Do I need multiple accounts?

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by BruceY19, Aug 16, 2020.

1. BruceY19

BruceY19 New Member

Aug 16, 2020
    Hulu/YouTube tv multiple tv's
    Hello I have 5 tv's through out my home. I bought an Apple TV for main living room and Roku's for the rest. I know I can watch 2 at a time with Hulu. QUESTION DO I HAVE TO GET MULTIPLE HULU/YouTube accounts because of the number of tv's ? There will never be more than two tv's on at any one time
    Thank you Bruce

2. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    I believe Hulu's limit is 2 simultaneous streams without paying the extra for the unlimited streams add on. As for YTTV, you get 3 simultaneous streams standard, no add on needed.

3. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 19, 2010
    You can use that one account for all TV's but only stream from two at a time in Hulu and 3 at a time with Youtube TV. In Hulu and Youtube TV you can create profiles though to keep your content for each person separated.

4. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    YTTV has ‘family sharing’ that allows you to invite family members and they log in with their google accounts to what amounts to a separate account.

Most of the others require one account with everyone using the same log in. Then each user can have their own profile.

I much prefer the YTTV approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    YTTV’s family sharing still limits you to 3 simultaneous streams total across all family accounts.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You're good to go. The count is based on active streams, not installed TVs.

7. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    Ankeny, IA...
    Remember too that your credentials work on the various apps as well. Just a work around to the stream limitations on HuluLive and YTTV.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That is the key part. No more than two devices on each service at one time you will not need additional streams/accounts.

That is worded as if it is a bonus, not a limit. Additional/unlimited streams for people who do stream more than the base limit is a good feature.

9. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 19, 2010
    Agreed. YTTV, AT&T TV and AT&T TV Now should all have that feature.

10. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    Not if your like me, and value true portability and flexibility as a "must have" in a service. That was one reason why we stayed with DirecTV for over 20 years, and paid a LOT more for basically the same programming we could have gotten with cable for a lot less. When AT&T mucked up temporary address changes, it forced us to look elsewhere and YTTV was a good fit due to it's "unique" and more liberal usage polices when away from home than pretty much any other OTT "linear" channel provider offers.

So to add such things like unlimited streams on YTTV, would assuredly also force them to clamp down on those "features" that many others like me, value more than being able to have more than 3 TV's going at once.

There are ways around a stream limit such as using TVE apps, and in many cases, those apps also offer additional "traditional" features like 5.1, multiview, etc. where the main YTTV app doesn't. Again, not as "cable like" as some may want, but every service out there shoukdn't need to be "just like cable" either. If that is your mindset, then maybe you should just stay with cable or sat.

The likes of AT&T TV made it clearly known that they wanted to be a DirecTV replacement, and their services and "features" reflect that to some extent. Others, like Hulu + Live are close but offer a bit more flexibility and others still, like YTTV, offer many what they truly want which is a service that you can watch where you want, when you want, how you want and most importantly for many, on ANY DEVICE YOU WANT.

I said it before and I will say it again, we don't need "cable replacement" services, we need "cable alternatives" and offering many of the same "features" as cable and sat already do, is not what "cutting the cord" should be really about. Choice and options ( as well as pricing differences) are only available, if customers embrace the differences instead of expecting them all to be basically the same.

mjwagner likes this.
  11. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    Not the point.

I’d rather invite others to use the service with non-privileged user accounts and not give them access to account management including things like parental controls. That seems the system YTTV uses.

I’d like similar for other services.

I get the fact that all users are supposed to be in one household, but even in that situation, most people typically use the same device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Yeah, I was trying to make sure that point was clear for others. It is one of the most common misunderstandings that I see.