Do Not Call Registry -- For Dead People

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Resting in peace costs $1

Thursday, July 21, 2005; Posted: 9:32 p.m. EDT (01:32 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- The largest U.S. direct marketing group (has) set up a registry Thursday to remove dead people from its telemarketing, e-mail and direct mail lists -- for $1. The organization said the $1 fee was for credit card verification, and was designed to prevent fraud.

The Direct Marketing Association said its Deceased Do-Not-Contact list was designed to help families dealing with the loss of a loved one.

More @ CNN

2. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    The day after my father died, I received he received a call from someone offering to sell him a burial plot. I informed the caller that Dad had already purchased a plot in a competing cemetery and that he was quite taken with it, moving in that day!

3. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    It is so annoying to hear all those cell phones ringing at the cemetery.

4. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    ring out your dead.....okay, that was pretty bad.

5. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I call dead people?

6. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    When I go, I'm taking my cell & extra batteries -- just in case I change my mind. I may opt for burial at sea (nearby). In that event, I'm taking a GPS and Red Dye #4 with shark repellant. Just my luck I'll get whacked by an 18-wheeler as I cross I-95 on foot picking up plastic bottles refundable in ME and CA in a futile attempt at fund-raising for a cheap pine rowboat. :shrug:

7. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    !rolling
    I wonder Nick, does that stuff come naturally (shootin' from the hip) or do you have to sit and think it up? :D

8. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I have no idea where "that stuff" comes from, but it comes fast -- like lightning on a rainy night. No, I don't have to sit to think this stuff up. I'm ambidextrous -- I can think of my feet or on just sitting on my bony ass, but don't think for minute this shiite is easy?

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, Dude, but I do have a life, such as it is. :shrug: Got to go, the porcelain god is calling -- again! :rolleyes:

9. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Especially when you realize that all of those calls are from politicians running for office. I won't mention what party is calling all these dead people though. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.