1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you turn your receivers off evertime?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by BAMAJAS, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BAMAJAS

BAMAJAS Cool Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Evertime I hit the power off button on my remote it turns off the TV and the receiver. Do you turn off your receiver everytime you turn off yout TV or just turn off the TV and leave the receiver on?

2. Igor

Igor Godfather

Jan 3, 2005
    The receivers are mostly "on" even when the front panel LED is off. It does not matter, but I normally use the TV off button and get my box off at the same time, it is nice to get rid of the LEDs ;-)

3. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    I turn everything off when I am not using something. Just a habit I have and not for any technical reason.

4. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    With the exception of my three remaining DTivos (which don't have the standby button on the remote).

All the other recievers (H20, R15, R15) are shut off.

The R15's are shut down because it tells the unit, I am done watching it... and it can do it's other work.

The H20... It is my secondary HDTV reciever so it is used maybe twice a week.

5. msmith

msmith Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    I turn them off when I'm not using them. For most receivers it saves a little power for the part of the receiver that produces the signal to the TV.

For my HDTivo, it does what Earl says - it knows that I am not actually watching and can do cleanup or use both tuners for recording.

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    All the D* receivers I have ever used, are always cooler when they are off, so for straight receivers, I always recommend turning them off when not in use.....excessive heat is the 1st enemy of electronics.....

DVR's are never off unless you unplug them, but they *MAY* do better housekeeping if you put them in standby.....

7. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I have never turned any of my DTivos or non-Tivos off when not in use. Just as I do not turn any of my PCs off when not in use.

Main reason for the DTivos is I want to see my two live buffers when I can't sleep at night and turn on the TV.

I guess that's the price to pay for DTV's new advanced technology....make sure you turn everything off at night when you never had to before. Go figure.

8. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    i ALWAYS TURN MINE OFF,,IN HOPES IT DOWNLOADS AT NIGHT INSTEAD OF WHEN I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF WATCHING SOMETHING. BUT THAT STILL HAS NEVER HAPPEND

9. cobra2225

cobra2225 Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    i started turning my off in hope's it would help me from buying a new one every
    5-6 months

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.