Dog Days Of Summer Contest (Contest over)

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Holtz, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Aug 1, 2004 #1 of 19
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Dish Depot and DBS Talk present...
    [size=+3]The Dog Days Of Summer Contest[/size]

Ah, the dog days of summer. Webster defines it as “the period between early July and early September when the hot sultry weather of summer usually occurs in the northern hemisphere”. Perhaps you are planning to take a vacation to a another place like Avalon, or perhaps you feel that there is no place like home thanks to air conditioning. Perhaps it’s time to get some new accessories for your satellite system.

The fine folks at Dish Depot is giving a $50 credit for anything in their store. This includes Dish Network, DirecTV, Voom, and Globecast equipment and accessories. So, in case you dog ate your satellite remote, this will help pay for the replacement from Dish Depot.

As if it wasn’t obvious already, this quiz revolves around dogs. Unlike other contents where you have to get the most answers right, each correct answer on this quiz constitutes an entry into the contest. So, if you have five questions right, you got five chances to win the certificate. (And the first question is almost impossible to get wrong.)

In order to win, however, you must be a registered member in good standing of DBSTalk and a resident of the United States. Entries must be e-mailed to dogdays@dbstalk.com . Limit of one entry per person and be sure to include your DBSTalk name. While it isn’t a Amazing Race to get the entries in, the deadline is Sunday, August 8th at high noon Pacific Time (according to the DBSTalk clock). Excuses like “My dog ate my entry” won’t work. The answers and prize will be announced in DBSTalk’s chat room during the August 9th Dish Technical chat, which airs from 9-10 PM ET/6-7 PM PT. You must be present to win. All entries become property of DBSTalk, and some incorrect entries may be posted for humorous intentions only. And, of course, the DBSTalk Staff, Dish Depot Staff, and those who won a major prize in the past year are ineligible to win, although they are more than welcome to participate.

Good luck!

1. What is a good or unusual name for a dog?
    2. What is the name of Jeff's Collie?
    3. What was the name of the first dog to orbit Earth?
    4. The beginning of this movie has the quote "Why does a dog wag its tail? Because a dog is smarter than its tail. If the tail were smarter, the tail would wag the dog." What is the name of the movie?
    5. Which president named his dog "Veto"?
    6. This dog went from black and white to technicolor in the same movie before being stolen by monkeys. What's the name of this dog?
    7. This popular music group from 1968 to 1974 took it’s name from a story about Australian aborigines and cold nights. What is this group’s name?
    8. At the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, what did Dr. Jones say about the family dog?
    9. Woody and Buzz Lightyear were chased by this CGI dog. What's his name?
    10. This Japanese director's trademark is a basset hound in his movies. What is the name of the director?
    11. In February, 2002, which political/religious figure was "violently" sniffed by the dogs when he and his group protested outside Charlie’s house?
    Be sure to include your DBSTalk Name with your entry.
    If possible, please also answer these optional non-scoring questions:
    • On a scale of 0 to 10, with 0 being easy and 10 being extremely hard, how would you score this quiz?
    • On a scale of 0 to 10, with 0 being "It stinks" and 10 being “one of the best”, how would you rate this contest?
    [size=+2]Good Luck From Dish Depot and DBSTalk![/size]​

2. Aug 2, 2004 #2 of 19
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Some of these questions are a ***** to answer. ;)

3. Aug 2, 2004 #3 of 19
    BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    LOL!! what a great contest, My answers have been submited :)

4. Aug 6, 2004 #4 of 19
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    As a reminder... you have TWO DAYS left to submit your entries in. So, go fetch those answers. And, on one question, only ONE person got it right so far, and it isn't the question that I expected. Based upon the entries that I have so far, the average number of correct answers is 7.75 out of 11. In plain English, that means that, on average, a person has almost eight entries into the contest.

So far, I have received entries from the following:
    • BFG
    • brykc14
    • Charise
    • HappyGoLucky
    • JohnH
    • leefarber
    • pimeson
    • Xoom
    • Redster
    If your name didn't appear AND you know you submitted it, please e-mail it again. You should get an automated response. If you still have problems, please PM me.

Just remember, there are always a few surprises. !devil12: So, give the contest a try.

