1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I Have Line Of Sight?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JayPSU, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Jun 5, 2013 #1 of 10
    JayPSU

JayPSU Godfather

Jul 17, 2007
    Hi guys. I have posted this question to a simlar board, but I wanted to get more opinions now that I have better shots from my property. Tomorrow (Thursday) Directv is coming out to hopefully do a new install for me. When they come out and see a ton of trees on my property I'm concerned they will be discouraged and not want to give a shot. Here's a google earth image of my property to show you why.

[​IMG]

Now, the tree to the right of my driveway is no longer there. The shots I took are from my front lawn all the way to the back right corner, and the second is from the ground up tree stump. I think I have line of sight here but it's close. I'm in Columbus, Ohio and will only need the 99, 101, and 103 birds. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jun 5, 2013 #2 of 10
    sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    Where are you planning on munting the dish? If it's up on the house, perhaps on a gable peak, you should be ok. I have often read that the contract installers give up too easily on such installs.

3. Jun 5, 2013 #3 of 10
    JayPSU

JayPSU Godfather

Jul 17, 2007
    I have not been on my roof, but my concern is that my roof location will be too close to the trees on the right, and not high enough to get over them. The pictures I took were from my front lawn where I believe I have the best shot. It would therefore have to be a pole mount installation there.

4. Jun 5, 2013 #4 of 10
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would use a ladder to get close as possible to best point of mount, or just do a walk on a roof with the satpointer program ...

5. Jun 5, 2013 #5 of 10
    samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Looking at that first pic I would put it in, you have 5 degrees all the way around. Of course we would use my suunto tandem and not your phone to make the finnal determination.

6. Jun 5, 2013 #6 of 10
    JayPSU

JayPSU Godfather

Jul 17, 2007
    Ok, I'll admit it, I have a fear of heights! That would be why I haven't surveyed the view from the roof. None the less, IF there is an unobstructed view from my roof, it would only be from the very most front, right (left if you're facing the house) corner of my roof. The problem there, however is that you have to jog to the right when you're on the right which places line of sight into the tree line on the right. I doubt that even with the extra 20 feet of height that the dish clears the tree line.

7. Jun 5, 2013 #7 of 10
    JayPSU

JayPSU Godfather

Jul 17, 2007
    You would think it should work! With it having to be on the lawn, will they have a problem doing a pole mount? Also, it's supposed to rain here tomorrow, would they cancel if it rains?

8. Jun 5, 2013 #8 of 10
    Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    Pole mounts are extra $$$ unless there is a line of sight issue. I don't think the installers carry stuff for a pole mount on the truck unless it is setup with the local installers before hand.

I have seen many times D being installed in the middle of nasty thunderstorms, i think you'll be okay.... might have to wait 22 mins on the phone for a waver tho :)~

9. Jun 5, 2013 #9 of 10
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Looking at that first pic I would put it in, you have 5 degrees all the way around. Of course we would use my suunto tandem and not your phone to make the finnal determination.

Right on, while the iPhone app helps, I dont use it as my last call

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Pole mounts are extra $$$ unless there is a line of sight issue. I don't think the installers carry stuff for a pole mount on the truck unless it is setup with the local installers before hand.

I have seen many times D being installed in the middle of nasty thunderstorms, i think you'll be okay.... might have to wait 22 mins on the phone for a waver tho :)~

if is drizziling, I have no problem, however if its pouring down I don't do pole mounts as the cement will never dry

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app