1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do/Would you pay for locals in addition to your DMA locals (if they were available)?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jgoggan, Jan 13, 2004.

Do/Would you pay for locals in addition to your DMA locals (if they were available)?

1. Yes -- I currently have my DMA locals (via Dish) and pay extra for distant networks also.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes -- I currently have my DMA locals (via Dish) and would also pay extra for distant networks (if I

34 vote(s)
    43.6%
  3. Yes -- I currently have my DMA locals (via Dish) and would also pay extra for another close DMA if t

21 vote(s)
    26.9%
  4. No -- I currently have my DMA locals (via Dish) and would not pay extra for another set from somewhe

9 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. I currently can only get some of the networks from my DMA locals and therefore I am excluded from th

9 vote(s)
    11.5%
  6. I currently cannot get my DMA locals over Dish and therefore I am excluded from this poll.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other (in case something was forgotten and you want to explain it below).

5 vote(s)
    6.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    I am trying to determine how important getting additional locals are to most people. By "additional" locals, I mean assuming that all of the major networks are already available to you over Dish from your local DMA. So, this would mean: do/would you pay to have ANOTHER set of those networks from distant locals or even from another close DMA if they were legally available?

Sorry, but I'd like to exclude people that cannot even get their DMA locals over Dish yet from this poll.

- John...

2. ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    I don't have locals thru Dish tho they are available (MADISON) but if I could pay 5.99 a month for Philadelphia and Washington D.C locals I would till the day I die. I used to have both a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago.

3. jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    Yes, but that's a bit different and why I excluded those that can't get their locals currently. The question is: if you were paying $6/month for your DMA locals if they were offered -- would you pay another $6/month to get the same channels from either one of the distant networks or a DMA next door to you?

- John...

4. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    Heck yeah!
    Right now I am in the Duluth, MN DMA, which doesnt get locals (yet..damn it Charlie..you said in December they were coming January..but they werent listed on the chat). However, I moved to my lake house, which does get Mpls locals and FOX distant. Once Duluth becomes available, I have to decide if I want another acct with Duluth locals on it or move back to my billing address and lose Mpls & FOX.

tough decisions.......what sucks is the cable company in the town where my lake house is has both Mpls locals and Duluth locals (minus CBS)

5. jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    I can see people wanting two DMAs if they are near to both -- but I'm not entirely clear why people would pay for their local DMA plus distant networks... What does a feed out of NY or LA, for example, supply to you that you aren't getting out of your DMA locals that would make you pay more to get another NBC, CBS, ABC, or FOX?

I currently have distant networks out of NY -- and my DMA locals will be in as soon as my SuperDish is installed. At that point, I'll immediately drop the distants because I just don't see any reason to pay an extra $6/month to keep them. What am I missing?

- John...

6. speedy882001

speedy882001 AllStar

Dec 17, 2002
    I pay $12 a month to get locals from TWCable because Dish does not offer locals to me. With TWC I do get two of each network(ABC,CBS,NBC,UPN and one FOX) as well as a few other shopping chanels and local access chanels.

Would be glad to drop it if Dish would offer locals.

7. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I would like to get the San Francisco locals in addition to the current Sacramento locals.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Locals not available, uplinked since September to 105º but not available. Promised by end of January in the December Charlie Chat, but not available. Grumble.

I do OK off the air and don't get any out of DMA channels Grade B, so locals under my policy would be the ones I can get OTA with a coathanger. (Well, almost.:) ) But given the choice of having a second network I would choose the next DMA over or up, not NY or other distants. Cable in my town is local locals only, but I've lived in border towns where we got both sets and loved the variety.

IF I could get my locals and another market's I'd probably subscribe ... but I'm not paying for just MY locals or "distants". It's not worth it to me.

JL

9. Ha Ha

Ha Ha Guest

Thanks jgoggan for starting this poll figures should be interesting. The reason I want NY is the fact that my local ABC CBS NBC & FOX have a tendency to preempt network programming because THEY feel the show in question is objectionable or want to air some local crap during prime time. I feel real sorry for the people who live in SLC UT they got it bad from what I heard the
    church owns an affiliate and they are always preempting this or that. LA I want more for the time shift ER or Without a trace. Having LA I don't have to choose I can see them both. As for My wish list of locals I would pay to get locals from Miami El Paso And Tampa/St.Pete. cities from my childhood and a little piece of home from hundreds of miles away. I wish any DMA was available to any one who wanted it but imagine the bandwidth needed to do that.

