1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does HR24 allow separate room viewing without a receiver?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by rhenschel, May 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. rhenschel

rhenschel New Member

May 22, 2010
    I apologize in advance because this question is probably pretty simple, but I've looked around a little and didn't really find my answer.

I currently have Dish Network with the 722 HD-DVR. Using the two tuners in the 722, I have two televisions using it (the 2nd in another room connected via RG6 and a UHF remote). I have a third television controlled with a non-DVR HD receiver.

I'm probably going to switch to Direct TV but I'm wondering if I can do the same thing with the HR24/H24 and MRV? I get the impression that MRV allows for a receiver (i.e. H24) to access the recordings made on the HR24. That would be a bonus for me. But does the HR24 allow another television to be controlled using the built-in secondary tuner in another room?

I'm basically trying to save the expense of getting a another receiver. Right now, Direct TV is basically giving a free HD DVR and a free HD receiver for new customers, but if I need a another receiver, I believe that will cost me some money (unless I go with a standard SD receiver).

So can I control two different televisions with the HR24?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    No, DirecTV does not make dual output DVRs or receivers. That is unique to Dish Network.

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    The DirecTv DVRs will output to multiple TVs, however, they do not allow you to tune those TVs to different channels, all will display the same channel. To do what you want, you would need two DVRs and one receiver.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    You can connect the DVR to another display via a run of HDMI (or other) though. All the outputs are active.

5. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    on the bright side a second reciever is only $5/mo and won't tie up tuners in your DVR..

6. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    The short answer is no, the HR24 can not broadcast to another tv like the 722 BUT all the outputs are live on the back of all receivers so you could string a component bought on monoprice to that other tv. Then just use the remotes in RF (uhf) mode. The HR24 to H24 will talk to each other through MRV.

Personally, I would pull the trigger on the extra receiver and get MRV to that one to, or go with what I said above and string a line to the other tv

7. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I have a HR21 in my office on a 26" SDTV and run a 15' HDMI cable to a 24" 720P set in the bedroom. I got an extra remote and set it up for RF. It works great.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    DO you need to be able to watch different channels on all three tvs at the same time?

If not, then as other have mentioned, you can just run a second set of outputs to one of your tv's....

9. rhenschel

rhenschel New Member

May 22, 2010
    Thanks guys, that helps a lot!

I guess I have a couple options. If I want to get by without the extra receiver (or DVR), I'd probably have to change things around. Currently the television in the kitchen is sharing the 722 with the theater room, so there are times when my wife wants to watch something different than what's in the theater room. But I could probably share the HR24 output between the theater room and bedroom since we are usually in one or the other.

I'd need to research how to distribute the HR24's output. Look's like it displays component and HDMI....but my whole-house wiring has Cat 5e and RG-6 going to every room, and it wouldn't be practical to run a separate wire. Is there any easy way to convert either of those to go over RG-6 or Cat 5e?

Or to keep things simple, I guess I should just get another receiver. I was originally thinking get a free SD receiver, but from what I can tell, none of those support MRV. So I might have to spring the $99 for the HD receiver. Or maybe better yet, I found in another post that the HR24 is available on overstock.com for $155. Maybe that's the best idea...

Also, any tips on maximizing my chances of getting HR24/H24 when I sign up as a new customer? Should I just wait a little longer? I think the current promotion they have in place ends 7/15.

Rich

10. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Tivo...Besides speed are there any other advantages Tivo has over the HR series?

11. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    ?????????????????????

12. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Back to the topic. The HR24 does put out it's signal through the HDMI and Component outputs at the same time, so with the RF remote that it comes with, you can change channels (same on both outputs) from a different room (within RF range) at the same time.

I do this exact setup in our motorhome, and the remote works perfectly about 30 feet away from the receiver.

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You may be one of the few to have MRV in a motorhome. :eek2: :lol:

14. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    There are ways to use your existing wiring, but it would be a lot more expensive than the HR24 for $155. That's your best bet

15. kymikes

kymikes Icon

Jan 15, 2008
    Kentucky
    This is admittedly second hand information but several acquaintances have gotten an additional HD receiver for free as a part of a 'conversion' from Dish or cable in my area (not an extra DVR). You might want to negotiate a bit harder as a 'key selling point' of making the conversion. FYI. Don't know the probability of getting all 24's however (relatively small data sample) but many new install's with SWiM/DECA seem to be getting them (YMMV).

16. rhenschel

rhenschel New Member

May 22, 2010
    Thanks again guys for all your help.

I'm probably going to go ahead with two HR24's and one H24....I'll either get the 2nd HR24 from DirectTV or someplace like overstock.com.

I'll probably wait a month or two. Looks like I have 5 months left on my Dish contract and they will charge me $10 a month for each remaining month. I tried to get DirectTV to help me with that cancellation fee, but they said they couldn't.

Since it looks like the current promotions go until 7/15, I'll sit tight for a bit.

Thanks again.

Rich

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Use BBCs on non SWiM systems and connect ethernet to disable the DECA.
    "Works".

18. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    BBCs are not used in a SWiM/DECA system.

The HR24 does not require SWiM/DECA to do MRV any more than any other H series device, but if you order Whole Home viewing through DIRECTV, they will convert your system to SWiM.

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Kind of"
    You need the BBCs to get the HD channels [not anything to do with DECA]
    You need to connect ethernet to disable the internal DECA.

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    and again we have a nonsense posting derailing the question being asked. :nono: