Does dish offer any DVRs besides hopper?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by auburn2, May 7, 2020.

1. May 7, 2020 #1 of 34
    auburn2

auburn2 AllStar

Sep 8, 2005
    I went the the dish website and all I could find for customers was the hopper. Does dish still offer regular DVRs for its customers or do they have to get hopper now?

Dishdude714 likes this.
  2. May 7, 2020 #2 of 34
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There is a Hopper Duo which is a smaller version of the Hopper series (similar to the old two tuner VIP models).
    DISH also sells the Wally receivers which can be used as a single TV DVR by connecting an external USB hard drive.

crodrules and Dishdude714 like this.
  3. May 8, 2020 #3 of 34
    crodrules

crodrules Active Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    I have a purchased ViP612 that I am not using. If you would like it, just cover the cost of shipping, and it is yours.

4. May 8, 2020 #4 of 34
    patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    The Hopper IS the regular DVR at Dish. It comes in three varieties. Hopper - 3 tuners, Hopper3 - 16 Tuners, and the emasculated but a bit cheaper to rent, Hopper Duo. It is absolutely worth it to insist on a Hopper3 and even pay an upfront upgrade feet. It rents at the same price as a Hopper.

5. May 8, 2020 #5 of 34
    crodrules

crodrules Active Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    It is worth noting that the Hopper Duo is actually the fourth variety of Hopper. The other three are the original Hopper, then Hopper 2 (a.k.a. Hopper With Sling) and Hopper 3. The difference between the first two varieties is only important if you want to use the internet-connected Sling capabilities. Hopper With Sling has the Sling functionality built-in, while the original Hopper would require a Sling adapter.

DVR fees are the same regardless whether the receiver is rented or purchased. Any DVR (unless you are already grandfathered at a lower rate) would be $15 per month, even the old ViP models. The exception, as already noted, is Hopper Duo at only $10 per month. Fee-free DVR options would be the Wally (as also mentioned before) and the ViP211 series. Either of those options (Wally or ViP211) would require you to add your own hard drive and pay a one-time $40 fee for activating the DVR functionality.

renegade likes this.
  6. May 8, 2020 #6 of 34
    patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    I don't think the original Hopper is offered any more to new customers.

7. May 8, 2020 #7 of 34
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Plenty still deployed, but yes - most customers are going to get a Hopper w/Sling ("Hopper 2") if they don't get moved up to a Hopper 3 or down to a Hopper Duo or Wally based system. DISH's promotion varies based on the number of TVs and credit rating of the customer.

8. May 8, 2020 #8 of 34
    crodrules

crodrules Active Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    Let's also not forget that it is still possible to open a new account with a purchased receiver, rather than whatever model Dish is willing to lease to you. I know when I checked earlier this year, Dish was still allowing RV customers to open new accounts with purchased ViP211k receivers.

9. auburn2

auburn2 AllStar

Sep 8, 2005
    Thanks for the info. I really don't want to get the hopper (any of them), if they still offered the ViP 722/622 to new customers I would probably go with Dish again but I guess it appears they don't.

10. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    If you are willing to play around with their website you will find they still offer the original Hopper to those with bad credit. Just scroll down to the "How Do You Watch TV?" section under the packages.

dishequip.png

Now if it was me getting 1 or 2 TVs.... I would want the Hopper over the Hopper Duo. (I'll admit I've never had Dish I'm with D*.) However from my understanding based on their website one could record 125 HD hours with the Hopper Duo while the Hopper gets 500 HD hours. The Hopper Duo can record up to 2 channels at once while the Hopper can record up to 6 at once.... to me sounds like Hopper is the better deal IMO.

11. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Having had 622s, a 722, 2 Hoppers, and now a Hopper3, I have no idea why anyone would want 622/722 DVRs that can only support one HDTV, the rest of the output is SD.
    It takes a nanosecond to get used to and appreciate the Hopper interface and its capabilities. I'm sorry you VIP lovers, you are just wrong!

