Does H21-200 Support Automatic Configuration with Linksys WGA600N?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - H2x Discussion (private)' started by litzdog911, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Does the H21-200 software provide the automatic WGA600N configuration like the HD DVRs now have? If so, I'll get one in anticipation of MRV so that I can easily network my H21.

DirecTV now sells them as a Wireless Networking Kit via their web site for $80, and I'm guessing that it's a Linksys/Cisco WGA600N.

2. 66stang351

66stang351 New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Doug asked anyone that had one to try it...don't know if that means it should work or if he is just wondering.

3. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I'm in the same boat. The H21-200 is in the upstairs bedroom with no wired network port available. If the 600N can work (to a G router), then that would be the way to go for me. I am anxious to hear, so I can get one ordered.

4. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    OK .. I just got back into town and have not had a chance to try it on 0x4500 .. But the previous push (yeah I should remember but can't :)) I had trouble making it work. I could use the adapter if set up on my HR20, but I could never get it to work from the H21-200.

All of the menus did work .. It automatically asked me the code, etc. but entering the code (many times, so I know at least one of my tries was typed in correctly) did not result in the devices actually connecting. So as a result, it did not work. I plan on trying this today at some point now that there is a new version downloaded.

5. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Bottom line .. It might work ..

6. 66stang351

66stang351 New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Worst case...set it up on your computer or on an HR...right?

7. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, I was able to get it to work fine after I configured it on my HR20-700 (computer would work, too). But I tried again just now and I could not get it to accept the key. It failed during the verification stage.

I'm interested in whether or not anyone has been able to get it to work.

8. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I tried it last week after the download and it didn't work that was with it already being setup to work on my HR20 & Xbox 360

9. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This is surprising .. perhaps a full reset was in order. I was able to put a pre-configured WGA600N into place with no problem. However I could not get it to work if the H21-200 was doing the configuration .. However, everything worked including typing in the security code .. The thing that didn't work was actually passing the security check so it never connected.

10. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    It would not auto-configure, with either WEP or security turned of on my access point (WAP54G).

I cancelled out of the setup, went to Network > Advanced settings and set things up manually. Network then worked. Then I went into Miscellaneous and turned MRV on, and it worked.

I'm able to view SD easily on both my DVRs (hardwired to a switch), and HD sort of works, but I think I need an N router or access point...G is right on the hairy edge for HD content.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.