1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need the Cinema Connection Kit?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by josh995, Aug 23, 2013.

1. josh995

josh995 New Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Stafford,...
    Hello, I am new to this site. Sorry if this has been asked, but do I need to hook up this Cinema Connection Kit?

Brief history:

I got DirecTV installed yesterday, the Genie HR34 with a genie mini. Before the guy left I asked about On Demand. He said I'd need to order a special kit for that, which I found a bit weird considering the old receivers you could just hook up with an Ethernet cord. He said Ethernet cord wouldn't work. After it was all set up and the guy left, I plugged an ethernet cable (because I'm stubborn and wanted to see if he was wrong) into the HR34 from my router. I then waited a bit and then tried to watch stuff On Demand. It wouldn't work, so I called and asked what's up. The woman I spoke to was great, so nice! She sent me a Cinema Connection Kit with overnight shipping, FREE! I was very impressed, seemed like good customer service considering online it was $25 + $7 shipping.

Anyway, last night, I tried again to watch something On Demand, and it worked! Again, I have it connected via Ethernet from my router. On Demand also works just fine on the genie mini as well. Also, the feature to remotely set the DVR works perfectly too.

Anyway, I guess my question is... I just got the CCK delivered from FedEx. Since my On Demand is working fine, do I really need to set the CCK up? Are there added benefits of the CCK opposed to having my Genie hooked to the internet via Ethernet cord?

Thank you!!

2. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    No, you don't need the CCK. DirecTV doesn't "support" use of Ethernet, but it will work. The main benefit of the CCK is if you are doing whole-home - it keeps the traffic off your home network.

1 person likes this.
  3. josh995

josh995 New Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Stafford,...
    Awesome. Thank you. I will just use Ethernet, as I don't want another box sitting on my sleek black glass shelving. Too much clutter doesn't please me! :)

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It doesn't do any better job of keeping the traffic off of your LAN than the the switch in your router (or the bridge in the Genie) does. It is more of a "any fault of our lies on this side of the line" kind of thing.

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    to be fair, he did say whole-home....

6. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Whole Home traffic will NEVER see the router proper nor will it be echoed throughout the LAN (unless you've unwisely chosen to use hubs). WHDS traffic will be recognized as having the source and destination IP address both on the downstream side of that switch port and will not be passed into the switch fabric.

VOD, app or GenieGo traffic will be passed because the destination IP is across the switch (or router) somewhere.

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    harsh, I disagree that even the downstream side of the switch port of either the router or an intermediate switch on the home network that leads back to the router can see any MRV traffic taking place from receiver to receiver(s) inside the DECA cloud since the CCK MoCA to ethernet bridge (like all bridges) blocks this MRV IP traffic from exiting the cloud toward the switch/router port.

8. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Either way, WHDS is never going to hit your conventional LAN and this is completely contrary to the rallying cry of many DECA advocates.

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Why is it "contrary" to the rallying cry of DECA advocates when all non-relevant MRV traffic remains in the cloud and kept from hitting the LAN?

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    We have a winner!

- Merg

11. DefinitelyIan

DefinitelyIan New Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Are there any advantages to switching to the internal ethernet port from the CCK? I recently upgraded from an HR24 to HR44 and left the CCK in place. Would I get faster ondemand downloads on ethernet vs. CCK?

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Are there any advantages to switching to the internal ethernet port from the CCK? I recently upgraded from an HR24 to HR44 and left the CCK in place. Would I get faster ondemand downloads on ethernet vs. CCK?

No. The biggest benefit is that you don't have another device that needs to be plugged in, plus you can remove a coax cable (and possibly a splitter depending on your setup).

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    and one advantage is that if your HR44 dies, the HR24 would still have Internet access if you keep the CCK in place