1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Taking Vacation Days Make You Feel Guilty?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, May 16, 2010.

Tags:

Does Taking Vacation Days Make You Feel Guilty?

1. I don't feel too guilty taking some of my vacations days, but taking them all--or taking them all at

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Absolutely. I feel a twinge of guilt whenever I take time off work.

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. No way. Vacation days are there for a reason, and I take full advantage of them to recharge.

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. I'm freelance. What is this thing called a "vacation"?

46 vote(s)
    70.8%
  5. Other

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes, I stole the article Does Taking Vacation Days Make You Feel Guilty? and the followup article Over 60 Percent of Lifehacker Readers Feel Guilty About Taking Vacation Days from LifeHacker. I thought it was interesting enough to carry over here and run the poll.

For me, I need to work off the guilt trip of taking a few days off. This was back when I worked in a machine shop working for my father. Man, he would give me a guilt trip about just taking a three day weekend or even a day off to prep for a final. On a few occasions, I had a three day weekend out of town nicely yanked because of a customer breakdown. (Of course, for one of these customer breakdowns where I had a major exam, I issued the ultimatum: You have me work this weekend, I get Tuesday off WITH PAY as a regular workday. He had to say yes.)

A few years later, I worked tech support for a small ISP. How small? You are staring at the entire weekend staff of one. One year before I left, I took a three week vacation. This was filed SEVEN months before I took it. Even then, it crimped the other staff.

I love my current job. They are generous with the benefits and the vacation time. However, a few quarters ago, to reduce the vacation liability, they mandated a few days off during one quarter. Since I work in a call center, this was a bit of a hit. I ended up, on short notice, filling in on overnight and weekend shifts and getting a bucketful of comp time. This turned into a nice twenty days off that ran from mid-December until the first week of January. Four of those days were the mandated Christmas-New Year shut down where we had to take four vacation days. Another three were company holidays. The other 13 were comp days. Of course, some of these were taken up by college finals, but it also allowed me to spend time with my mother.

In fact, this upcoming week is a vacation week. Two of those days is because of a college project and final exam at the beginning of the week. Another is because I'm going out of town at the end of the week. And, whats the point of coming in for the other two, especially since I have the time banked up.

Will I feel guilty? Yeah, slightly. I have great bosses, and they understand. I'm there for them, and do NOT play the "It's a nice day, so I'm calling in sick." If anything, they complain that I ask for time off TOO far in advance.

2. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Nope! I get four weeks a year. I use them all. Family comes first.

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Vacation? Whats that? Im lucky to get a holiday off.

4. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Nope i don't really care too much for vacation but when i do take it, the only concern is me,myself and i. oh yeah the wife and kid too i think :D

5. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Vacations can make people feel vulnerable, as the employer may find out that things run well without them.

6. cadet502

cadet502 FHNSAB DBSTalk Club

Jun 17, 2005
    Right now I get 80 hours of vacation a year. Since I will certainly work over 80 hours without pay over the course of the year, there is no reason to feel guilty aobut taking vacation.

7. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Part of my contract is to get vacation, I live up to my contract every year...

8. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Vacation....I think of heard of those somewhere....

I actually "work" my personal days off and vacation days reasonably well each year, creating a net of almost 5 weeks off. Some of that comes from coordinating days off around holidays (only need to use 4 then!).

In any case - its often a challenge to plan them - but I've developed the discipline to tell myself its "my time" - no work. On occasion...that gets to be a challenge carrying a Blackberry, but I've done pretty well with all that.

9. Game Fan

Game Fan Baseball Is Life

Sep 8, 2007
    Vacation = Sanity. As many hours as I put in, as a salaried employee, I have no guilt feelings at all.

10. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Ditto!

However, I try not to take my vacation all at one time and typically between test cycles. When at all possible, I personally try and take it around the holidays (such as Thanksgiving or July 4th) or at the end of the year in order to get the most bang for my buck.

Mrs. Fluffybear can bank up 240 hours of her vacation time and typically likes to keep 160 hours or so in reserve and use the remainder. This year, she is already at the 240 maximum and risks losing 80 some hours to she has been taking a mental health day each week for the last month in order to work on her garden.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Vacation? I'm retired. I don't get no stinkin vacation. I get no weekends off, no holidays, no nuttin. Being retired is a full-time job. 24/7/365. Lemme tell yuh, old age ain't for wimps! :new_cussi

12. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    being paid commission, a day off can be a big hit to the paycheck.. especialy now, I can't afford a day off..

13. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    I used to work in corporate environment.
    In 2003 the company faltered and made deep cuts.
    By 2005, I was still out of work and had worried myself into a very emotional and physical wreck of a human being.

I had coronary problems and had to have 4x bypass at the age of 44. It was my wakeup call that nobody was looking out for my best interests other than me, and that I was off the job.

After a brief recovery and some lifestyle changes, I decided to start my own business with what little I had left.

Looking back at the years I spent worrying about the company instead of myself, the vacations lost, the weekends lost, the days spent doing mindless work for them, it all seems so ridiculous to me now.

Meetings to determine what we'll talk about in the next meeting. Discussions about whether the employees would go along with another tiny push that nibbles away at their human dignity and self-esteem.

Memos about cutting back on office supply usage, where to park, how to dress, and so on.....

These days, I work when my deeply appreciative customers want me to work. Sometimes that does mean working on a weekend or working half the night.
    The difference is that I enjoy what I am doing and that they appreciate my efforts and gladly pay me 3 times what I used to have to drive miles and miles and work hours and hours for.

When my schedule loosens up a little, I take off a morning or an afternoon during the week. I routinely get one or two days off during the week.

I have purposely held my clients list at a limited level, so that I never get bogged down to the point that I can't see daylight. If I lose a client, I find another one to take their place.

I work in quality, not quantity. I do that for them and for myself.

It seems to work very well for me, and I can't imagine going back to corporate environment again. To me, it would be like sending me to a Gulag.

14. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I don't feel guilty at all, but then again it's been over 8 years since I've gone a single day without checking work Email or being available via cell phone (I was on a cruise 8 years ago).

Even when on vacation, I check Email each day and respond to calls via my cell.

15. donbean

donbean AllStar

Mar 13, 2010
    Im self employed.. Dont really get many vacations.. Your either too busy or work is slow and no dough...

16. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    In 1959, my father agreed to work a salaried job as a manager of a small grocery store. He was told that he would get eight psid holidays. What he was not told when he was hired was that he would have to work eight Saturdays each year to "pay" for those eight paid holidays.

17. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    My last day off: Dec 25, 2009.

Next projected day off: Nov 29, 2010 (but I might have to work)

18. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    It seems like I always took vacation around everybody else's schedule. As a supervisor I always let my employees and my bosses get there requested time off while I covered for them. Then budgets got cut and several of us got forced out. When we left they would only pay us for 40 days of vacation so many folks forfeited a lot of vacation days.

My suggestion is if you are entitled to it, take it and don't let it accumulate. You never know what the situation may be down the road.

19. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    NO...I don't feel guilty taking all that I deserve. I doubt that anyone on their death bed said " I wish I had spent more time at work".

20. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    I'm self-employed now. So vacation day = No pay... So I have to decide if it's worth it. :)