Do they still sell no 1080p DVR's that are not Genie?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by eatonjb, Feb 24, 2020.

1. eatonjb

eatonjb Legend

Nov 21, 2006
    So right now, we have an issue in the house where someone does not want to share the DVR. (don't ask) so we want to get another Reciver that is just stand alone but will have DVR capabilites. I saw the HR22 I think but it looks like it only does 1080i no P.

Is there a non Genie out there that will do this? with a DVR? and if so, where would be the best place to get one?

thanks

2. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Nothing you watch is 1080p unless you're watching OD/PPV movies. All DVRS will do 1080p though.

eatonjb likes this.
  3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    No DIRECTV receiver, Genie or otherwise, can actually output 1080p other than as "pass-through" for some PPV or VOD movies which are received natively at 1080p@24 Hz. ...

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

eatonjb likes this.
  4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Get an HR-24.

eatonjb likes this.
  5. eatonjb

eatonjb Legend

Nov 21, 2006
    Ahh. Cool. Ok, so is the HR24 my only option then? Seem plentiful on eBay and such.

6. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    You might have trouble getting one from ebay activated.

eatonjb likes this.
  7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Don't trust personal e-bay sellers in this area. As you would have to verify that the receiver was owned and the account in good standing by the previous owner when it was deactivated. Plus DIRECTV would have to send you a new access card before they would activate the receiver on your account.

And yes the HR24 is virtually your only option today for a DVR less than the Genie. Unless you purchase from a 3rd party reseller like Solid Signal or something, that may still have some older model DVRs prior to the HR24 in stock.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    They might not activate an HR24 bought on eBay, probably won't. Better to buy one (if you still can) from Solid Signal but it will still be a leased HR.

Rich

9. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    I suggest you Call SolidSignal and order a HR24 -They will be able to Help you get it added to your account! --Also Order a BAND stop Filter --Install that on the SAT 1 RG6 Input connect the other end to the RG6 -that goes to your network -That way it will Isolated from the rest of your WH

Rich likes this.
  10. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Why wouldn't he just call AT&T/Directv and get a deal instead of fooling with a third party? There is zero advantage of going through solid signal. In fact, the customer would be paying full price going through solid signal when they may very well get a discounted promotion going direct to the ATT/Directv.

compnurd likes this.
  11. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    If the OP wants to deal with AT&T then by all means - I have in the past and as chose as little contact with them as possible. By calling Solidsignal -The Receiver will come ready to connect -rather than calling and being Bounced around and be up-sold

12. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    To each his own but a simple phone is worth the $200 solid signal will charge.

compnurd, Rich and trh like this.
  13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Exactly. You know with Solid Signal you're paying what is advertised on their website. You might get it free by calling DIRECTV. Of course they may charge you full price, plus $99 for install, but you won't know until you ask.

Of course with Solid Signal if they say they are mailing one out today and it will be there 3-5 days, it will be there as promised. I wouldn't bet much on DIRECTV getting the order correct. Seems to be the luck of the draw at times.

But I'm at least calling to see what they say. I'm willing to at least give it a try before I spend the $200.

Rich likes this.
  14. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Sure, I don't disagree about looking at options, but if the OP has a discount, why should Solid Signal get it (because that is what happens) rather than the customer?

Rich likes this.
  15. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I would not buy one from Ebay or Craigslist. I have heard too many bad stories about them trying to activate them. Use AT&T or Solid Signal ( I have no experience with Solid Signal ).

16. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    Are Hr24's from Solid Signal new ? I might decide that a new one is worth the money instead of a used one from ATT

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You are not gonna get a brand new 24 anywhere. No matter what you do or where you purchase it, it will be refurbished and will be a "leased" receiver. The smart thing to do when you get a refurbished HR is put a new drive on it. The 24 will undoubtedly come with an old HDD in it. Might run well at first but you cannot expect an HDD that has been in use for perhaps a decade to work well over the long run. Put an external drive on it immediately. Need help, ask here, we can help you with that.

Rich

WestDC likes this.
  18. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Nope. Which as far as I can tell, is not disclosed to the customer purchasing the unit.

19. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    It is disclosed, but two clicks from the HR24 page.
    Click on Features Tab, then there is a Click Here link on new receivers, which brings up this:

"Questions about our policy on new and recertified receivers?

It really comes down to what you mean when you say "new." Both DIRECTV and DISH no longer make a distinction between receivers that have been in the field versus ones that are fresh from the factory. That seems unfair to people who really want to get that "brand new" experience but there are several good reasons for it."

Even the lease portion and 2-year contract is on the second page.

20. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Yep....see it now....that should 100% be disclosed on the main product page, instead of clicking to "features", then having to click another link regarding "our policy".