1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do i need a DSL filter for each DVR?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by vid53, Apr 11, 2011.

1. vid53

vid53 Legend

Jan 8, 2006
    Do i need a DSL filter for each DVR? Right now i have 1 filter on a 4 way splitter.
    i have 3 dvr's and was wondering what others have done.

2. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Technically, any device with a modem should have a DSL filter. When I had DSL installed, I purchased a DSL filter designed specifically to be wired at the network Interface (D-mark) outside the house. This allowed me to continue to use all the jacks in the house without having to individual filters and choose which jack would handle the DSL modem (by using a different pair of wires - Yellow and Black).

3. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Assuming you have the filter installed before the splitter then you are fine. Once the signal goes thru the filter it is "filtered" for all devices plugged into the subsequent splitter.

4. vid53

vid53 Legend

Jan 8, 2006
    Thanks

5. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Connect a phone where your receiver is, pick it up and press a number so the line goes silent. If your modem is anything like mine, you will know right away if you need a filter or not, you'll hear all sorts of noise.