1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this scenario work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by awalt, May 31, 2013.

1. awalt

awalt Legend

Jul 30, 2007
    HI all,

After reading everything, I want to make sure I can still get DTV to install for me if I purchase my own HR44 - I do not have SWM and on another friend you all advised that a DTV install would be best. I think I want to do this:

1. Purchase my own HR44 (I realize I may not get any discount/credit from DTV)
    2. Call DTV and schedule them to come out and install SWM, HR44, remove one HR20-700, and get other existing HR20-700 working with SWM.

I would then have a setup of one HR44, and one HR20-700 (which has a 1 TB external disk by the way).

Will DirecTV support coming out to install for me, if I buy my own HR44?

I realize I will have a 2 year commitment to my account for activation. I think there might be an upgrade fee - $99? Are there any other charges, they won't charge for the install will they?

Thanks for your help!

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    They may charge for the installation or you may get it free with some additional credits for buying the 44.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    No upgrade fee, just installation. This shouldn't be an issue. They can install Whole Home, which needs SWM as well.

4. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Just realize that you are leasing the HR44, not purchasing it, but what you want to do should be fine. They will probably charge you for the install but it's not that much.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Call and ask, that is the only way you will find out. There may be charges and there may not be.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    "Supported" WHDS (DECA adapter for the HR20 and a CCK) is where the greatest cost is likely to be and it isn't optional. It is also why there will likely be an associated 24 month commitment.