Do people really like panoramic doors (and other design features)?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by SledgeHammer, Sep 11, 2019.

1. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I've been looking at new homes in my area (So Cal) and every builder seems to be doing panoramic doors these days. Is it just me or are they super impractical?

1) you get a full wall of glass... UV damages interior stuff (furniture, floors, plastics, etc.)
    2) gotta find a window covering for a full wall of glass
    3) seems like a pain if you are regularly going to go out to the back yard to open the huge door
    4) cleaning headache
    5) limits furniture placement (basically creates a dead useless wall)
    6) lighting issue if the panoramic door is where your TV is
    7) am I really ever going to open a full wall of glass to let all the critters in my house?
    8) expensive to repair? if they leak or something like that?
    9) the houses here are tract homes with small lots... I'd be looking at a brick wall... lovely view :D. I might re-think it if I had a view of the beach or a lake or something like that

Builder would probably think I'm crazy lol, but I'd probably opt for a "panoramic door delete" and tell them to close it up and put a standard double window on this half of the wall and a true divided light French door on this half. A 2 + 2 x 1/2 side panels or even 2 + 2 x full side panels seems a lot more practical to me.

Am I crazy? :D

Panoramic doors seem like the latest design gimmick to me... when I built my current house in 2002, the gimmicks were rounded drywall corners and niches. Nobody likes those now and people drywall over the niches. I have a media niche and I don't like it now because it limits my TV size to 55" :(. Plus I had to get an expensive custom built cabinet.

My house has rounded drywall corners... they look nice, I noticed no builder does that anymore... but I have basic standard base molding, so they do 2 angled pieces to get it to fit right. I think if I had more substantial moldings and/or crown, rounded corners would look silly.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    that would be selling point for me also

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    nope, I've same thinking

SledgeHammer likes this.
  4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    ummm, the glass should be IR and UV resistant/coated IMO

5. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I have plantation shutters in my current house and I keep them mostly closed, still, the white plastic trim on my recessed lights has yellowed where the lights are exposed to sunlight.

6. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    We have had a big sliding glass door in our family room to our back porch for 30 years now. There's also another regular door to the back porch from the kitchen. We have curtains but usually leave them open in the daytime. No noticeable fading on any furniture or flooring. And we're in sunny southern California! Sun hits the TV in the room early in the morning so we pull one curtain if we're watching the morning news.

7. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    The sliding door is the whole wall? *Shrug* I've asked a few people offline too and nobody seems to think they're practical.

Oh well, I looked at the house on Google Sat View and the roof lines are literally 2 ft apart which is crazy even for So Cal. It's like a 2400 sq ft house on a sub 3000 lot. Plus its a court yard home, 4 homes share a drive way. For 1.3M? I think I'll pass...

I guess I'll have to suck it up and get a used house lol... I dunno… every one I see on Zillow, etc, you pretty much have to gut because there are a lot of Chinese people in my area it seems and they deck the houses in a Chinese style.

8. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    It's not the whole wall -- door only takes up 8 feet of an 18-foot wide room. Nice backyard view with three big pine trees. Yes, Southern Cal prices are high but we're only eight blocks from the ocean. And we didn't pay a ridiculous price for the house 45 years ago. Sliding door opens four feet. No problem with furniture in front of other four feet. The previous house we lived in -- 12 blocks from the beach -- had double doors opening from breakfast room to back porch.

9. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Oh... that's a normal sized door imo. French door would be 2 standard doors + 2 1/2 side panels = 96 inches.

Think something more like this:

4 Bd Vacation Condo Oceanside | Beachfront Only Vacation Rentals

That's what every build is putting in now a days.

Yeah, if I had that view, maybe :D, but in So Cal (orange county), the view is your brick wall or fence or whatever.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My parents house had a large front window, about the size of a double patio door wide but it started two feet above the floor. For the first decade they lived in the house they had a couch in front of that window (and a beagle doing a Snoopy impersonation laying on the top of the back of the couch looking out the window). There were other large windows in the room. The house was built in 1908, so big windows meant you could see without candles or gas lights. We had electricity when we lived there. It seemed natural to have the window for light but block it with a couch to provide seating.

My father in law's house has a large sunroom with all exterior walls being large windows side by side. Very nice ... But he has a yard to look at. The sunroom can be divided from the living room by a four panel sliding glass wall. Probably 30 ft wide. It allows the sunlight to pass through from the sunroom at all times. The house also has several skylights. Most days they do not use electric lights dawn to dusk in the living, kitchen and sunrooms.

It works, and I would buy a similar house.

11. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    My home is a little bit different in that it is a single story home shaped like a U. From the living room to the back yard, there is both a single AND double French door next to each other. One of the previous homeowner's wife was disabled, so that was some unique customization including a Jacuzzi that is much deeper than usual.

Rich likes this.