1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else own a Sony KF-42WE610 & HR20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by edmartin, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 7, 2007 #1 of 17
    edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    I'd love to compare notes with you if you have an HR20 and this Sony model. In fact, I'd love to talk with anyone that has any variety of this model (so KF-**WE610).

2. Jan 7, 2007 #2 of 17
    PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Are you having a problem with your TV and the HR20? I have a Sony KDF50WE655, the next years model from yours.

3. Jan 7, 2007 #3 of 17
    wmschultz

wmschultz DBSTalk Club Member DBSTalk Club

Jul 18, 2006
    You could check AVS forum under the DISPLAY area.

Perhaps use the search feature over there, it is pretty good.

4. Jan 7, 2007 #4 of 17
    edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    Yes. The issue is fuzzy/blurry channels and/or menus. I have a work-around but it's still driving me nuts. Here's the scenario...

I got Directv in mid-November. The HR20's were back-ordered so they installed me with an H20. The installer set it up for 1080i resolution only and native mode off. Prior to D*, I had Adelphia (yuck) and their HD DVR. That was also set to 1080i only. The Adelphia box & the H20 both worked just fine across all channels (480, 720 like ESPNHD and 1080). For what it's worth, the prior boxes were all connected via component cables.

Last weekend, I got my HR20. I used exactly the same cables (other than, of course, connecting the 2nd sat coax input which the H20 didn't have/need). And I used the same settings (native off and 1080i only). And so it began...

- SD channels were VERY fuzzy/blurry. Vastly different from the H20.
    - HD channels (720 & 1080) looked great. But the menus/guide were fuzzy.

So I went on my trek of trying everything I could think of. I tried different component cables. I tried HDMI instead of component (I had to get an HDMI to DVI adapter because the 42WE610 doesn't have HDMI, just DVI). And I tried every combination of native on/off and the various HR20 supported resolutions on/off.

What I came up with out of all of that was that I could get clear SD channels (equivalent to the old H20) by turning native mode on and having all HR20 resolutions on. However, menus/guide on HD channels still looked fuzzy.

So, I suspected the HR20. I went back to Circuit City & exchanged it the next day (lucky for me, they still had another). No change. But again, I tried every combination as above (you know, the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome?).

The folks on this forum have been awesome at suggestions - through public posts & PM's. I did learn that my TV isn't really 1080i even though it's supported. The native resolution is 1386 x 788. So I went down the 720 path. No luck.

And I've gone through every setting one can think of on the TV itself. No luck.

As above, I've sort of settled in to using native on and all resolutions on on the HR20. I get clear pictures on all channels but I still have fuzzy menus/guide in HD. The time it takes to switch resolutions when surfing is annoying but it's a heck of a lot better than fuzzy pictures.

So, I'd love to compare notes with other owners of the same TV. I think I've found & tried all settings across the HR20 and the 42WE610 but maybe not. Plus, misery loves company!

5. Jan 7, 2007 #5 of 17
    edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    Thanks. Yes I did a similar posting over the in the appropriate Sony user forum/thread.

6. Jan 7, 2007 #6 of 17
    richlife

richlife Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2006
    Hey, Ed. Now I certainly see why you're frustrated. You know I don't have the same TV (and I definitely get clear and crisp HD menus), but I did want to ask what you see with Bloomberg (Ch. 353). That's one of the most challenging "menu"-type SD channels (I guess MSNBC, etc. might be similar, but I don't watch them). Since it's SD I see some fuzziness on the text (and the scrolling report takes real focus to be able to read because of it).

I guess it doesn't make much difference how this looks for you, but I would think that Bloomberg might be a "worst case" and if it can be fixed (assuming you see problems) almost everything else should be good.

7. Jan 7, 2007 #7 of 17
    chrisfowler99

chrisfowler99 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    I've got the 60WE610 and have no issues at all.

My SD channels look better than the did with my HR10-250 and my HD channels and menus are clear.

I'm using HDMI through a Denon receiver, then an HDMI->DVI cable.

I've also used component and it's clear as well...

8. Jan 7, 2007 #8 of 17
    edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    With my "normal" settings of native on and all resolutions enabled on the HR20, 353 auto-adjusts to 480i. All of the text is very clear. The crawling text is fuzzier than the rest of it but it all looks darned good.

On the old H20 (which I still have because D* hasn't sent the return box yet) 353 looks just as good when I'm locked to 1080i & native off. That's what's been so annoying - I've just felt like I should be able to get the HR20 to do it the same. But alas...

9. Jan 7, 2007 #9 of 17
    edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    Interesting. Sorry to pepper you with questions, but... Do you have native on or off on the HR20? Do you have all resolutions enabled? Do you manually jump to different resolutions or formats when you go between SD & HD? Is your D* guide just as crisp on HD channels as it is on SD? And maybe most important, on the Sony setup menu, what are your Video & Screen settings?

10. chrisfowler99

chrisfowler99 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    Native off, outputting 720p only.
    I never change the resolutions/formats.
    The guide looks the same everywhere.
    Settings:
    Video:
    Picture, 75ish%
    Brightness: 45ish%
    Color: 30ish%
    Hue: 50ish%
    Sharpness: 10ish%
    Color Temp: Neutral
    NR: Off
    Mild Mode: On

Screen:
    4:3 Default: Off

11. lmurphy

lmurphy Legend

Jul 25, 2004
    I have the exact set up you have and I leave the native on. The picture and the menus all look better with the native on for me and I also use a HDMI to DVI cable. I use to use 1080i all the time. But after some testing, using the native on I thought the picture was noticeable better. I am now starting to notice red,blue& dark blobs on certain shots such as a white or light colored background on the tv.

12. edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    Thanks! Very different result on my end - blurry on the SD's. Can you confirm that the 720p light is the one on on the front of the HR20?

13. dlt21

dlt21 AllStar

Sep 12, 2006
    Ed
    I use this for sd and HD
    1080I Res. only
    Native off

Picture 100%

Bright 75%

Color 70%

Hue 50%

Sharpness 60%

Color Temp Warm

NR Low

Mild mode Off

14. chrisfowler99

chrisfowler99 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    Yup. That's the light.

15. edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    Ugh. Well, I'm stumped. Not all Sony's are made the same apparently. Maybe yours is newer or maybe I've got some statistically improbably situation where 2 HR20's in a row have the same issue with my TV (or maybe I'm a loon). I just can't get it to look right without native on and all resolutions on. Very weird. But I'm not even sure what else to ask or look at.

Thanks for the replies though, folks!!!

16. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    May I say call Sony?
    You're doing a good job of "working the problem".

17. edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    I believe you are very right. I'll call tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.