also seems that the download might be slower with the direct ethernet connection. I downloaded Kick A*S 2 from HBO last week and it downloaded rather quickly. This morning, after switching to ethernet, I'm downloading Frozen from Starz and it seems to be taking much longer. Is there a difference in speed with the respective connections? Or should I expect the speed to fluctuate regardless? Just wondering.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It'll vary by what you're downloading from... it's not your switch from the CCK.

3. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Gotcha. Thanks very much.

4. Sep 2, 2014 #4 of 52
    John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    I was just about to post about this issue since I just got a new Genie and currently using a wireless internet connection. I'd prefer a wired connection but not sure if it's needed yet.

The issue I've noticed so far by not having a wired connection is when I record an HD program On Demand, I no longer get the option to choose between Faster HD quality and Highest Quality HD. It does not give me this option when I press record from on demand like it used to on my HR20. Is this a new feature with the Genie or is it limited by the wireless connection? I've also noticed that a 42 minute or one hour HD program downloads much faster than before, so I'm guessing that it's using the Faster HD quality option by default.

The main issue I'm having is that I keep getting audio cutouts every few seconds with the downloaded recording. Not good. I might try the wired connection to see if that improves or at least gives me the option to download slower using the Highest Quality HD option.

5. Sep 2, 2014 #5 of 52
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Are those VOD from HBO?

6. Sep 2, 2014 #6 of 52
    John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    No. One was a 42 minute show from MTV and the other was a one hour show from USA. Both are HD and downloaded very fast, but both have the audio issues.

7. Sep 2, 2014 #7 of 52
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    The audio cutting out on Downloaded content happens to me too... especially from A&E, MTV, CNBC and a few others. Some don't do it. I'm wired, so switching won't help you. It's the shows.

8. Sep 2, 2014 #8 of 52
    John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    This is strange because when I was using my wired HR20 I recently downloaded some of the same episodes (Finding Carter) from MTV On Demand and I always choose "Highest Quality HD" as an option and never Faster HD quality. Now with the Genie it seems like it defaults to "Faster HD quality" because of the wireless connection and while it's much faster to download, the same episodes have these audio issues. I never had these audio issues with on demand on my HR20.

I still have these downloaded episodes saved so tonight I'm going to try a Genie reboot and then see if the audio issue is still there. If it is I might try for the wired connection anyway to see if it helps or at least brings back the option to download using the Highest Quality HD.

9. Sep 2, 2014 #9 of 52
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It won't change anything.

10. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Started a topic before seeing this one, so I'll move my question here.

Genie and two minis, I have a 50 Mbps cable modem internet connection, installer installed a DECA in the room with the modem and router with an ethernet connection of the DECA to the router, Genie is in another room. My tested speeds are about 48 Mbps with direct connection to the router, in the other two rooms wireless tested speed is about 38-45 Mbps.

For some reason my downloading of On Demand shows is very erratic. More often than not a program will start to download/record and then say "There was a problem downloading this show, will try again later" and it will show in the playlist as Pending. But it may be in Pending status for days.

Is there something I need to do to improve this performance or is it just a function of the servers on the Directv side?

Thanks.

11. John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    I've only had my new Genie 2 days now and have already experienced this. Never had issues in the past with a wired connection on my older HR20 DVR but I'm wondering if it has something to do with either the Genie or the Genie having a wireless connection. I've had a Roku box connected to my 25 Mbps Wi-fi network for 2 years now and never have an issue with streaming or buffering. Must be an issue on Directv's end. Why can't Directv get their act together with On Demand already?

12. rolldog

rolldog New Member

Sep 14, 2014
    I was told that if you're running a Genie and have the mini genies setup using their advanced home networking feature, you have to use the wireless connection to hook the Genie to the internet.

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    What ever this is " advanced home networking feature” that is not true

14. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    As Peds states, that's not true. Was it the installer who told you that?
    Where wired is an easy install, it's better than wireless.

15. rolldog

rolldog New Member

Sep 14, 2014
    Of course wired is better, but they told me it has to be hooked up wireless. My RVU TV was hooked up using a DECA which split the satellite signal from the network signal, which was then wired into the CAT5 connection on the TV. Or maybe it had to do something with my Wireless Video Bridge that they installed. Besides, if you hardwire the Genie, where can you disable the wireless connection? Every time you go into network setup, it doesn't even recognize a hard wired connection. Maybe it needs to use a DECA as well.

This is a different issue, but I took the DECA that's needed to hookup my RVU TV, split the signal, then one end was wired to the TV, and I wired the other to an AP. After hooking a laptop into that network signal being broadcast through the LNB, the speed was VERY slow when compared to my 250 Mbps download speed. It was downloading at about 5Mbps.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

16. rolldog

rolldog New Member

Sep 14, 2014
    I think DIRECTV still uses MoCA to run their "advanced receiver system" because they don't want to have to train all the installers how to do a little more work. When they came out to hook up my RVU TV, he had to come back because he didn't have a DECA with him, and he brought his friend so they could learn from me how to wire an RVU TV into the advanced networked receivers and get a video signal, internet, and set it up as a client.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

17. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    No, don't add a DECA onto the HR44; it has it internally. If network reset doesn't release the wireless, try a reset of the receiver.

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well they told you wrong.

19. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes, DirecTV® uses a cousin of MoCA called DECA. They use it because it is the right thing for them.

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    By going to RESTORE NETWORK DEFAULTS