1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does HD weigh heavy on your TV content choice?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by smiddy, Oct 22, 2007.

Percent of decision in choices of TV content

1. 100% :: Absolutely has to be totally HD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 75% :: Mostly HD is my choice, but a small amount of content has to be SD

35 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. 50% :: About half and half

104 vote(s)
    71.7%
  4. 25% :: Most of what I watch is SD but some content I choose is HD

6 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. 0% :: I can't be bothered with making an HD decision, doesn't matter at all.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    For me it is a huge importance to what I watch. I was hoping to get an understanding of those who participate here how lofty a choice HD is in you decision to watch a show. 75% for me, there are still some content in SD that have no choice but to watch, but for the most part it has to be HD for me.

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The stunning PQ of HD is so profoundly superior to everything else out there that,
    for me, about 90% of my viewing is in HD or not at all. I am the original HD snob,
    and damn proud of it!

I should add that 100% of my DVR recording is HD. Why would you record SD?

3. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    Because we have so much more HD now, not as much. It was when there wasn't as many channels in HD. I would watch something in the VOOM channels just because it was in HD.

Now, most of the stuff that I watch is already in HD, except for european soccer, some USA channel programming, and a couple of things in Sci-Fi. I still watch those in SD because there is no option, for E* customers.

I use to watch IMF but now with MHD having music videos all the time I prefer the later.

4. HD AV

HD AV Legend

Nov 22, 2006
    I watch mostly HD and, when possible, upconverted SD on my locals (OTA) and the other HD stations. SD, generally, looks better upconverted by the station......WHEN IT'S NOT STRETCH-O-VISION.

5. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    There are a few shows I still watch that are not in HD and I am mad every time I watch them but what else can I do.

But the majority of the things I do watch now are in HD so I voted for 75%.

6. chopperjc

chopperjc Godfather

Oct 2, 2006
    I have to suck it up and watch some college football on SD that is about it though.

7. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Icon

Aug 14, 2006
    Yep, me too... I'm an HD snob these days. Ever since getting my HDTV, I've found myself passing over SD content in favor of something in HD that I've already seen or actually wouldn't have watched in the past.

My kids watch shows that are SD and every now and then something I do want to see is only in SD so I can't say I watch 100% in HD. At least not yet. LOL!

Bob

8. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Content is still king. I love that more and more of what I watch is in HD, but I still won''t sit down and watch any show/program/movie in HD just because it's HD. I has to be something that I'm interested in seeing.

9. feschiver

feschiver Legend

Dec 19, 2006
    I watch about 90% hd but SCI-FI still does not SGA in HD and SMALLVILLE on WB:(

10. Xing

Xing Legend

Oct 1, 2007
    I watch mostly HD, always the first thing I go to in the guide is the HD filter. There are still some things I have to watch in SD because of the availability, ex. Smallville as well. :( Although once our CW goes HD and FX and few others released recently by D* start broadcasting in HD I will beable to enjoy full HD. mmm..just the thought makes me drool! :)

11. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Well, I voted "Mostly HD is my choice, but a small amount of content has to be SD" but it's not really correct. IMHO nothing has to be SD, unfortunately some things i like are only avaiable in SD so I will still watch them. I'd prefer if they were in HD though.

12. dbstv

dbstv AllStar

Jul 30, 2002
    If it is not in hd I will not watch what pisses me of dishnet does not have all my locals in HD PBS and CW as 2 of many that are missing my new zip 33037 is in Key Largo no chance here of a OTA to get locals when I lived in the city man they were many channels in HD and some had digital channels like nbc that showed weather 24/7 I miss these channels but I think satellite will never have enough space to carry all digital signals Hd or non hd that are broadcast locally in each state

13. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    I am an HDTV nut I even watch cooking shows in HD even thou I can not cook.

14. Da Rafsta

Da Rafsta AllStar

Oct 26, 2006
    HD for me or else it gets no love, with the NFL Network being the only exception. I know the NFL Network is HD now but only the "NFL Replay" games are being shown in HD. I can't wait till all programming is pure HD on the NFL N.

15. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    About the only things not in HD that we watch are our old movies from TCM, 4400 from USA and some football games (we hate watching football in SD but not all games are broadcast in HD).

We love HD!

Edit: Oh, yeah, South Park and Fox News in SD, too.

16. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I still watch a lot of shows that arn't in HD, Family Guy, The Simpsons, South Park, Twilight Zone repeats, Sabres hockey, Reaper, Glen Beck, various Fox News programming. I also catch Californication on Showtime on Demand in SD since I have so much going on on Monday nights. Content rules, Picture quality second.

17. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    75%... now that Mythbusters and BSG are in HD I think that "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm" are my only two SD shows. It's hard for me to commit to a new SD.

18. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "New SD?"

Is that an oxymoron or an anachronism? :shrug:

19. jazzyjez

jazzyjez Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    I went for the 75% option. Although I agree with Steve053 that content is king, I've found that HD has "opened my eyes" to some content that I previously wouldn't have watched at all. For example, football. Being a brit, I never followed US sports that much, but having caught some of this in HD, it really grabbed my attention. (Still haven't figured out all the rules though!)
    Also, given the choice of two otherwise equal programming choices but where one is HD, then obviously the HD one wins.

20. 25_Bullberry

25_Bullberry Cool Member

Apr 15, 2004
    I will probly get hacked on for this, but the fact is, my old CRT still works great. I just see no reason to spend money to replace a TV that still works. Course it doesn't help that I deal with people on a daily basis who are literally in tears if their children cannot watch television.