1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does D* allows intermittent activating of a 3rd receiver?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by box986, Nov 14, 2009.

1. box986

box986 Cool Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I would like to activate my 3rd receiver for the months only when I have guests staying over. Will D* allow me to activate this 3rd reciver for a month and then I can remove it from service until the next time I need it? I would probably do this 2 or 3 times a year and would rather pay the $10-15 instead of $60.

Thanks!

2. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    If the receiver is owned, yes. If it's leased they may ask for it back after you deactivate. If you currently have it deactivated then you're probably fine.

3. box986

box986 Cool Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I assume it is owned. It is a Sony receiver that I purchased a while ago and will be replacing it soon w/a HD receiver. I pay $5 extra for my 2nd receiver and also assume that is owned. I paid about $80 for that one.

4. or270

or270 Icon

Feb 12, 2006
    I have activated for just a couple of days then deactivated, you get charged a partial rate.

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    If it is currently receiving MPEG4 channels from D* it is probably a leased receiver. $80 would probably be a lease upgrade fee on a H20/H21 or H23. You can easily call D* and ask if it is leased.:)

6. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    That's always dangerous.

7. box986

box986 Cool Member

Nov 8, 2009
    So D* does not charge an "activation fee" on top of the $5 monthly charge each time I call to activate?

8. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I don't know about an activation fee but I do wonder what happens to an access card that's been deactivated. Can, or how many times can, you reactivate it?

Does anyone know the answer to this one?

Mike

9. or270

or270 Icon

Feb 12, 2006
    No activation fee.

10. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

As others have stated, if you own this receiver (very likely if it is a Sony), you can activate it and deactivate it pretty much at will. There is currently no fee to do so and you should only have to pay a pro-rated portion of the $5 Additional Receiver Fee (by the way, if the $5 fee for that receiver shows on your bill as "Additional Receiver Fee" rather than "Leased Receiver Fee", that's a dead give-away that it's owned).

If you do upgrade to an HD receiver, that unit WILL be leased. Normally, when a leased receiver is deactivated, DirecTV requires that it is returned to them. You would not be able to activate/deactivate at will with a leased receiver.

11. AirShark

AirShark Legend

Oct 28, 2006
    Does DTV automatically extend your contract for this? I found out a month or so ago that when I activated my OWNED, used SD receiver over a year ago that DTV automatically added a two-year commitment to my contract.

12. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    That is incorrect. Only adding an additional leased receiver should extend your commitment. They made a mistake. You need to contact them to get this straightened out. The CSR will likely tell you that your commitment date cannot be reset, but notes will be put on your account. You need to insist that the notation is send to you in writing. If you have any problems with this, contact ellen.filipiak@directv.com.

13. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    A 2 year commitment is only for advanced equipment. SD receivers should only be 1-year commitments.

:)

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That is only if you are a current DirecTV subscriber. New subscribers require 2 years no matter what type of equipment is activated. Of course, in this situation, the OP is a current subscriber.

- Merg

15. Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    I have an older, owned R-10 that I activate/deactivate at times. I won't do it again though because I found out when I do so that it "changes" my grandfathered in free DVR SERVICE with my Premier Package. It always adds in that $6 DVR Fee then I have to e-mail Corporate to get it changed back (the CSRs cannot fix it).

Direct TV apparently has no way to flag my account to NOT add in the DVR Fee when changes occur. This happened also when I got my new HR-23 HD-DVR. I pray now that my other HD-DVR's don't fail whereby I have to get a new one or I'll have to go through the whole fight again.

16. AirShark

AirShark Legend

Oct 28, 2006
    Hmm...that's what I thought too. I'll have to get to the bottom of this! Thanks.

17. jcamp

jcamp Mentor

Jun 27, 2006
    I have a leased receiver R-22 (upgraded to HD)in my Motorhome and I just deactivated it for 4 months while the Motorhome is in storage. No charge, didn't have to send it back and no reactivation fee when I put it back on line in March.
    Joe

18. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I've seen others here mention that they have been able to hang onto deactivated leased receivers when they maintain service on other receivers.

19. INfield420

INfield420 AllStar

Mar 10, 2009
    Yes that would depend on the csr knowing what there doing and asking them to temporarily deactivate the receiver and will be reactivating again so they can put in the correct code so it won't automatically send a return kit.

20. mcrutland

mcrutland Legend

Dec 29, 2004
    I had an owned receiver that magically became a leased receiver when I deactivated it. Be careful. I was not in the mood to argue with them, so I sent it back.

It had been deactivated once before. I asked if it needed to be sent back. D* said I owned it. The second time I deactivated it, they wanted it back. You never know.