Does coax length really matter ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Joe C, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    I'm going to relocate my SL3 from the roof in the front of the house to the back of the house strictly for asthetic reasons. My neighbors trees fell down in a wind storm witch opened up new dish mounting locations for me. I have 3 routes to choose from each with varying amounts of work to get the coax from the dish to the Zinwell WB68 switch wich is located in the basement. The longest route would use 50' of coax and the shortest would use maybe 30'. With short runs like these and using solid copper cable does the extra 20' of cable length really matter ?

BTW, The length of cable from the Zinwell to the DVR's is about 4'.

2. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    You'll be fine. Length only becomes an issue when you start approaching the 150' mark.

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If you do not have any non-swm capable receivers, consider replacing the SL3 with a SL3-SWM LNB and replacing the multiswitch with a splitter. The cost of those two items would about equal 3 extra runs of coax from the new dish location, and would put you in the ready for the new Multiroom video, and other goodies coming down the line from DirecTv...Just an idea.

4. 2dogz

2dogz Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    Well, you don't need SWM for the multiroom video feature. You need SWM to be able to run ethernet over the coax when it becomes available. The MRV just needs a good ethernet connection, no matter how it is supplied.