does DirecTV have any plans on launching a temp channel for Hurricane Harvey coverage.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Willh, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    remember last year when Hurricane Matthew affected the mid atlantic states and DirecTV launched a temp channel that had a rotation of local stations wall to wall coverage of Matthew. does DirecTV have any plans to launch a similar channel for the next few days while the zombie Hurricane Harvey hits the Texas coast lines with coverage from several TV stations in south Texas in the path of Harvey.

i want to know so we DTV customer can see what Harvey's doing from the POV of the local markets affected.

Sent from my RCT6873W42M using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  2. Visman

Visman Legend

Feb 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I just looked on the guide and their it's showing Sever Weather Channel on Ch 361-1, 361-2. But it just says "To be announced". It really doesn't matter to me because I am in the Stomes path.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    I am just south of you in Texas City, TX. It has already started to rain here.

4. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    i feel bad for the both of you as i'm not in the direct path of the storm as i'm in Campbell, which is in Hunt County as that's closer to Dallas then it is to the Texas coastline area.

if anything the only effect Harvey will have in North Texas is scattered Pop up showers and clouds and cooler temps for our area, which is great for our area.

to you guys down in South Texas in Harvey's path, stay safe and good luck as i don't want you guys to lose everything from this storm, we all here are thinking of you guys this coming weekend.

5. southsider

southsider New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Dallas
    If you have Roku, the NewsOn app and XTV offer local news from most TV markets in America.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    I looked at those and went to the 12pm time tomorrow and it drops the "upcoming". I assume they will be both live then.

7. Visman

Visman Legend

Feb 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I am just west of Texas City across from COM. Good Luck

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I hope all you make it out of the storm unscathed... good luck everyone!

Khaetra likes this.
  9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    LOL
    I am adjacent to the track and field South of COM ( College of the Mainland ) .

10. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Having a channel with hurricane coverage on satellite seems kind of pointless, since those being affected by it the most will have rain fade that prevents watching it!

Now if they offered regular Directv subscribers the ability to watch it via streaming somehow, it would be a lot more useful for a lot longer to those in the storm's path.

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    True but like me, I have sisters in Georgia and Florida that are watching it, and I feel certain there are thousands the same as me.
    People that have fled the area can see what is going on, maybe, at the destination where they stopped.

12. schmave1

schmave1 Active Member

May 20, 2016
    Reynoldsburg...
    As a former League City resident who still has tons of family and friends in the Bay Area, I will be watching 361-1 and 361-2 quite a bit this weekend. I love that DirecTV provides this service.
    Visman and jimmie57: Stay safe!

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Thanks. So far wind is 7 mph and rainfall from noon yesterday til noon today is 4.41" at my house.

14. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    HD

15. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    361-1 and 361-2 are active.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

16. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Yeah, they went live at around 2pm ET with a mix of KIII Corpus Christi, KHOU Houston, WOAI San Antonio and Weather Channel as filler.

Don't expect much local coverage until later tonight. The Houston station brokeaway for pre-season NFL and the San Antonio station went to network programming at 8pm ET, so right now it's a rotation of KIII, The Weather Channel and WeatherNation.

17. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    You can get it on channel 205 too...since it took over the Mix option (for those of you who do not want to change your channel preferences).

18. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    well, DirecTV has ended the temp channels special coverage of the storm.

Sent from my RCT6873W42M using Tapatalk

19. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    It is too bad they ended it but perhaps it's because it was downgraded to a Tropical Storm a few hours ago.

I liked 361-2 but inserting TWC into the mix was useless since TWC is on 362. I wish they kept up the local channels since the information on what has occurred is just as important as what's coming.

But there may be carriage agreements and national laws in effect here since it is no longer a hurricane and Directv couldn't broadcast the local channels nationally. This demonstrates in the age of streaming and global communication how old laws need fixing.

20. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Being able to do it had nothing to do with the status of the storm. The local channels they used went back to network programming. Towards the end they switched between multiple stations, including some that weren't part of the regular rotation like San Antonio's Fox affiliate, but each of them were just wrapping up their rolling coverage or moving it to an online platform like Facebook live. They ended it when the Corpus Christi station ended their coverage at 3pm ET.

The Weather Channel and WeatherNation were used as filler when the local stations went to commercial break, network programming or started covering other stories, or if The Weather Channel was showing something of note like live shots while the local station was just showing the same pre-recorded remote reports for the gazillionth time, so it's nice to include them in the rotation, especially if you're only watching 361-2.

There were also times during the brunt of the storm where it looked like the Corpus Christi station was having signal problems and the video kept blanking, so they switched over. (Including the time they noticed the panels and lights in their studio's ceiling were swaying and moved to a desk in their newsroom)

Also, the laws are already there. DirecTV and other providers can do this at anytime, as long as they only show stuff the local station has the rights to televise nationally. In the early days of DirecTV/USSB this is what the now defunct All News Channel pretty much did. The iffy part is when stations mix in syndicated content like Mr. Food and prepackaged reports from CNN NewsSource, ABC NewsOne, Fox NewsEdge, CBS Newspath, NBC News Channel, etc. There's also sports rights that can be a problem. (Even SportsCenter had to blur the screen on MLB clips during the early days of WatchESPN before they signed a new MLB rights deal)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017