Does switching to slim or mrv require ALL receivers to be upgraded?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bigriff, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Nov 5, 2010 #1 of 18
    Bigriff

Bigriff Cool Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Guys, long time d* guy, I have and old hr10 250 looking to replace. I have an old Sony directivo and old RCA Directivo, an hr 21-700, and some receivers. Total of 8 feeds coming off my multiswitch. I was told that to replace my hr10-250, I'd need to put a slim multiswitch in (I want wmrv) and then I'd have replace ALL of my receivers since they won't work with slim (except hr 21 w deca adapters). That's a complicated proposition as i have two full stereo racks, plus several other remote locations throughout the house.

On the one hand, it may make me upgrade to get hidef in rooms I don't now, but still that's almost a wholesale change out. I still have a boat load of programming on my upgraded tivos.

Just trying to understand what I am getting into. Anyone have a clear design or "schematic" of a recommended layout for multiple room video with my type of gear?

2. Nov 5, 2010 #2 of 18
    texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    To use the SWM system, you need SWM-compatible receivers which means H2x HD receivers, HR2x HD DVRs, D12 SD receivers or R16 SD DVRs. The discontinued R22 DVR is also compatible. None of the others (including all the TiVos) will work on SWM.
    The only boxes that are WHDVR compatible are the H2x, HR2x and also the R22. You can have an SWM system where some of the boxes are on WHDVR, and the other boxes are just on the SWM and can't share the DVR recordings.

3. Nov 5, 2010 #3 of 18
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is possible to set up a system with both legacy and SWiM boxes using a legacy Slimline and multiple standalone switches. The other alternative would be two dishes.

In either case, MRV would not be available to the legacy receivers.

4. Nov 5, 2010 #4 of 18
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    If the receiver on the 2nd dish is SWiM capable, but not running in SWiM mode, it will work fine. I don't know if legacy receivers were networkable...it's been a long time since I had one. In my case, the 2nd dish has an HR20-100 that is not on a SWiM setup, and it works just fine for MRV with a wireless adapter to the router.

A 2nd dish and sat box will integrate perfectly for MRV with either a hardwired ethernet connection to the router, or even (less desirable) a wireless connection from the non-SWiM dish sat box to the router.

I'm doing exactly this and it works just fine. A 2 dish solution allows fully integrated MRV between a SWiM and non-SWim setup, as long as the 2nd receiver is network/MRV capable.

5. Nov 5, 2010 #5 of 18
    Bigriff

Bigriff Cool Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Thanks guys.

I really just want to share whole house videos with my replacement DVR (hopefully HR 24) and the other HR21 (and any new HD receivers I might add) while keeping the kitchen receiver and sony tivo as is. The kitchen is one of those samsung Sl10d10 with the 10" flip down display, don't want to change to an external monitor, yet.

So, can I do a new SLiM multiswitch and take one of the feeds from that and feed a traditional multiswitch? I have one now, plus an extra one from previous installs at my old house. Will this work?

Thx.

6. Nov 5, 2010 #6 of 18
    Bigriff

Bigriff Cool Member

Nov 5, 2010
    I do have CAT-5 Ethernet between the two locations I want to share MRV. I figured I just get the appropriate receivers and use that, but.... how does that work?
    thx.

7. Nov 5, 2010 #7 of 18
    doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    As long as you know that MRV with your older equipment is not possible, everything else you seem to want is possible. It's just that D* is not good with custom installs, too many people and procedures in the chain can't be coordinated consistently. To avoid head-banging pain AND get what you want you can DIY, replace your current WB68 multiswitch with a SWM16, plug your legacy receivers into the 4 available legacy ports (heh, or to get confusing, plug your WB68 into the 4 legacy ports to get 8), and the HR21 and new other HR2* into a splitter that comes out of the SWM16.

Then to get MRV on the two HR2x's, buy the requisite DECA dongles plus optional Internet connection kit (or Cinema Connection Kit same thing) and call and ask for unsupported MRV to be activated.

