1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need High Bandwidth Barrells

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Kev4Bama, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    So I need to use the Barrells with the blue centers that handle high bandwidth if my setup currently uses regular ones and I dont seem to have any issues? I see alot on here use them but I dont want to waste my time or money changing them out if I would not see any real performance improvement.

My setup is an SL3 6X8 Multi Switch and 4 HD recievers

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If it's working, don't try to fix it.

If you're going to buy more barrels, then the blue colored ones aren't that expensive.

Better to have a "good" [working] barrel than a fancy colored [crappy] barrel.

3. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    All together now...

Roll out the barrels.... :D

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The blue-colored nylon inserts indicate two things:

- The connector has been tested and shown to have reduced loss at high frequencies compared to standard barrel connectors, and

- The connector is rated to carry up to 2 amps of 24V DC power.

Some "standard" barrel connectors are okay, and many are pure junk, but as a rule, the blue barrels are far higher in quality, and most important, are rated to have DC power running through them, something that isn't true of standard barrels, which are designed only for signal.

DBS satellite systems are fairly robust, and you can "get away" with doing many "bad" things, but it's also very possible to have problems that are hard to track down if you aren't doing things right. As cheap as a couple of the proper barrel connectors are, it makes little sense not to use them.

5. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Blue insert barrels are so 1st half 2010. Orange insert barrels are all the rage now. The orange ones meet the SCTE "requirements".

6. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    What does red indicate?

7. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    [​IMG]

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Power-passing ports (at least on the Directv hardware).

9. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    Anyone have any ideas where I can buy them for a fair price. I checked monoprice and they dont carry them. The local Lowes has them 6 for 4.98

10. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Rated at 3 GHz.

Doctor j

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Don't you mean the pink ones?

DirecTV uses red for DC power.

12. doctor j

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    I've purchased many varieties of "high end" connectors over the years. Before SWM some F-81's rated at 3 GHz were red insulators , some green.

Almost all now, 2 GHz or 3 GHz , are blue.

Don't know that there is any "certification" to adher to.

Doctor j

13. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Orange is SO in. :lol:

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'd say there is "none". The manufacturing process has been "defined" to yield a certain level of quality and there is zero testing.
    There is NOTHING different in the composition of these F-81s that can change their frequency range.
    The only way to do this is to change the physical dimensions and dialectic, which the "color" doesn't. They are limited in dimensions to fit/comply with RG6/type F connectors.

15. doctor j

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Yep. I (as many) just think if you give me a "better" spec and charge a little more, then is HAS to be better.

Clearly some products of one design are better made (more consistent, fewer defects, less likely to fail). However insuring that what you get is what you paid for can be a tough consumer decision.

Doctor j

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "A good barrel is better than a crappy barrel", regardless of it's color. ;)

17. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    So, you're quibbling price over something you've already priced out at Lowes for less than 85 cents apiece? What's your deal? Why didn't you just go ahead and get them while you were there? What do you consider a FAIR price???

18. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    Well I would like to buy in bulk like a bag of 25 or 30 considering I would need at least 25 when you are talking about every wall plate in my home some having 2 or 3 in each one and several in the attic.

19. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    Bought a 40Ct bag of PPC F81's on Ebay for 9.99 Shipping Included.