Do You Like The Apple TV App?

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by B. Shoe, Sep 18, 2019.

1. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    The Apple TV app has been out for about six months. For those of you in the Apple ecosystem for streaming, do you enjoy using the app? Do you use it very often to find content, or just bounce around to individual apps?

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I use it quite a bit, it is very handy and works well.

That said, neither Netflix nor any of the cable/sat replacement streamers are part of it. For those you have to go to the individual apps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I use Siri as much as anything. But on the Apple TV app on the Apple TV itself if you add stuff to the list it will pull it from places like Netflix, amazon, and such as well...

4. espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    Playstation Vue integrates with the Apple TV app, sort of. In particular, if you select a game from the sports section, it will take you directly to the channel on Vue where that game is being broadcast.

The development work that Vue has done on the Apple ecosystem is actually pretty impressive. They fully support the single sign-on option for individual channel apps, so in most cases you don’t have to do the “type in this code on a computer” procedure. They support multi-view of up to 4 channels on the Apple TV. The iPad Vue application supports Picture-in-Picture, so you can get a small video box that overlays other apps, so you can watch TV while you surf.

I’ve been playing with the service because they picked up the NHL Network. The interface is far more of a mess than YoutubeTV, the DVR doesn’t work nearly as well, and they don’t match YTTV for stream stability (I get infrequent but noticeable pauses and skips in the video streams on Vue). It’s still a good example of what could be done with the integration framework that Apple provides.

I find the “TV” app is really helpful for apps like HBO go where tracking progress across multiple seasons isn’t very straight forward. Using the unified Apple “TV” app allows for 2 clicks for me to watch the next episode of Ballers or Last Week Tonight, instead of hunting through the HBOGO menus to see where they buried those series today.

B. Shoe and lparsons21 like this.
  5. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    I think you'll see others do this as well, in the future. I'm enjoying using the Apple TV app, and there's a high ceiling on how others can integrate it with their content. That's got me excited.

espaeth likes this.
  6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Tried it a few times, keep looking at it and don't see any reason to use it. Keep in mind, I don't watch TV as most folks here do.

Rich

B. Shoe likes this.