Do you have to talk to a CSR to "move"?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tsmacro, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 4, 2006 #1 of 389
    tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    I was kicking around the idea to "moving" to a corner of my DMA that would allow for more flexibility in getting distant networks. I checked my account online today to see if there was a way to do this on the website. Well it seems that you can change your billing address on there but not the service address, at least not anyway that I could figure out anyway. So does this mean i'd actually have to call to get my service address changed but keep my billing address the same? That in itself might make up my mind against it as I can just imagine how that could screw up things if a clueless CSR started making changes to my account! :lol: Anway just looking for a little info from those "in the know". Thanks!

2. May 4, 2006 #2 of 389
    matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    Dunno about E* - but with D* you have to call, and it wasn't a big deal at all (took me about three minutes)

3. May 4, 2006 #3 of 389
    dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Yes, it's the same for E*...

4. May 4, 2006 #4 of 389
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Sorry, but yes you do have to call.

See ya
    Tony

5. May 4, 2006 #5 of 389
    tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    hmmm.....ok I guess the drill is then: "Ok i've moved here's my new address, but I want my billing address to remain the same."? It would seem they would know what you were actually up to, but the average CSR can be pretty clueless. That and I guess Dish probably figures that anyone that does that will probably subscribe to distant nets and make them more $$$ so they don't scrutinize it too closely. The funny thing is i've on occasion "moved" a new customer across a DMA border before myself if they live close to the border and they were wanting the locals from the other side of the line. But of course when setting up a customer you have the option to fill in a different billing address from their service address. I guess one you're already a customer you're not allowed to change the service address without CSR imput though, oh well. It'll give me something to think about, I probably won't care too much until football season and the fall tv schedule starts anyway.

6. May 4, 2006 #6 of 389
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    You are assuming that these people actually care :)

You have the right set of events. "I moved. Here is my new address. Pleasae DO NOT CHANGE my billing address. Thanks. I now want to get the locals channels for the new address. BTW, do I qualify for distant network channels? Great. Sign me up."

That is all there is to it. (Assuming you get a CSR that knows what he's doing).

Also keep in mind that the new address affects the RSN and all sports will be blacked out of the new or old RSN for 24-48 hours.

See ya
    Tony

7. May 4, 2006 #7 of 389
    tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...

Well I really don't have to "move" very far i'm already near the edge of the broadcast signals for my locals anyway. One of the four nets have given me a waiver but the other three refuse, i've tried 5 or 6 times now. I know a couple of people who live just maybe about another 5 miles north of me and they've gotten waivers for two of the networks so I don't have very far to "go". I've checked some addresses for towns about half an hour away on the dish site and they say they qualify for distants, good news is that i'll still be in my own DMA so i'll keep the locals I want, keep my RSN's but just get the added bonus of having some distants that I'd like as well. Anyway like I said I have some time to think about it, since this television season is about over anyway it's not going to be a big concern until the fall.

8. May 4, 2006 #8 of 389
    psnarula

psnarula Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    I "moved" from baltimore DMA to greensboro, NC DMA last december right as the NC State / Alabama game was about to start on fox sports net south. i did the move and only missed about 3 minutes of the game. so it certainly wasn't 24-48 hours for me.

also -- i gave the CSR a "story" -- i figured it was eaiser that way. i told them that my home owner's association was complaining about the dish so i moved it to my vacation home while i waited for the HOA board to make a decision. the csr tried to be helpful by telling me that it is illegal for HOA's to outlaw dishes as long as they are in the back yards. i told the CSR that i would make a note of that but that i had already moved the dish to my vacation home so for now please change over my locals. she did it and 3 minutes later i had greensboro locals. of course, i had to move back to baltimore with the decision to move greensboro to spotbeam. but that's another story.

9. May 4, 2006 #9 of 389
    BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Have them read back both addresses after they make the change.

10. May 4, 2006 #10 of 389
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The nerve of E* to make it awkward for its subscribers to lie about their service address.....

