Does Wi-Fi MultiMedia (WMM) Really Do Anything?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Wireless Networking (private)' started by Huskie_2009, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huskie_2009

Huskie_2009 Icon

Jan 12, 2009
    Found an interesting article about WMM that I wanted to share since the WET610N supports this.

Does Wi-Fi MultiMedia (WMM) Really Do Anything? - Part 1
    Does Wi-Fi MultiMedia (WMM) Really Do Anything? - Part 2
    Does Wi-Fi MultiMedia (WMM) Really Do Anything? - Part 3

"But my experiments show that WMM provides no benefit for improving video (or audio) streaming robustness by shifting available bandwidth from low-priority data traffic to higher-priority media streams. The only way that this will change is if media servers—both standalone and NAS-embedded—implement WMM-compliant priority tagging"

Thoughts?
    Will we be seeing some receiver software changes if this isn't being done now?

There is an area in the browser setup method that is used to control WMM with many parameters. What we do not know yet is if the receiver will be making any changes to these vaalues and if so, will it make a difference based on what the the article describes.

2. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Thanks man, I'll have to digest this later this evening, more meetings, ARGH!

3. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    I'm sticking to my original opinion on this...

1) Obviously the software would need to be compliant - not that big of a deal.
    2) It WON'T MATTER even if the software is compliant.

There is only 1 scenario where this matters - and that is if you have multiple devices, all using the WET610N, and 1 or more of those devices is using a "low-priority" traffic WHILE you are attempting to use the Hx2x for MRV. Otherwise, it serves no purpose, there is nothing to prioritize, and your performance would be the same regardless of WMM...

QoS is WAY WAY WAY oversold for home use. For businesses, where you want to prioritize voice or video over a WAN over HTTP or Email traffic - FINE, but home? There is just not enough simultaneous use of a wireless bridge to ever see value from something like this.

Ok... off my soap-box... :D

Chris

4. Huskie_2009

Huskie_2009 Icon

Jan 12, 2009
    Thanks for the explanation Chris.

Supposedly you can hook this WET up to a hub/switch/etc to allow multiple devices to share it but that's not how DirecTv is 'selling' this.

But for those individuals that would know this and hook up multiple devices to it, they would see a drop in performance if DirecTv does not tag their packets as video ... No?

I'd have to assume 'Yes'.

5. JimMariner

JimMariner Just Another Ol'Salt

Sep 19, 2007
    I actually had my WGA600N hooked up like this. I had it hooked to a Network Switch and It was setup to run 2 computers and a network server. But when I heard the HR2*s supported this as a wireless option, I moved it there. Prior to that, I was using a Linksys "G" Router with DD-WRT firmware on it, set to act as a Bridge for the HR22 in my Master BR. The wireless N worked so much better. And the studdering I Had on the G network disappeared on the N network. The computers that we connected to that system, never showed any slowdowns you would have expected being set up this way.

I would have no hesitation to hook 2 or more DVRs up this way so they would have internet access. And MRV access too. But in my case, only one DVR at a time would be streaming content to another. Not to multiple destinations.

6. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Unfortunately my unit is sitting, blinking its little light at me, waiting for an updated CE since I was out of town last weekend... :(

I've got a bunch of scenarios lined up to test with both the 610 and WGA600 to see if I can see a difference in packet structure, throughput, performance, etc. If I can see a difference - I'll run some more tests which will include "low-priority" traffic in both a WMM and non-WMM setup and see if I can push more WMM traffic... Sheesh.. I'm not gonna have time for my "real" job!

:D :D

7. leww37334

leww37334 Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2005
    I have seen a clear demonstrable difference in MRV performance with the WET610 with WMM set to VIDEO versus the default BACKGROUND.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.