Do "underground" cable companies exist?

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by Tkimo, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Tkimo

Tkimo New Member

Feb 26, 2020
    Today when the "establishment" services have only a few options available and consolidation is everywhere, are "underground" cable companies or even TV channels an existent thing?

Like "traditional" cable or TV channels, I don't mean like streaming.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Underground as in illegal?

3. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    While not discussing or advocating illegal activities, I know of a few places in VERY rural areas that operate “TV clubs” which may or may not fit in the “non-profit” exception to retransmission content rules; and which may or may not actually pay for the other channels they carry. Used to be more common, but the modern DBS system obseleted most.

As to any place you would want to live, no.

4. Tkimo

Tkimo New Member

Feb 26, 2020
    This thread isn't trying to advocate anything that is illegal, this was just a question.

5. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Please define "underground".

ericknolls likes this.
  6. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    My FiOS line is above the ground. :rolleyes:

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Only "underground" thing I've ever seen was a cable guy selling hacked boxes. That was many years ago. I did work with an electrician that wired up an apartment house illegally and was hit with a $10,000 fine, that was many years ago, too. It's not worth it.

Rich

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    While I find a lot of their articles inaccurate, Cord Cutter News had this article yesterday:
    IPTV Sellers Could Now Facing Jail Time in the United States - Cord Cutters News

A co-worker gave me his Fire Stick w/Kodi and some 'special' apps installed to try over the weekend. He said it was perfectly legal. However, I hooked it up that night and was able to watch movies on my TV that had just opened that day in the theater. No way that was legal. So after I disconnected his Fire TV stick, I did a few minutes of Google research. Glad I was using a VPN. Haven't tried it again and I did not have the same apps installed on any of my devices. The warnings on DVDs say 5 years and $250,000 fine. Just not worth it.

9. Mar 1, 2020 #9 of 10
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The recent heavyweight boxing match, Fury vs Wilder, didn't have as many subs as they expected. Speculation is somehow a lot of folks got it without having to pay for it. To take a chance on prison and a huge fine just to save about eighty bucks? That makes no sense. And people justify it by saying it's legal, how can it be legal? I tried one of those loaded Fire Sticks years ago and I got rid of it very quickly, if it seems to good to be true...yeah, just not worth it.

Rich

10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The chance is low, but decision is the same. Don't steal.

I would like to know what "underground" is if it is not illegal or at least shady.