Does my rate increase go to paying Christina Aguilera for that new D* tv commercial?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dubber deux, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Jan 2, 2010 #1 of 53
    dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    It's really annoying to find that D* is raising our rates only to see them spending plenty on hiring pop stars to make commercials for them....

Considering the situation many of their subscribers are in economically it really seems like they are rubbing our nose in it with this nonsense!!!!!:nono:

2. Jan 2, 2010 #2 of 53
    CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    No

3. Jan 2, 2010 #3 of 53
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Yes it does next they're going to hire the whole Blue Man Group and charge it monthly as a fee to you.

4. Jan 2, 2010 #4 of 53
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    At least they aren't spending it on getting the documentary channel.

5. Jan 2, 2010 #5 of 53
    dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    Yeah I know...what a shame.... they'll probably stuff Rupert Murdochs pockets with some of it though....

6. Jan 2, 2010 #6 of 53
    Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    +1 Indeed, that would really set me off.

7. Jan 2, 2010 #7 of 53
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Everything is budgeted out. Increases usually mostly go towards new services and signing contracts with networks from what I have seen.

Advertising budgets are preset.

8. Jan 2, 2010 #8 of 53
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Yeah...stupid capitalism! How dare people make money!

:rolleyes:

9. Jan 2, 2010 #9 of 53
    vollmey

vollmey Godfather

Mar 23, 2007
    These whine and moans about the rate increase is comical. If you don't like it, you don't have to pay for Direct TV. I know this is new concept for many, but we have a free market system here, you don't have to pay for TV, cell phones, electricity ( actually there are some rules on electricity ) gasoline, airline tickets, NFL tickets, NBA tickets, MLB tickets, new cars, new TV's, new shoes, new software, etc.... And business owners and CEO's can raise rates, lower rates at there freewill in order to do what? Make profit.

I can go political on why we have turned this way, but I leave it at that.

Stop already, if you don't like what Direct TV is doing, turn it off. You have the choice.

10. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    The Blue Man Group aren't actually that expensive. They've been working at our local Fox affiliate (along with Carrot Top, actually)...

;)

11. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Chrissy hasnt really had a big hit in awhile so maybe they got her on the cheap.

Now if it was Lady Gaga or Taylor Swift that'd be another story.

12. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    1) Some of us are locked into a commitment.
    2) I happen to like the hardware and content DirecTV provides. That doesn't mean it doesn't hurt my bank account when I pay the bill.
    DirecTV is obviously comfortable with raising our rates. Be it to balance out the launch of D12, to pad their own wallets, to pad the wallets of the content providers, doesn't matter. So, Those of us who feel slightly involved in the process (of making DirecTV awesome, that is), and those of us who like learning about DirecTV via this site, have the right to complain, until an Administrator or Moderator take away that right.

We've been told to keep our compliants to one official thread, just as the Tivo enthusiasts have been told to keep their comments to their official thread.

So quit whining about whiners, ehh?

13. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    (I edited the quote)

If Taylor Swift "endorsed" DirecTV, I wonder how many of her 16-24 year old male following would jump aboard...

My college buddies listen to her songs and then tell me they'd never make her feel that way... I have to remind them that every other college guy that listens to her thinks that. Haha!

14. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Could always start a thread requesting someone from marketing contact you.

I would like to state for the record if, I wasn't married, and had to have my nose rubbed in something. That wouldn't be that bad.

15. vollmey

vollmey Godfather

Mar 23, 2007

Ok, complain. But, will it get you a long way on DBStalk except making you feel a bit better. I moaned a bit about the Versus's thing, I still don;t have Versus's. But to say that Direct TV should not raise rates because of the economical times makes no sense ( not that you said that CJTE )

Until we all turn off Direct TV, or something else comes along, prices will not come down. Believe me, I hear about my bill every month when the $200 + bill comes due. But I keep choosing to pay for it, and I'm locked in to.

16. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Maybe they sold the blimp and the Nascar car to pay Ms. Popstar. I know they didnt sell the Skycams at most of the college games Ive been watching, they still had D* logos all over em. ;)

17. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009

I don't watch sports all that much on TV ( I do play some like Tennis though)
    and I did notice that slew of D* stickers all over the aerial cams they were using at some of the bowl games....my first reaction was to LOL.

How about the latest D* tv spots, that feature , "dumb typical sports couch potato guy" being interviewed by a slightly snobby intellectual at a table in front of an audience...if that isn't D* laughing AT their primary customer I don't know what it is supposed to be.

18. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    well write a letter to the advertising dept and wait for the response. :)

19. Shaqdan

Shaqdan Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    Early leader for worst post of the year.

20. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009

Why would that be?

It's just a matter of having common sense...

1) D* drops VS because they don't want to pay C* extra dollars
    2) D* increases subs monthy cost by an average of 3-5$/mo
    3) Economy is terrible and Christina doesn't need that extra cash and D* should be using that money to stablize or reduce subscription costs because the customer is #1, not D*

.:kickbutt: