Does DirecTV not cancel until end of billing period?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mika911, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Dec 1, 2020 #1 of 17
    mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    I cancelled DirecTV after 22.5 years via chat today, but it doesn't seem to have actually turned off. It says "scheduled for disconnect." Do they not turn it off until the billing period is over?

The only receivers I still had activated were HR20 and HR44. The HR44 is hopefully the only one I'll get charged the $135 fee on? I don't plan to return it, as I will watch some content on it for a couple months as I had already disconnected it from sat and moved it to another room.

I'm at YouTube TV for now, but honestly not sure I even need it most of the year.

2. Dec 1, 2020 #2 of 17
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Correct. AT&T|DIRECTV no longer pro-rate disconnected service (except where required by law). Service will end when the period you paid for ends.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  3. Dec 1, 2020 #3 of 17
    krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    if your in cali they can't pull that subscription BS. it's the only place i know that they have to prorate. since ca passed a law stating providers have to prorate unused service...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  4. Dec 2, 2020 #4 of 17
    mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Ok, once it hit midnight somewhere in USA, I received a cancellation email.

Wow. I thought I might have some time to change my mind. haha. It said if I had a credit, I would get a refund, but they probably keep it per what everyone said above. I had just paid the entire month when the statement came out last Friday.

So hopefully the only charge I get is on the HR44, which I'm ok to pay. Surely, they won charge for the HR20, fingers crossed.

5. Dec 2, 2020 #5 of 17
    mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Also sorry everyone for being annoying / indecisive, do I have a few days they can just magically turn it back on for me if I change my mind?

6. Dec 2, 2020 #6 of 17
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    If your indecisive you should have suspended your DIRECTV service. That would have allowed you the time to test the waters elsewhere to see if the grass is greener and reactivate your DIRECTV service if it isn't.

krel and mika911 like this.
  7. Dec 2, 2020 #7 of 17
    studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    They will charge you for the HR44 if you don't return it within (I think) three weeks. Regardless, once your service is terminated, you can't watch whatever content is on the dvr.

mika911 likes this.
  8. Dec 2, 2020 #8 of 17
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    You have until your billing period ends

mika911 likes this.
  9. Dec 2, 2020 #9 of 17
    mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    That's great advice, but I know I would be just as indecisive then.

If you don't have the RG6 connected when the disconnect hit, I should be able to watch for a while.

Thanks, that makes sense.

10. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    In my experience, you can force their hand and cancel earlier, in at least some circumstances. I sold my house this summer. The house closed about two weeks prior to the end of the billing cycle. The new owner attempted to establish service with Directv, who refused, saying there was already an account on the house (I had already called Directv and cancelled). After several calls, they relinquished and set the cancellation date for well before the billing cycle. They even sent me a credit (the credit was issued through a debit card with a $3 per month fee....which is insane in and of itself).

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That's not a particularly sound theory if you have a lot of content left to watch.

Depending on when the Genie is expecting its next authorization hit, it could just as easily go off the day after your billing cycle expires. Absence of a fresh authorization hit is just as debilitating as a de-authorization hit.

12. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    For whatever it's worth:

I have a recently-reconnected HR44 that had been off the coax for well over 2 years, unplugged from power, on and off for months at a time.

During that period there was never any time I couldn't play the recordings on it while it was booted-up.

(However, there's no reason to believe they couldn't have removed that ability with newer firmware than what it had back then.)

13. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    To each there own for sure but those must be some pretty important recordings to be willing to spend $135 to watch them...

14. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Another option is to move to a state that requires pro-rating by law.

krel likes this.
  15. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    What? You are going to spend thousands of dollars on a move in order to save hundreds on fees to Directv? Really?

krel likes this.
  16. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    I didn't see it in your post, did they specifically ask for the 44 back? Usually they tell you which devices they want back and which ones you have to self-recycle. I canceled service on one of my accounts in June and they told me to keep the HR44, HR24 and two C51's. I thought for sure they would want the 44 back, but they didn't want anything.

17. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    I canceled mine yesterday and it went out at midnight this morning I made it clear also that they have to prorate my bill and they can't pull that subscription bs on me. Got my return instructions for the genie 2 and the 4k minis.all within 24 hours. All I can say is good riddance to bad rubbish