1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Tivo unit need replacement?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by IjustWannaPlay, Jul 27, 2010.

1. IjustWannaPlay

IjustWannaPlay Mentor

Aug 11, 2007
    The installer is here to install MRV and he said that DTV did not provide a replacement for my SD Tivo unit. Is there any issue with connecting to the legacy ports on the SWM switch?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't think there's a problem, I think that's what they are there for.

3. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    no issue with using the legacy ports, aside that you can't do MRV with the Tivo...

4. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    I don't yet have MRV - getting installed tomorrow - but I think they should have ordered a replacement for the TiVo since it is not MRV capable. I still had an HR10 on my account and the CSR noticed and ordered a replacement for the install without me asking.

If you want the TiVo replaced, I'd suggest calling about it.

5. IjustWannaPlay

IjustWannaPlay Mentor

Aug 11, 2007
    to be clear, MRV would not work with an DTV SD DVR - correct? All my other DVR's are HR2x units.

6. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    The only SD DVR that works with MRV is the R22, and they don't make those anymore.

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Your "replacement" may only be a SD DVR that is compatible with SWiM [R-16] and not be MRV capable.

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Legacy receivers, such as a TiVo DVR, are to be replaced with a like, SWM-compatible receiver, but NOT with an MRV-compatible (read: HD) receiver. So, a TiVo would be replaced with an R16 in most cases. The R16 is SWM-compatible, but not HD and therefore not MRV compatible. You have to pay extra to upgrade receivers to HD; that isn't included in the MRV upgrade.

9. IjustWannaPlay

IjustWannaPlay Mentor

Aug 11, 2007
    so, I am confused. apparently the Tivo does not work on the legacy ports on the SWM switch since it is not getting any sat signal.

Does that surprise anyone?

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The TiVo should work just fine on the legacy ports of a SWM8 or SWM16 switch. But, is that what you actually have? Installers almost never install a SWM8, but rather replace your LNB with a SWM LNB (which has no legacy ports or legacy support) if your tuner count is 8 or less.

[​IMG]
    SWM8

[​IMG]
    SWM16

11. IjustWannaPlay

IjustWannaPlay Mentor

Aug 11, 2007
    Yes, it is a SWM16

12. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I still have a TiVo (SAT-T60) (and yes, believe it or not). My daughter uses it.

I have two cables connected to two of the 4 legacy connections and it works fine. My monitoring system is also connected to a legacy port. Everything else in my house is SWiM compatible. At one point recently I had 16 SWiM channels and 4 legacy connections running off of my single SWiM-16. I have scaled back a little since then, though.

13. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I've also got my TiVo running off the legacy ports on my SWM-8 as well.

Works great, both tuners available... just no MRV to the TiVo though.

Not sure why your's shouldn't work. :confused:

14. IjustWannaPlay

IjustWannaPlay Mentor

Aug 11, 2007
    Not sure why it would not work, but it got only a very slight sat signal on one tuner.

It all worked out well though. I called DTV and they are providing a "free" HD DVR upgrade with only a $50 install fee.

byw...I am loving this MRV over DECA. works very well and is well worth the $3 per month.

15. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Since the HR10 should still be considered an HD DVR, I'd expect it to be replaced with an MRV capable HD DVR - hoping for an HR24 since they seem to be using them for MRV installs.

Just double checked the pending order and it lists

Whole-Home DVR Service 1
    DIRECTV HD-DVR - Swapped Free 1 Free
    Professional Installation $49.00 1 $49.00
    DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR Upgrade w/Internet Connection Kit Free 1 Free

so it would seem they plan on "swapping" the HR10 for an HR2x.

I did have to pay the full list price of $150 + tax for the MRV install, but I didn't argue too hard since that's still a pretty good deal considering the DVR swap.

16. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I hope this is where you do get a "freebie" HD DVR.
    While the HR10 "was an HD" DVR, with the MPEG-2 HD gone, there is nothing for it that is HD anymore, so these are seen now [on the system] as SD non SWiM DVRs, much like the R15. This means normally "free swap" is for SWiM compatibility and not networking [since the HR10 doesn't have networking], which means swapping to the R16 for SWiM, but still no DECA/MRV. The only HD non networked receiver that is part of the free swaps are the H20s, since they are MPEG-4 receivers and are simply missing the network functions.
    "Normally" the HR10-250 is to be swapped under a separate deal independent of the Whole Home DVR and Connected Home [DECA] upgrade.

17. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007

It would seem I got lucky since I ended up with a new HR24-500 to replace the HR10.

Although it has taken considerable time on the phone and a little aggravation, in the end I am satisfied with how DirecTV has handled all the issues and requests I've thrown at them lately. With a couple of notable exceptions, the CSRs I've spoken with have been very courteous and reasonably knowledgeable. I think I've been treated fairly - perhaps a little better than fairly - so I'm going to try to stop pestering DTV and asking for free stuff for the next year or so :)

18. scb2k

scb2k AllStar

Sep 22, 2007
    I got one with my order about 2 months back..

19. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Nonetheless they don't make them anymore. They simply had one in the warehouse.

20. IjustWannaPlay

IjustWannaPlay Mentor

Aug 11, 2007
    in summary.....DTV provided a HD DVR for just the $50 install fee to replace the SDTivo. The service rep came and had an HR22 or something, and I made a comment about wishing it would be an HR24. He said he had one in the truck and made the swap. Very nice unit and this MRV is super!