12. crodrules

crodrules Active Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    Thanks for the chart, techguy88! It is weird that they apparently will not let those with really bad credit get the Hopper Duo at all. Other than the smaller number of tuners (but likely faster response speed with the Hopper Duo) the main difference feature-wise would be that the Hopper Duo supports the Netflix app, while the original Hopper does not. So, it would seem that Dish does not want to risk having Netflix steal away their poorest customers. :D

It is not an advertised feature, but the Hopper Duo is actually capable of recording five channels at once, the same way that the original Hopper can record the advertised six channels. Tuner 2 on the Hopper Duo can record the four major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox) at the same time. It is just that the Hopper Duo does not support the automatic recording of Prime Time Anytime, so you would have to set separate timers for each show you want to record. (Hopper Duo also lacks the AutoHop feature.) When you are not recording any of the satellite-delivered local network feeds, then the Hopper Duo only supports two channels at a time, while the original Hopper would support three channels at a time.

Have I missed any other feature differences between the original Hopper and the Hopper Duo? I thought for sure that the original Hopper also supports Super Joey (while the Hopper Duo does not) but I do not see that option listed in the chart above. By the time it gets to where the Super Joey would be required, they switch their recommendation to Hopper 2, even for the customers with the worst credit.

techguy88 likes this.
  13. crodrules

crodrules Active Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    What specifically about the Hopper system do you not like?

14. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Is the Hopper 2 essentially a re-name for the Hopper with Sling? According to this page it says the Super Joey is compatible with "Hopper w/ Sling". Looking at this page of the Hopper family doesn't show a "Hopper 2" but shows a "Hopper w/Sling". (And here I thought AT&T made the Genie family names confusing by referring to the HR44 as Genie Gen 2 and the HS17 as Genie 2 o_O )

15. crodrules

crodrules Active Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    Yes, Hopper 2 is Hopper w/Sling. Everyone started unofficially referring to the old Hoppers by number (Hopper 1, Hopper 2) after they rolled out Hopper 3. The Joeys are also numbered Joey 1, Joey 2, Joey 3, so that makes sense.

I agree about the Genie names. The HS17 really should have been Genie 4. That way, AT&T could claim to be one model ahead of Dish, number-wise. :D Of course, then Dish could re-brand the Hopper Duo as Hopper 4. Hopper Duo is the fourth variety of Hopper, and Dish does not seem to be in any hurry to use the Hopper 4 name for any other new receiver models.

16. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    I hope everyone knows it's quite possible to have any Wally or Hopper/Joey combination you want within the technical limits of each model regardless of your credit status. You do have to buy your equipment outright though, and then set up a pay-as-you-go account. There are no plan deals, but that account does give you the option of stopping the service for a month or more as needed with no penalties and no equipment to return. Restarting is as simple as paying the next month's fee. It's kind of like Orby, but with a lot more equipment and plan options...

17. crodrules

crodrules Active Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    That was my point back in post number 8. Dish's sales reps probably won't let a potential new customer know about that option, though. They seem to be focused on pushing whatever leased receiver the customer might qualify for, and locking them into a two-year contract.

If auburn2 would be interested in opening a Dish account with a purchased ViP612, my offer in post number 3 still stands. It is not quite as good as a ViP622 or ViP722, but it is the only ViP DVR I have left. If auburn2 would be interested in turning a ViP211k into a DVR by adding an external hard drive, I also have a spare purchased ViP211k that I would be willing to send. These receivers are just taking up space in my closet not being used, so I would like to pass them along to a good home.

18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It shows the value placed on the original Hopper. DISH is willing to give them to people that they don't trust with a Hopper Duo!

crodrules likes this.
  19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I thought so too.
    4 > 3 ... Hopper Duo is not greater than Hopper 3.

The Hopper Duo is less than the Hopper 2000 (original Hopper). Three real tuners, six counting PTAT channels and it has PTAT. Perhaps "Hopper .5". It make me think of a Super Joey that doesn't require a Hopper.

At least DISH didn't call it the Hopper Ultimate or Hopper Unlimited and box themselves in from a fourth (better) iteration. With 16 tuners what can they add? A bigger hard drive? It is already marketed as "conflict free" recording.

20. auburn2

auburn2 AllStar

Sep 8, 2005
    I only have one HDTV (actually a home theater HD DLP projector with a 120 inch verticle screen). The rest of the TVs I need to hook it to are NTSC only. Not only do I have no use for more than one HD output, I actually need an NTSC output because the TVs I have (other than the projector) won't take a digital (SDTV or HDTV) input.