1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do this many people really use CC/CID?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ProfLonghair, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 7, 2007 #1 of 78
    ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    I AM NOT TRYING TO START A FLAME WAR!

I AM NOT TRYING TO OFFEND!

Mostly, I'm wondering if I'm just missing out here. I see tons of people complaining about Called ID not working right. I haven't really had a land line in years, but it seems to me like a big distraction. Maybe you guys are just used to it, is that the case?

My real questions is in regards to Closed Captioning. Tons of complaints about how it works here. Is it just a high concentration of hearing impaired people and non-native English speakers, or is there some other reason you have it turned on that I can't think of. If so, I'd like to know, I'm willing to try (almost) anything once.

2. Mar 7, 2007 #2 of 78
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    For Caller-ID... Yes it is a feature that I have grown pretty fond of.

And for Closed Caption... I do use it when we are hosting parties or my Son has friends over. (using it in a context outside of "necessity")

3. Mar 7, 2007 #3 of 78
    Tom_S

Tom_S Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    Caller ID is nice, but since my phone is right next to my couch it's not particularly necessary for me. CC however is absolutely necessary in mu household. I have 2 deaf children and it is the only way my older son can follow along, not to mention that it is something that needs to be there BY LAW!

4. Mar 7, 2007 #4 of 78
    jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    I used CC frequently on my TIVO and still do when watching movies.

I would like the ability to use it more frequently on the HR20, but because it so difficult to toggle on and off, I find that I don't use it as much.

(But I do end up using the skip back button more as result sometimes.)

5. Mar 7, 2007 #5 of 78
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    On-screen caller ID has become pretty important here, too.

It is not nearly as distracting as having to find the phone and look at it. I'm on call 24/7 and have to know who's calling.

6. Mar 7, 2007 #6 of 78
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    On-screen CID is an annoyance to me - but that's just me.

CC is a necessity for many and should work correctly.

7. Mar 7, 2007 #7 of 78
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    One thing I would like to add... why Caller-ID on screen is important.
    Depending on the phone number displayed... determins who goes and get's the phone... me or the wife.

8. Mar 7, 2007 #8 of 78
    jediphish

jediphish Godfather

Dec 3, 2005
    For certain reasons, I must watch TV with the volume turned almost all the way down some of the time. Thus, CC is the only way to watch unless I learn how to read lips, which doesn't help for off-screen dialogue.

9. Mar 7, 2007 #9 of 78
    Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Based on the feedback in the E* forms CC is a very important feature that a lot of people rely on. Since I was one that never used it, I thought it was not a heavily used feature but that opinion was changed after monitoring the forums for a while.

CID to me is a useful feature. Nice to have and I use it a lot but if I would rank them... CC would be a must have and CID is a nice to have. Both are useful but CC is definitely a feature that is used a lot from my experience.

10. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    I don't use the on-screen CID since my telephone has talking CID (Instead of ringing, it says "Call from ....")

I use CC a lot when I want to turn down the volume (either so I don't disturb someone, or because someone is on the phone)

11. Larry G

Larry G Godfather

Apr 13, 2006
    The on screen CID is important to me.
    I have never switched on CC. Not even to see if it works.

12. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I use CC all the time, I hate the way it takes a million steps to turn it off and on, though. I have even had to program a macro in my remote to handle this. I quit using CID when the dog chewed through the phone line, didn't really miss it.

13. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    I really like Caller ID with D*.Also had it with E* difference is my D11 also displays Call Waiting ID # also.;)

Have CC set to come on with Mute on TV and I love it.Use it often when raising the
    volume is frowned upon great feature.:)

14. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I use CC a lot when watching late at night. In todays movies music and special effects are very loud and then when they switch to dialogue sometimes it is like a whisper. You have to keep turning the volume up and down as the scenes change.

15. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I don't even know how you switch on CC :confused:

16. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    Should be covered in your owner's manual for the TV.Hopefully you will be able to set it at CC/wMute.If not CC1 will do when you want it.Good Luck!;)

17. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Thanks I'll look there and see if I can come up with anything :) Right you are--it is there.
    I learn something new everyday :sunsmile:

18. BJM

BJM Godfather

Dec 9, 2006
    Count me in as another CC user out of preference. Another reason besides the ones mentioned above - if you allow your young children to watch (appropriate!) programs, in limited amounts, CC helps their language development, imho. And when the children get older, CC helps when they're too loud <smile>.

19. kenmoo

kenmoo Legend

Oct 3, 2006
    I don't have CID so don't use it but a lot of folks seem to love it. A big difference from CC as I see it though. We use CC on programs when we are having trouble understanding the dialog. Not deaf but the hearing is starting to lose precision. It's a must on BBC. On concerts you can understand the song lyrics.

It seems that CC is different from other functions because it is not just an enhancement for the folks that need it. CC is a must if you are deaf or hearing impaired. The frustrating part is that it is time consuming to turn off and on and it works perfect on some channels but not on others.

You are right that CC usage is a small number of HR20 users but to us it is not just an inconvenience. An interesting part of the recent movie "Babel" was showing the world of a deaf person by absolutley no audio during her parts. It was an eye (ear) opener for me. I also am not tryng to offend but as a validation of my thoughts try a short experiement. Watch your favorite program with earplugs. Turn the CC on and see how it can help you follow the program. CC is working much better on the HR20 these days but still needs improvement. It may be a local station problem however.

20. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    CC is helpful when either 1 or more conditions are present:

1. 1 or more viewers is hearing impaired
    2. You need volume down as to not disturb another member in the household
    3. In a noisy room

CID:

A very cool perk and incentive to plug in your phoneline which D* wants. Of course, CID is also on the phone which unless somebody moved it, should be near the tv.

Then again, if you don't have the handset near you and the CID indicates "non esential" or "not for me", then you don't have to get up.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.