1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does a New Customer get a receiver choice?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by oleo3ys, Feb 21, 2012.

1. oleo3ys

oleo3ys Cool Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I have install scheduled for tomorrow and I hope someone can provide some answer to my question. I have read on the web that a new customer gets whatever the installer has on his truck. I will have two HD DVR's installed in the home. I would like to think that I have a choice as to what model HD receiver I will sign a 2 yr contract for, if you know what I mean. I think I am reading that the HR24 is a good one, and is a newer model. I am not concerned about the package or service so much, just the equipment. I think the dish should also be SWM technology as well, to reduce the number of cables installed outside the house. Can someone please post some helpful advice on this? Thanks:)

2. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    New installs TEND to get Hx24 receivers, especially if you ordered MRV, but it's not guaranteed. Best bet is to get a morning appointment, and ask the installer when he shows up.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Only way to guarantee from Directv on a normal order is to order an HMC HR34.

4. oleo3ys

oleo3ys Cool Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Thanks for the replies. Yes I did request the MRV (multi room viewing) and in addition I am requesting 3D capable equipment. By the way, should I be expecting new in the box equipment on a new service install? I am also learning that I should ask for a CC Kit, Cinema Connection Kit at the time of install, I might get that free and save $30 or so later. If the installer will bring the SWiM dish this might all work out.

5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Welcome to dbstalk.

If the installer calls while enroute ask them if they have HR24's for you. If not, you can politely request a rescheduled install when available.

Once you accept what they bring and its activated, you got it.

The HR34 HMC is a more expensive model than the 24 because it has 5 tuners vs 2, and is somewhat larger. You may have to pay extra for it and Directv will have to modify the order.

Good luck

6. oleo3ys

oleo3ys Cool Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Well, the install is set up for 8am to 12pm. I guess that is a morning install. I should get a call from the installer prior to. Perhaps when he calls I should ask him what equipment he plans to install?

7. oleo3ys

oleo3ys Cool Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I will only have two tv's on the service, I couldn't portend to need the HR34 at the present time.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    For some people, the number of tv's has no bearing. Before I got my hr34, I had more directv boxes active than I even had TVs.

9. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I had 5 DirecTivos connected to my Tv at one time lol

10. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    At one time I always had one extra DVR hooked up to the feed and the local network to MRV programming. That one was "mine" to record what I wanted. The other four were "ours" and seldom did I get to record what I wanted. LOL. No need to have a DVR hooked to a dedicated TV.

The reason many are springing for an HR34 is that it is much more capable than all the other HR models. For some more bucks in shipping you get a whole lot more capability.

11. oleo3ys

oleo3ys Cool Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I did my homework late, but this forum has been a great help in a short amount of time. I appreciate the input everyone. If the installer does not have the HR24 then I will have the opportunity for a possible course correction, or just more time to do some homework. Looking forwards to the change from cable to satellite.

12. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Yes, but I have been hearing a lot of problems with the HR34s so I think I will wait until they get a lot of those Bugs worked out.

Especially since it costs more!!! :hurah:

13. DaaQ

DaaQ Legend

Aug 20, 2008
    You should more than likely get 24s installed mainly due to the built in decas, unless you get a contractor then that may not be the case. But I could be wrong depending on what part of Tennessee we're talking about.

14. oleo3ys

oleo3ys Cool Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I was able to request and get the HR34/H25 setup installed and am generally pleased with the install and operation of the equipment. I was told that without the specific request I would have received the HR24 setup.

15. nsykes

nsykes Cool Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Peoria, AZ
    Wow! That's great that they gave you a 34. Did you have to pay more?

16. oleo3ys

oleo3ys Cool Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Yes, the $100 that is advertised.