Does DTV periodically restart DVR's for reasons other than SW updates?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JerryMeeker, Apr 15, 2019.

1. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I have a network monitoring device that issues alerts when devices join or leave my home network. Earlier today, I received an alert when my HR54 went offline, and then another alert when it went back online a couple of minutes later. I checked the menu, and there is no newer software version, so that was not the reason for the restart.

Is the occasional restart completely normal, or should I be concerned that there is an issue with the HR54?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Could have been a very slight difference in the 120v power that caused the restart. I used to get those all the time and I put a UPS at that set up and plugged the DVR into it. Problem went away.

3. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Directv will restart the receiver if the guide data runs low or if it has not picked up a signal from the guide TP in the last 10 hours.

compnurd likes this.
  4. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Under what circumstances would the DVR not pick up a signal from the guide TP? Weather is clear, the DVR passes its self-check, and I see no other issues. And to Jimmie—the DVR is on a UPS.

jimmie57 likes this.
  5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My 44 started to reset itself several years ago. Kept happening for no reason. An NR came down and the resets stopped. But in my case I either had to pull the cord or do a RBR, the 44 was always unresponsive to anything else. Same thing is happening on my 24-500 lately. Works as it should for a couple weeks and shuts down for no reason and is unresponsive to remote commands or commands from the front panel. I'm waiting for an NR on that one. I've never had any reason to think these issues are caused by the HDDs. Don't think it's the power supply board either.

Rich

6. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Do you know for sure that it actually restarted, versus the wifi just going offline for a few minutes? There are other reasons that might happen other than a full restart.

7. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yeh a HR54 takes a good ten min to report. Not be offline for a couple of min

8. Soccernut

Soccernut AllStar

Jan 19, 2004
    I have a HR24-500 that I keep the front lights off so to know when it gets updates, the lights came on about a week ago but when I checked for updates there wasn't any and I did not have any power issues, that's the first time that happen in all the years I have the receiver.

9. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Hard-wired, not WiFi. And yes, I'm sure it restarted.

10. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I don't think you can do that with the front lights on an HR54.

11. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    W
    the power button on the front will be lit up after it is re started and remain on for 4 hours before going into power save mode. At that point when you turn your tv on it will tell you it turned off due to power save mode. All indications it restarted.

12. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    You did not mention the weather in your first post so I was just letting you know of another reason it can reboot on it’s own.

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    In my case the 44 was unresponsive to remote commands and commands from the front panel. Same thing with the 24-500 I'm presently dealing with. No way to get either of them running other than pulling the power cord or doing an RBR. They never restarted by themselves.

Rich

14. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Problems can manifest as "freezing" or as a "restart", depending on the type of problem. Similar to how your PC might sometimes lock up or sometimes spontaneously restart, depending on what exactly the issue was.