1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I Need New HDMI Cables for a 4K UHD TV?

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by Michael - AZ, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Michael - AZ

Michael - AZ New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Hello everyone,

I'll be replacing my Sony 52" LED TV with a new OLED 4K UHD TV within the next few months. I have good HDMI cables on it right now, but I want to know if the newer OLED 4K UHD televisions require a higher grade of HDMI cables (if there is such a thing). Current TV is wall mounted and our seating area is 9'-10' away.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Michael

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Depends on how old the cables are and the quality / grade / rating on the ones you have are.
    You need to replace it if they were not high speed cables capable of a minimum of 18 Gbps or said 4k capable. The programs with HDR profile need these higher speed cables.

Today those types of cables are not necessarily expensive. I bought 1 for $14.99 that is 6 ft long and it works fine.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  3. Michael - AZ

Michael - AZ New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Thanks for the response. I bought my current HDMI cables from Best Buy about 5+ years ago. At the time, they were the best ones that Best Buy had. I don't know if they were rated Certified Premium High Speed. Since they are over 5 years old, I'm guessing that they are not of the Premium High Speed variety since 4K was not on the horizon yet. Would I have to replace all the HDMI cables (i.e., Hopper 3 to Receiver, DVD player to Receiver etc.?)

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    current requirement is 18 Gbps,
    don't read into that misleading marketing words - stick with real physical parameters: speed and attenuation/max length

Rich likes this.
  5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Only the cable (s ) that will be sending the 4k content.
    If you send your signal from the Hopper to an AVR ( surround sound receiver ) the receiver must be capable of letting the 4k content thru. If your receiver is old like mine you will need to send the Hopper signal direct to the 4k TV and use an Optical / Digital coax from the Hopper to the AVR.

6. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    ...and please don't spend a lot of money at Best Buy if you decide to replace your HDMI cables. Monoprice.com is a great place to get inexpensive reliable cables for anything. As stated, look at the specs. A $96 Monster cable doesn't pass digital data any better than a $6 Monoprice cable. Amazon always has some good prices too.

acer505 and 1953 like this.
  7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Well said!

Rich

1953 likes this.
  8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, don't get sucked into the Monster mess. Way overpriced, but I bet it's a nice HDMI cable.

Rich

1953 likes this.
  9. glrush

glrush Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 29, 2002
    Shellsburg, IA
  10. Michael - AZ

Michael - AZ New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Thanks guys. All this is good to know.
    Michael

jimmie57 likes this.
  11. Michael - AZ

Michael - AZ New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Based on the response from jimmie57, I pulled out my Owner's Manual for the AVR.
    I have a Pioneer Elite SC-LX501 (about 3-4 years old). In the Video Processing section, it says that the 4K UDH signal can be passed through. Pretty sure that means I can connect the new TV in just like my current one.
    Thanks again.
    Michael

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    This is from their website: You are all set if your cables are.
    This feature lets you take advantage of the highest-quality video source for viewing on a 4K TV. With support for HDCP 2.2, you can enjoy premium content such as 4K videos with digital copy protection on a compatible display. What’s more, the SC-LX501 is ready for HDR (High Dynamic Range) and BT.2020 next generation video standards.