1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Not Call List

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Dave, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    Some of you may want to get on the National Do Not Call List.
    If so you can do it here.

www.donotcall.gov/register/reg.aspx

:) :) :)

2. Fontano

Fontano Godfather

Feb 7, 2008
    IMHO,

The Do Not Call List has been a bust.
    Why?

-) There are plenty of loop holes that allow companies still to call you (aka the ones that you do business with in any form)

-) The ability for them to block or alter their caller-id information, makes it very difficult to track back to file a complaint.

-) Even if you do file a complaint, it takes a lot of them to even make a difference and then it takes time.

-) Between all the cell phones we have in the family and landline, it is getting to be a pain to keep updating Do Not Call registry

It is just easy enough to ignore the call, and delete the voice mail if they bother to leave one.
    And custom ring tones, helps a LOT with that.

3. vikefan

vikefan Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    The do not call works great for me!

4. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I'm not sure if it's the DNC list or just the fact that I can be a real b*st@rd to telemarketers, but we don't get any sales calls at all. We used to have "privacy director" on our phone where we could pre-screen calls with no CID information, but I dropped that last year when it went to $7/mo. Even so, we just don't get hardly any calls. We do get some for charities and companies we do business with, but DNC would not apply to them anyhow.

5. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    The Do Not Call list has worked for me (it also helps that NJ has a tougher law than the federal law).

Even companies you do business with have to stop calling you with marketing calls if you request that the stop.

I still get telemarketing calls from some law breakers, but it is only about 4-5 per year.

6. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    :D

I find the SIT_Disconnected tone works very nice for me. It also erases my number from automated dialers.. :D

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The only calls I get are from the exempt (political parties/poling).
    Not answering the phone works ... but I am listed federally and on the state list.

8. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    TeleZapper? :)

9. rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    Agreed. I get exempted political calls, charity(local sheriffs association) and my own bills shelling me their 'insured' options. The only sales call we have had of a questionable nature over the last 3 years is a timeshare and we may have gotten on that when talking to Disney reps about the Disney vacation club and signing up for more info.

10. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Really? DVC is *very* low key and they definitely don't sell their prospect lists. We've done the tour and requested info several times, but never received any calls, just stuff in the mail.

11. rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah not entirely sure, thats why I said maybe, could be I was an idiot and entered a contest and didnt read the terms close enough. ;)

12. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    My wife always gets mad when I won't register for giveaways. This is the very reason I don't.

13. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    The DNC list works great, other than political calls at home and calls from DirecTV begging us to come back I have not received a single telemarketing call or anything that can be remotely considered one. I also have never received a single unwanted call on either my work or personal cell phones. Unless you count wrong numbers and mistaken identities.

When I first got my personal cell phone, I didn't even have the number for 12 hours and I got my first call from bill collectors. Apparently the guy who had my phone number before me was a real scumbag . It took me over a year to prove to three separate collection agencies, plus the guys dentist office that I'm not the guy they're looking for, I don't know the guy, I'm not related or affiliated with him in any way. Funny thing is very rarely did I talk to a human when all this was going on usually I got an automated message asking me to hold and when I called the numbers back I got some type of message as well. It took me a few hours or research on the internet to figure out was all this was about. Now on my work phone, every other week for the past 6 months, I've been getting calls at strange hours for some guy who thinks my name is Curtis, first he asked me if I knew any drummers for his band, and lately he's a little worried about me since I haven't called him back. Cell phone reception sucks at my house, so the call gets forwarded to voice mail automatically so nothing pops up on the missed calls list.

And that's why I never put my main email address in any form, online or in writing. It's been four years that I've had Road Runner, and I have yet to receive any SPAM sent to that address. I NEVER put that email address in any form and it's only given out to friends, family and companies I turst, Amazon, Bank Of America, Time Warner, etc and I always uncheck 'Would You like to receove speal offers from our partners'. For stuff I don't care about or that requires an email address I use my Yahoo address which I check every few weeks.

14. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I use the do not call registry and fins it very effective..

I did have one annoying frim calling constantly, they get around the rules because they are a survey firm. I made several requests to be removed from their lists to no avail. Finally I got a supervisor on the line and asked to be removed. He was quite rude and said they didn't have to honor such requests...

I greeted their next three telephone calls with an air horn fired directly into the telephone...

Haven't heard from them in quite awhile now...:D

15. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I have not registered on the DNC and find it to be very effective -
    almost 100%.

Why would I voluntarily give up my info to a group that would need
    my phone # in order to know what number not to call? It's illogical.

16. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Actually, they don't need your phone number to snag you. All they need is for your phone to be answered when it rings and you're on their list. The DNC list takes your number off of their list of numbers to fish for.

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If you have ever been listed with a number or put that number on any sort of entry/order form then it is just a matter of time before they find you. They may even dial every phone number in your exchange if all they are interested in is finding warm bodies/people who may answer. Just like spam, once the number proves valid it will be passed on to the next solicitation.

It would take a scammy operation to call numbers on the do not call list.

18. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It's very frustrating. If you order stuff, most online sites get your phone number as well as your address. We end up with some phone calls and tons of catalogs even though we decline to receive either.

Yeah, I know, don't order anything. But we want to do our part to keep the consumer economy going. It's patriotic.:D

19. bglenn

bglenn Cool Member

Nov 18, 2008
    It's no big deal to me. Don't answer the call if I don't recognize the callerID.

When I'm at parent's house and a number comes across the callerID that they don't recognize or recognize it as a charity calling my mom gets all worked up and yells - Damn it !! Don't pickup the phone !!

I don't understand why something like this gets some people so worked up.
    What's the big deal ?

20. ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    The real insult, and possibly biggest ever from congress, is their exclusion from the list. It's the most blatant case of do as I say not as I do ever. Especially considering that telemarketers never called as often as the politicians.