1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does DIRECTV carry AmericanLife network? Or plan to?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Drew2k, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm not having much luck finding it on DIRECTV's web site or in the guide...

There are a few shows on AmericanLife I haven't seen in years, and I'd love to see again.

Anyone know if AmericanLife is on DIRECTV now or if there are plans for it? There's no info on the AmericanLife website that helps me out here ...

Thanks.

2. gpg

gpg Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    DirecTV doesn't offer it now. I have no idea about any future plans to do so.

3. cadet502

cadet502 FHNSAB DBSTalk Club

Jun 17, 2005
    It's worth a call or an email to request they carry it. I've been waiting for Newhart for years.

4. EARTH2JUPITER

EARTH2JUPITER New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Hello! To answer your question NO they do not offer it.

The local cable company here has it, I, like others that post here, have requested it, but DirecTV has no record of anyone wanting it! And then there is the band width issue, no room for it now (but they have added THEN, MAN, Fox News Channel, Gospel Music Channel, and a few others, THEY DO NOT WANT TO ADD IT).

I canceled Starz!/Encore, No more PPV movies, with 24 hour time limit and signed up wth NetFlix, they have lots of the shows American Life TV is airing without commericals too! and I use them for my "PPV" now too!

Sorry DirecTV you loose, should have added this "baby boomer" channel that lots of your customers requested.
    :)

5. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
    Here is a link to send requests for the channel to both DBS providers and Comcast.They also list 3 toll-free numbers to each company to call,if you choose to do it that way.

http://www.goodtv.com/contact.php

I have already sent my request to DirecTV for the channel. :)

6. Glen_D

Glen_D Legend

Oct 21, 2006
    I, too, would like to see AmericanLife added, but since they are independently owned, it likely puts them at a disadvantage when negotiating with carriers (can't be packaged with other "must have" channels). My local TW Cable offers it, though.

I like the fact that AmericanLife shows classic TV shows that generally aren't aired on other cable/satellite channels.

7. traviszac

traviszac Cool Member

Mar 31, 2008
    a lot of American Life programming is on hulu.com

8. traviszac

traviszac Cool Member

Mar 31, 2008
    also check out joost.com and television.aol.com/in2tv --great amount of old shows and all legal.

9. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    The show in particular that led me to AmmericanLife was "Homefront", but it's actually been taken off their schedule. Despite that, I still saw enough on their schedule that I thought it would be a good channel to have.

I've tried hulu and AOL-TV for "Homefront", but had never heard of joost ... I'll take a look.

If anyone knows were to watch Homefront, let me know! Thanks.

10. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
    Joost is pretty good.I have had it on my laptop for awhile now.Beta tests were a pain in the beginning,but these days it works much better.

11. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I just looked at joost ... the navigation is funky. I just want lists of all programs, but it looks like I have to hover over thumbnails? Awkward ...

12. tpm1999

tpm1999 Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    It seems like they should just rename this channel: "What used to be on in the morning in the 80s"...

Man, infomercials really killed reruns...

I remember waking up to get my Lost in Space rerun fix...

But I guess that is what DVRs are for.

13. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Like TVLAND!!!!!

14. levibluewa

levibluewa Icon

Aug 13, 2005
    WA, OR, CA
    they could delete ION...what a worthless channel. 90% infomercials.

15. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    I'd like this channel too - unfortunately, Comcast is DUMPING it from our system at the end of the month, since they are now migrating everyone over from Insight prog/packages. :mad:

16. YKW06

YKW06 Legend

Feb 2, 2006
    Like TVLAND!!!!! Only ten years ago. Back when they still showed interesting programs on occasion. (Or the old CBN prime-time lineup from the mid-1980s.)

17. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Looks similar to RetroTelevision Network which just started to be carried locally on a sub-channel. I use the TiVo to capture a bunch of shows off of that...

http://www.rtnville.com/

It would be great if DirecTV carried both of them.

18. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    +1

19. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
    Sure would like to see this channel in middle TN too.It's currently available only in the Tri-Cities area in TN.

20. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    +1 to this channel. I've emailed DirecTV with my request for it....have you?