11. May 4, 2006 #11 of 389
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I know what you mean. I just have to shake my head at this stuff.

12. May 4, 2006 #12 of 389
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    If you're planning on lying, you need to rehearse your scenario. I'd suggest that we start a contest for the silliest, the most believeable, and the most awkward explanation for keeping a service address separate from a billing address.

Silly:
    I like to watch TV while I eat, and there's a great truck stop there, and they said I could watch what I wanted if I paid for the subscription.

Believeable:
    I'm going to school there this semester. (Yes, the nearest college is 40 miles away, is that a problem?)

Awkward:
    My wife kicked me out of the house for watching too much Playboy. The new address is my mom's attic.

Please contribute. This could become part of the Knowledge Base. :lol:

13. May 4, 2006 #13 of 389
    Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I don't believe in this whole "moving" thing. But what is so hard about saying that you want to move service to 666 Satanic Ritual Lane which is my new vacation home but I want the bills to go to my original address 1234 Elm Street?

14. May 4, 2006 #14 of 389
    Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    I don't see what the big deal is. A friend of mine said he went on the Dish website and changed his billing address to what he wanted the new service address to be. Then he called Dish to tell them he noticed his service address needed to match his billing address so they changed it to match. Then he went back online added the locals and changed the billing address back to whatever he wanted I guess.

Someone else I know never bothered to change the address when they moved so they get the locals they used to get at their old house and were happy with them and didn't want to change to new stations.

15. May 4, 2006 #15 of 389
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    the sat providers really dont care, but the local stations and the FCC do. And if the providers get caught knowingly allowing "movers" they can be fined....just because sat technology makes it possible to get stations form other markets, deosnt make it right to do it...just like so many other things....

If you get caught, its your a**...If the provider gets caught and fined, its your money they use to pay the fines instead of offering better service for the rate hikes....if getting another market to watch some precious sports team or other local market channels is that important to you, move for real....

16. May 5, 2006 #16 of 389
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Technology is also making it harder for people to 'move'. Spotbeams make it so you have to be in the spot to get the channels. Sure are a lot less E* markets on ConUS than there were a few weeks ago. :) So while it is still physically possible to leave your DMA for another, you can't get signals from markets as far away as you once could.

When E* starts uplinking the remaining markets and revisits SV stations it will make minor moves (such as to neighboring DMAs) less attractive and distants may simply not be offered if there is any other option.

BTW: Do you know how much the fine is that E* would be required to pay? Has any satellite carrier ever had to pay such a fine? Not that lack of enforcement or a weak penalty makes it right (see Potpourri/Watercooler threads about Uno de Mayo).

17. May 5, 2006 #17 of 389
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Who are you kiding? You want to lie and cheat and you are nervous about being caught.:rolleyes: In your next post you say, "It would seem they would know what you were actually up to, but the average CSR can be pretty clueless."

You bash Dish for likely screwing up your illegal activity and you bash Dish for being gullible.

I'ts too bad there isn't a way to add dishonest dish bashers to a "Buddy List - NOT." :)

18. May 5, 2006 #18 of 389
    clapple

clapple Godfather

Feb 11, 2003

Am I correct in that NY and LA are CONUS and the rest are spot beams? Is there a source to find out, for sure? I have seen various discussions, where one claims a certain city is Conus and another says it is spot beam.:confused:

19. May 5, 2006 #19 of 389
    tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Nice to see the "morality police" in full effect here.:rolleyes: Sorry if I don't see lying about my adress by a few miles so I can have the ability to access additional programming a threat to my immortal soul! :lol: Anyway since it's not likely to effect any of y'all in any real way I think you can keep your judgements of my character to yourselves and just chill. And to those who've actually addressed the topic that I asked about I appreciate your imput!:)

20. May 5, 2006 #20 of 389
    btyko

btyko New Member

May 8, 2005

I agree with you 100%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.