1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does This Mean We Are Going to Lose Our DVRs?

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by Tony Trent, Apr 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Trent

Tony Trent Mentor

Nov 28, 2002
  2. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    The WORST thing that will happen is that prices may be higher in the future for DVR products and/or services. NO ONE is going to lose their DVRs.

Also, you should realize that TiVo has not won anything YET. There will be appeals and this case could go all the way to the U.S. supreme court.

3. bavaria72

bavaria72 I am one too! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    There are going to be years of appeals before this is all said and done. The DVR is too integral part of E*'s strategy. Worse case scenario E* settles with Tivo out of court. If they gave up on the DVR they would loose millions of subs. Not going to happen.

4. bobinnv

bobinnv Cool Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Also, the damages awarded to Tivo are for existing DISH DVRs - so even if Tivo should get an injunction against Echostar, it would be for new DVRs, not existing ones.

5. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    TiVo is a small company. Probably would cost less to just buy them than to pay their settlement amount. E* could just buy them and then liquidate their assets. Problem solved for E*.

6. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Godfather

Sep 4, 2005
    I wonder if there might be some anti-trust issues if Dish tried to buy Tivo though... I would think not, but who knows.

7. jumpyg2

jumpyg2 Cool Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Tivo isn't looking for money. They are trying to put Echostar out of the DVR business. Tivo wasn't profitable before they had competition, much less now. Their best bet is to sue the competition out of the business of DVRs.

8. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Not true, they want licensing deals with all the vendors. They are more than willing to license the technology.

9. fchall

fchall AllStar

Jan 26, 2006
    I'm still confused about what technology this is about. I've been recording stuff from many sources long before Tivo or Dish or Direct were a gleam in daddy's eye.

10. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    Tivo's service is overpriced...like $13 a month for regular Tivo units. The $4.99 or $5.99 price on Directv units is more reasonable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.