If that seems too much and you want them to do it, you'll have to go with their stuff, getting rid of your old stuff. But the good news there is you'll probably get quite a deal on the upgrade.

8. Nov 5, 2010 #8 of 18
    doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Just plug the ethernet into the Ethernet 1 port in the back of both and they are on the network. Then call and ask for unsupported MRV

btw you'll see I have some legacy equipment too with the ability to run more , but I did this all myself with the help of the great folks here

9. Nov 5, 2010 #9 of 18
    Bigriff

Bigriff Cool Member

Nov 5, 2010
    So, if I use Ethernet, does that mean I don't need the SLiM switch?

What you suggested in your other post is what I was thinking, they did not tell me that the SLIM has "legacy" ports. :)

In your other post, you said, maybe I take the legacy port and feed my current multi switch. THAT makes sense to me, I can leave the other dvr's/recvrs well enough alone.

If I don't need a SLIM, they can just ship me a receiver. I can do the rest. Also, what do I need for MRV over ethernet? just a cat 5 cable? or Deca adapters?

thx.

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The simpler solution would be to split the LNB feed between the existing WB68 and a SWM-8 using carefully chosen splitters. None of the current legacy equipment would need to be sacrificed. The cost of my proposed method would be $90-100 cheaper the SWM16 at market prices.

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DECA adapters require SWiM technology. Conventional Ethernet doesn't.

Please recognize that SLIM doesn't mean anything in the context of DIRECTV. Single Wire Multiswitch is the new technology and it is represented by either FTM, SWM or SWiM.

12. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    You know, the funny thing is, you don't need to replace or split anything if you just want to replace your hr10 with a HR2x and still get your MRV. Just use the ethernet and call and ask for unsupported MRV. Assuming the network is already hooked up to the internet you're good to go there too.

13. Bigriff

Bigriff Cool Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Thanks for clarification on acronyms. I figured it meant single wire/line multiswitch. I work in a tech industry, and acronyms abound! many for much different things.

so, is it true that if you do go full SWiM, the multi room video is carried over RG-6 coax lines from one recevier to the next?

And, if Ethernet, then of course it's your trusty little ethernet switch/linksys router that does the transport?

thx.

14. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Yes.

15. donkc1

donkc1 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Yes, that's exactly it I have a slimline 3 dish, HR24, and two HR23's networked via ethernet and MRV, Mediashare and internet VOD work perfectly on all of them.

16. Bigriff

Bigriff Cool Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Thanks for all your guys help.

So, what's the best method to get what I need from d*?

I ask them to come and install a SWIM and HR2x (hopefully 24, cross my fingers), tell them I want unsupported MRV via Ethernet, and when the install guy comes, tell him to feed my current multi switch with the legacy ports of the new SWIM?

since I have to own this, I need to know it implicitly how to implement and support! ;)

17. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    couple of problems here. First, is if you get any SWM, it's gonna be a SWM8 which has only 3 legacy out ports which will not work with a 6x8 MS. And if they do that they're going to probably give you DECA dongles (which is fine, it's just as good as and probably better than the regular ethernet). If you're going to pay the 200 bucks plus you might as well get what they give you there. So let them replace one or two of your receivers with a SWM compatible model and save the legacy ports for the old receivers (if you really just have to keep them active). It'll likely be no charge on top of the switch over.

And if they going to charge you 200 dollars for an HDDVR you're better off ordering an HR24 from solidsignal.com or something so you'll get one for sure. I've gotten a couple of "refurbs" (refurbed in what way I have no idea) but I've only paid 100 for them (HR21's btw)

But before you get into talking about custom installs, I'd just call and ask what kind of deal you can get on upgrading to WHole House DVR and upgrading your HR10. If they say they'll replace everything for "free" with modern SwM capable equipment, except for the WHDVR install cost, and replacing the HR10 with an HR2x , I'd just take it and worry about what to do with the old stuff after the install ( they will NOT be asking for the old stuff back )

18. Bigriff

Bigriff Cool Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Great post thanks for the detail. I was thinking it might be best to just tell them what you suggested.