1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DoD - Secret Diary of a Call Girl - auto downloaded? In HD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Mark Jay Jones, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Mark Jay Jones

Mark Jay Jones Cool Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Wow, is it just me or...

I noticed the other day looking at the Showtime DoD "by channel" list of programs to download that two episodes of the series "Secret Diary of a Call Girl" were already downloaded and available to play! And in HD no less!

I did not (and nobody else in my family) downloaded these two episodes. They appear to have been auto downloaded to my DVR!?!

The odd thing is that these don't show up in the "My Playlist" or even "Top Movies" (which you would think might contain an auto downloaded show). So you can't play them from here. But if you select them from the DoD list of shows, it gives you an option to play immediately, which appears to be the only way to play these shows.

Now, I do have a Showtime/TMC subscription, an HR21-700 and have the internet connection to enable DoD. The Showtime sub might be a requirement before the auto downloads occur.

Does anyone else see this? Do this:

1. Get into "On Demand"
    2. Select "Browse By Channel"
    3. Scroll down to Showtime - 1537
    4. Select "SHO Series"
    5. Select "Secret Diary HD" series to see the shows available

For me, Secret Diary S2 (series 2) episodes 7 and 8 are already downloaded and available.

Do you see this as well?

When did DirecTV start doing this?

A quick scan through other Showtime shows reveals 2 episodes of both "The L Word" and "United States of Tara" have been auto downloaded as well.

I'm not a fan of any of these shows, just was surprised to see this new "feature". I haven't seen any promotion by DirecTV (or Showtime) adding this feature to DoD.

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Episode 8 is that way for me too (but not #7). Weird.

3. juniormaj

juniormaj Legend

Feb 9, 2009
    Newbury...
    I first noticed this about 3 weeks ago. It could have been there for awhile for all I know since I hadn't browsed around in the 1000's lately.
    It seems to be limited to Showtime content at the moment.
    I'm guessing it's slightly different for everyone depending on hours of usage and the availability for DirecTV to push the shows to the receivers.

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I have seen other episodes of shows on Showtime the sameway, marked as downloaded. They were no where to be found on my DVR.

5. Mark Jay Jones

Mark Jay Jones Cool Member

Oct 2, 2007
    That is odd.

I normally keep my HR21 with at least 30-40% free space, so maybe DirecTV is using the available space to autodownload stuff. Sort of the same idea that the DirecTV Tivo's used available space to record suggestions automatically.

I wonder if these downloads are going into free space on the drive or the reserved area that the "Movies Now" go into?

6. juniormaj

juniormaj Legend

Feb 9, 2009
    Newbury...
    I'm pretty sure they are going into the reserved space with the movies, which I've read is as much as 100GB (depending on the model). I'm not sure why they've chosen to not have a folder for them, but maybe they are still sorting that all out. More likely scenario: the movies get a folder to keep reminding you about them since they are a money maker for DirecTV. There's no incentive for them to let you know the Showtime programs are on there, but if you are already going to channel 1537 you will get the bonus of it taking less time to start watching the most recent episodes.

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    its probably being pushed to movies now for promotional purposes

8. kryscio23

kryscio23 Godfather

Sep 4, 2007
    Don't complain, just watch :) Billie Piper is one in a million :)

9. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I've seen this on both my HR's with the new season of the Tudors. I can't find it in the "list" or in "Top Movies". I wouldn't have known it was there unless I did a keyword search for the Tudors.

The neat thing about this is I'm getting the newest episode a week before it airs on Showtime. I just think that there should be somthing to let you know it's there or put it in "Top Movies".

10. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, I also saw it with the Tudors when I was looking this past weekend.

The only way I noticed was because my wife asked me why some of the Tudors episodes in the DOD list had green check marks by them. They're not in the list and they're not in movies now, but if you select one, it doesn't say "add to queue", just "watch now" and if you start it, it's all there immediately.

11. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Yeah, I think anything with a green check by it means it's ready to play.