do you want to disable VOD?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Frostwolf, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frostwolf

Frostwolf Legend

May 9, 2006
    Ok, after having nothing but trouble with Dish's VOD software on my 508's. And not wanting the 508s to die becuase the HD is running 24/7.

I have started a petition to have dish network include an option in the setup menu to disable Video on Demand downloads

http://www.petitiononline.com/VODOFF/petition.html

Help Spread the word please.

Please sign the petition, I don't feel having the option to turn it off is to much to trouble.

Thanks
    James

2. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    umm, yeah, no thanks!!!!

3. Frostwolf

Frostwolf Legend

May 9, 2006
    Why?

Wants wrong with an option to turn it off? If you want it, don't turn it off. Simple right?

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If the option to turn it off required losing all of your recordings would you still want to disable VOD?
    If the option to turn it off was a chargeable option (like not connecting a phone line on a dual tuner reciever)?

Not saying that these are options E* would give, but a lot of people have noted the desire to turn off VOD and I'm curious: What is it worth to you?

BTW: Even with the description of the ViP-622-1 DVR the 500GB hard drive is described as having "more room for VOD". Perhaps with season tickets and other new charging methods (as well as HD VOD) more space for VOD will be helpful - but it doesn't seem to be in the goals of E* to turn off VOD.

(My minimum request for the 622-1 is to at least make the expansion proportional, give us more "My Recordings" space proportional to the VOD size increase.)

5. Frostwolf

Frostwolf Legend

May 9, 2006
    All good questions, but if they actually program something correctly, it could be done so as to not lose recordings, I believe all of them use a seperate partition on your drive anyways, one your likely not to recover by not using vod.

I'm already losing recordings because of the VOD software on my 508's. thats why i'm starting this petition.

a 500gb hard drive will wear out the same as an 80gb hard drive.

Charging you not to use something, Isn't that the Governments domain? :)

All good questions, but we won't get answers unless we try.

6. Zero327

Zero327 Godfather

Oct 10, 2006
    Petitions carry no weight with DISH but have fun anyways!

7. Hall

Hall Icon

Mar 4, 2004
    Most modern filesystems can be resized on-the-fly nowadays, with no loss of data.

Put it this way: VOD is worth NOTHING to me. I should never say "never", but I never foresee using Dish's VOD. In my case, they're wasting drive space.

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I don't care about VOD... and if I could turn it off and recover some significant useful recording space, I would do that.

But... since they didn't promise me recording time based on space they had already reserved then I wasn't ripped off in any way.

What I don't know, however, is for the receivers like the 5XX series... did they usurp more space than was already reserved when they enabled VOD? If so, then I see a reason for complaints... If not, then they didn't take anything away you weren't already missing.

So far, even with cable VOD I haven't seen where it is of value to someone like me anyway... so I would choose not to have it if I could... I'm just not losing sleep over it right now.

9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I wouldn't say I'll never use it, but things were going just fine without it too...

10. Frostwolf

Frostwolf Legend

May 9, 2006
    The 508 series was a reliable machine before VOD, now it can't even record a show sometimes, and it locks up more frequently. Now I've got to unrealiable boxes. And it better not miss 24.

11. jrb531

jrb531 Icon

May 28, 2004
    One time reformat?

Yes!

What an utter and total waste of space. As more and more (I hope LOL) HD comes online that drive space will be smaller and smaller.

I wonder if they could add an option to record the show in SD even if the source is in HD? This way I could save space on shows that I could not care less if they were in HD. Right now this is not an issue but later I can see it. The record space on the 622 is pretty small for HD and knowing that a bunch of space is sitting there unused because I will NEVER buy a VOD until they are about a buck (will never happen) it irks me that I might have to shell out $$$ for an external USB drive just to be able to have space to record HD.

-jb

12. Frostwolf

Frostwolf Legend

May 9, 2006
    Ok, its obvious from the postings on the sites I've asked for help that some people don't understand what VOD is or understand how it works.

VOD is Video on Demand. It alows your dish receiver to download a choice of movies onto your DVR (digital video recorder) equipment. Once downloaded you can then choose to watch them for a fee. Same thing as Pay Per View except its already on the hard drive in your DVR.