5. Aug 6, 2004 #5 of 19
    Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Just emailed mine in. I dont have the movie so # 9 was the hardest for me.

6. Aug 6, 2004 #6 of 19
    HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Now you have me wondering about the question I missed. Question #1 seemed to be just a general question without a "correct" answer. Perhaps I'm wrong assuming that. The only other question I had a problem with was #9 since I don't have the movie and it's been forever since I've seen it.

7. Aug 7, 2004 #7 of 19
    Pepper

Pepper Legend

Mar 8, 2004
    oops, I forgot to put my name on my entry, but look at my e-mail address, should be easy to figure out.

I also answered #1 as a "general question" but maybe my answer was the most creative.

8. Aug 7, 2004 #8 of 19
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    If there was a problem with your entry, you would have received some e-mail.

9. Aug 8, 2004 #9 of 19
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Just over six hours left.

10. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I have entries from the following:
    • BFG
    • brykc14
    • Charise
    • HappyGoLucky
    • JohnH
    • leefarber
    • pimeson
    • Redster
    • saulres
    • Selenna
    • Tstorms
    • Xoom

11. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    It was a lot of fun looking for some of these, and a lot of frustration looking for others, at least until I found what I believe to be the answer.

Anyways, I can't be *anywhere* at the times of the chat, what with my kids' bedtimes, but good luck to all the other entrants!

12. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Contest is now closed. See you during the chat tomorrow night!

13. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Here is the draw list:
    1. HappyGoLucky
    2. Redster
    3. Redster
    4. brykc14
    5. Charise
    6. Selenna
    7. Tstorms
    8. pimeson
    9. saulres
    10. Charise
    11. rjenkins
    12. Redster
    13. leefarber
    14. pimeson
    15. HappyGoLucky
    16. saulres
    17. Xoom
    18. saulres
    19. Charise
    20. Xoom
    21. Tstorms
    22. rjenkins
    23. leefarber
    24. Tstorms
    25. saulres
    26. saulres
    27. pimeson
    28. Charise
    29. Selenna
    30. leefarber
    31. BFG
    32. Redster
    33. Redster
    34. Tstorms
    35. Redster
    36. HappyGoLucky
    37. rjenkins
    38. saulres
    39. Selenna
    40. HappyGoLucky
    41. saulres
    42. BFG
    43. rjenkins
    44. leefarber
    45. Charise
    46. Selenna
    47. Tstorms
    48. leefarber
    49. Redster
    50. Charise
    51. rjenkins
    52. Xoom
    53. Xoom
    54. Selenna
    55. BFG
    56. leefarber
    57. Selenna
    58. Xoom
    59. HappyGoLucky
    60. BFG
    61. pimeson
    62. brykc14
    63. Xoom
    64. Tstorms
    65. HappyGoLucky
    66. Tstorms
    67. leefarber
    68. BFG
    69. leefarber
    70. BFG
    71. Charise
    72. rjenkins
    73. Charise
    74. Selenna
    75. rjenkins
    76. pimeson
    77. BFG
    78. pimeson
    79. saulres
    80. Redster
    81. brykc14
    82. leefarber
    83. Xoom
    84. pimeson
    85. Tstorms
    86. Redster
    87. pimeson
    88. leefarber
    89. Selenna
    90. HappyGoLucky
    91. Tstorms
    92. BFG
    93. Charise
    94. rjenkins
    95. BFG
    96. Selenna
    97. rjenkins
    98. HappyGoLucky
    99. leefarber
    100. Redster
    101. Selenna
    102. rjenkins
    103. saulres
    104. Redster
    105. brykc14
    106. Selenna
    107. HappyGoLucky
    108. rjenkins
    109. pimeson
    110. HappyGoLucky
    111. brykc14
    112. BFG
    113. JohnH
    114. saulres

14. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Congratulations to leefarber for winning the DishDepot certificate and TStorms for winning the consolation prize.

15. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    And, now, the answers.

1. What is a good or unusual name for a dog?

Survey says... Bond, James Bond (a pooch with a double-zero rating), Elvis (ain’t nothing like a hound dog), Goliath (must be a big dog), Herpes (arrruuu?), Patch, Prince, Punky, Ruffles (must have ridges on his forehead), Snowball (probably an Alaskan huskey), Spot, Tripod (a three-legged dog), Voom (who enjoys watching the HD service), and ZbigRedDogZ.