10. Bobby94928

Bobby94928 Hall Of Fame

May 12, 2003
    I live in California in the San Francisco DMA. I have locals, plus distants from LA and NY. Why you ask? NY lets me watch prime time beginning at 6PM. Both of the distants allow me to watch sports that are unavailable from the SF locals. I am able to watch live events, live, from NY. We are time shifted in the west. An example is, lets say, the Academy Awards. They start at 8PM. I am able to pick up the NY feed and start at 5PM and see the live event. If something bleepable happens the west coast feed is bleeped and the live feed often isn't. Just a few reasons.

11. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    A method to resolve scheduling conflicts. If you don't want to miss a favorite show you would otherwise have to have another receiver (or dual tuner model).

Picture and sound quality. Based on some of the complaints, they aren't the murky mess a few of the locals from Dish are. Also, many locals are still delivering mono or simulated stereo.

No pre-emption of "offensive" shows or other failure to deliver the network schedule.

12. freakmonkey

freakmonkey Banned User

Sep 11, 2003
    I would pay for more than the 3 DMA's That I get currently. I get L.A. N.Y. and JAX FL. I want Dallas Atlanta and Chicago but E* says I can only have up to 2 distant net. I wish so wish Miami Ft.Lauderdale was not on the spots or I would have those on a separate account yes I would get a separate account to add a receiver with Miami locals if I could get them. One poll question I found lacking was would you move to get distant nets. It certainly is talked about a lot here and on other forums so if you did move like me to get locals post it.

13. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    I get my Greensboro locals, NY distants and LA distants from Directv. They're worth every penny.

I wish Directv could also let me get (for a buck or 2 per DMA) every other market available via spot beam coverage for my house. Currently that would include Charlotte NC and Asheville NC/Greeneville SC, with Roanoke VA, Columbia SC, Knoxville TN, Chattanooga TN and Tri-cities TN possibly coming soon depending on the size of the spots.

14. psycaz

psycaz AllStar

Oct 4, 2002
    I wouldn't mind distant locals for times I forget something is on and didn't set the pvr, or if I get a rain outage during a show...

15. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Bring on the channels. :D

16. jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    Wow. I am actually surprised that so many people are willing to pay extra for the distants.

To be honest, I think the readership here is a different group of people than most though -- more technically knowledgeable and willing to do such things.

My guess is that the "average Joe" would be satisfied with their DMA's locals and would not pay additional to get another FOX/CBS/NBC/ABC via distant networks.

I think the "wanting another close DMA" is a different issue completely...

Interesting stuff!

- John...

17. awax

awax Legend

May 9, 2003
    Well when I get my SD installed I will have locals from Ft. Smith/Fayetteville, Ark. but I can get 3 other DMA's on Cox cable or OTA, so I would like to get those channels as well.
    Major Networks Available on Cox Cable or OTA here.

ABC
    KHOG-Fayetteville, AR
    KTUL-Tulsa, OK

CBS
    KFSN-Ft. Smith, AR
    KOLR-Springfield, MO

NBC
    KFAA-Fayetteville, AR
    KSNL-Joplin, MO

Fox
    KPBI-Fayetteville, AR
    KOKI- Tulsa, OK (at night OTA)

18. Broadband Lab Rat

Broadband Lab Rat AllStar

Nov 3, 2003
    Even with a PVR, having networks offered twice two hours apart makes it possible to record two things that are on at the same time on different networks thanks to the time shift.

19. freakmonkey

freakmonkey Banned User

Sep 11, 2003
    Befor I made the switch from cable I was an average Joe still am My switch was not willingly it was beacuase the rural neighborhood I really moved to from Miami did not have the digital cable I took for granted. I looked for alternitves and found E*. That was before locals were available available in Jacksonville. It burned me up. I found out I could ask for a waiver and of course they were denied then I read shiva and reread it & spent countless hours on the phone with E* and my locals to no avail :bang I then realized I could "move" and I havent lived in Jacksonville since I moved here 3 years ago. I am a tv geek so when I started visiting forums and realized that E* has the technology in place to bring me over 100 stations from the south east and the CONUS channels well lets just it would be so cool to have those channels at my disposal. But hey that is just a pipe dreamlike the flying car or the transporter from star trek.

20. EchoDork

EchoDork AllStar

Jan 13, 2004
    Welcome to bureaucratic red tape. From tech support experience, I'd say probably 70% of people who get locals would probably be interested in getting MORE locals. Sadly, it's not even E*'s decision... trust me, if Charlie could take more of your money every month, he certainly would. It's not a broadcast or a technology issue, it's just a legal one. The affiliates dictate which market you're in and whether you qualify for DMAs or not. They just tell E* what YOU qualify for, and E* has the option of selling them to you. Waivers go directly through the affiliates, and again, E* just hears the yes or no.

I'd love to get Washington, Baltimore, and New York locals. Tell that to the local car dealerships, though. Tell them I'd rather watch The Simpsons with New York commercials than view their crappy advertising, and see what they say. :sure:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.