What effect does this have
    1. DVR is constantly working to bring you VOD
    2. Hard Drive failure IS going to happen, VOD will speed it up.
    3. Cooling systems are going to turn on to keep the system cooled if not ventilated well.
    4. Additional electricity is used to run the DVR all the time.
    5. Additional noise polution for those who can hear the DVR. See numbers 2+3.

13. eatonjb

eatonjb Legend

Nov 21, 2006
    the recorder does not record like a VCR, the DVR saves the signal in the raw form and it only decoded as it is played. so no takeing HD down to SD.

on the other note. VOD is useless . I have had this 622 for about 2 months, and it's never had more then 1 movie on the HD recorded!

comcast VOD is nice, Sat will never match it in quanity, but then the DVR works for me

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    VOD isn't working as "constantly" as one might believe. That is actually one of the flaws, IMHO, that it isn't seeking out every spare moment to find new content for the VOD selections. IMHO movies should be on VOD before they are available on PPV ... or at least on the first day. When you go in to "Movies on Demand" and a new PPV is "not available" it shows that it didn't get downloaded when first available and that VOD download isn't constant.

The actual incremental use of hard drive time and electricity seems like more of a joke than reality. It would be better to see numbers than blind claims that a receiver is using more power while recording than while "off". These receivers never turn off (even without VOD) unless you unplug them.

15. Frostwolf

Frostwolf Legend

May 9, 2006
    Ok, the 508 recievers, actually powered off the hard drive at one time, each component in your receiver can power on and off as it is needed.

It is true that it is on and waiting for the signal from a remote control. But the cooling fans aren't on, nor is the hard drive. I fought the cable companies lies for years when I worked on tv's that blew up because the used the cable box to turn the tv on and off all the time, when it actually needed to have power to it all the time to keep the clock working and settings from being lost.

I don't have actual numbers of watt usage on the receivers. But when you add up millions of receivers, it is power usage on a large scale.

I've never figured california people out ( no offense ) but they want electric cars, but can't keep the electricty on during hot summers. Thats one reason energy needs to be conserved. Granted its just a very small amount, but its a start.

16. reddice

reddice Godfather

Feb 18, 2003
    VOD is the worst thing Dish could have added to the 508. Ever since the useless update we have been getting missed timers and receiver freeze-ups.

The noise the stupid thing does during the night. Spinning up and running for a few minutes then spinning down just to spin up again in less than a minute. It keeps me up until around 2AM when it just stays spinning up. It is going to kill the hard drive.

The real beef is that if Dish is going to give us VOD, give us real VOD that the cable companies give you and not trying to milk more money for useless PPV crap that is going to make the receiver buggier, louder and wear out quicker.

I hope to get a 622 receiver soon. Liked the 510 until VOD.

17. Frostwolf

Frostwolf Legend

May 9, 2006
    Finally someone else losing sleep and timers just like me, Wait, that means, YES!! I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!!! HEHEHAHA as the CSR tells me no one else has a problem almost everytime I call. Maybe this is the proof I need to get me out of my padded room. :hurah:

Yes the 508 VOD implemintation is a joke. And the movies are the worst.

so maybe the other 522's and others work with VOD but its ruined my machines, I'm going to hook up a vcr just so I don't miss 24. :grin:

Thanks Reddice, I was starting to lose hope completely.

18. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    There are free VOD items on Cable some of which seem great.

Heating up and cooling down the hard drive does not help the lifespan either.

19. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm not impressed with VOD from cable either... but Dish's implementation is sorely lacking by comparison to cable.

The biggest problem I see here, are folks with 5xx series receivers that were used to one way of functioning with their DVR and now have a different function. While I do not share all the feelings, I can understand why there would be complaints there. My ViP622 came out of the box this way, and I knew that when leasing it... so no surprises with the VOD... but if I had a 5xx receiver and didn't want VOD and my receiver was subject to new problems as a result, I can understand the complaints about those models.

20. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Which is what happens when it is allowed to spin down, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.