In case you are wondering, any name was considered a correct answer.

2. What is the name of Jeff's Collie?

Somehow, it just doesn’t seem the same. Picture a collie running up and barking. “What’s that, Shamus? Timmy fell down the well and broke his leg?”

Just plug this show’s name into Internet Movie Database, and you would find out that Lassie was the correct answer. It kept showing up as a suggestion on my DirecTiVo. 77% of you got it correct.

3. What was the name of the first dog to orbit Earth?

From stay dog to pooch in space, Laika was the first dog on board Sputnik II on November 3rd, 1957. Unfortunately, it was a one-way trip for this dog. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2367681.stm . The satellite burned up on reentry on April 4th, 1958. 92% got it correct.

4. The beginning of this movie has the quote “Why does a dog wag its tail? Because a dog is smarter than its tail. If the tail were smarter, the tail would wag the dog.” What is the name of the movie?

The 1997 film Wag The Dog was released during the Bill Clinton sex scandals where the president threatened action against Iraq. It was just bad timing, but a good film. Once again, 92% got it correct.

5. Which president named this dog “Veto”?

President James Garfield named his dog “Veto” to warn Congress not to send any more bills to the White House that he did not want to sign into law. See http://bond.senate.gov/services/dogs.cfm . Again, 92% got it correct.

6. This dog went from black and white to Technicolor in the same movie before being stolen by monkeys. What's the name of this dog?

Toto, although the real dog’s name was Terry. 85% got this one correct.

7. This popular music group from 1968 to 1974 took it’s name from a story about Australian aborigines and cold nights. What is this group’s name?

According to the Three Dog Night website, the now-famous name came from a story about Australian aborigines who, on cold nights in the outback, sleep with their dogs for warmth. The coldest evenings are known as "three dog nights". 85% got this one correct.

8. At the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, what did Dr. Jones say about the family dog?

“Indiana” is the name of family dog, which is an Alaskan malamute. “Junior” had a lot of fond memories of that dog. 85% got this one correct.

9. Woody and Buzz Lightyear were chased by this CGI dog. What's his name?

This turned out to be the hardest question. “Buster” was the name of Andy’s puppy that made it’s appearance in Toy Story 2. “Slinky Dog” was one of Andy’s toys. “Spud” is a potato. Only 38% said it was Sid’s dog “Scud”. Yes, I checked the DVD and the subtitle, and I initially thought the dog’s name was “Rivets”.

Since the movie was released in 1995, it was in production well before that. It could stand to reason that Operation Desert Storm played an influence as the missiles launched by Iraq were called “Scuds”, which was the western name for the early Soviet missile series.

10. This Japanese director's trademark is a basset hound in his movies. What is the name of the director?

Mamoru Oshii always includes a basset hound whenever possible in each of his movies. He owns a Basset himself, and is a fan of the breed. He directed Avalon, Ghost In The Shell, and PatLabor: The Mobile Police. 85% of you got this correct.

11. In February, 2002, which political/religious figure was “violently” sniffed by the dogs when he and his group protested outside Charlie’s house?

The Reverend Al Sharpton wanted to make sure that Charlie Ergen got the message that they wanted “The Word Network” to be carried by Dish. (See this thread). Al Sharpton claimed that he was violently attacked by dogs at Charlie’s place, but his own video footage showed that he was sniffed by the hounds. Two and a half years later, the channel still isn’t carried, and 46% got it correct.

16. leefarber

leefarber Cool Member

May 10, 2004
    Thanks Mark, and congrats, TStorms!

17. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Wow, so the only question I missed was the Toy Story one.

BTW, the answer I gave to #1 was "Herpes". I got that from the movie "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert". At some outback town the trio see an old man with a dog, one of them pets the dog and asks it's name. The old man says, "Herpes, when its good, it heels". I've laughed about that ever since.

18. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Figured I got that last one wrong; didn't have time to thoroughly research it.

Thanks, Mark, that was fun :)

19. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Your welcome.