Dogs

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just talking about dogs and the Dog channel in a thread that didn't need that discussion. Thought I'd start this where we can chat to our heart's content...

We just picked up a puppy a month ago and it's been interesting. Can't supply a picture, he's totally black and all we get from a photo is a black blob. I'll get him groomed and take his picture then. He's a Double Doodle, BTW. Name's Jax, big fans of SoA my son and I are. Yeah, I know, you're supposed to use a "hard consonant" for a dog's name but I didn't have a whole lot of input. He got used to the name quickly.

Now, about that Dog channel...

Rich

2. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    ...well, about the Dog channel or anything else related to dogs of all sorts. I like dog stories, fire away.

Rich

3. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Dog channel is a la carte, for SD. I’m surprised they’re still around.

I had a mixed yellow lab/German Shepard. She passed away 2 years ago. Awesome dog.

I’ll probably get another dog one day, for sure when I retire.

Rich likes this.
  4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    As I posted on another thread there was a recent free view of DOGTV. We played it for our dog but it only held his interest for a few minutes. He and our cats prefer watching wild life (especially marine life) on Nat Geo Wild and Smithsonian Channel.

5. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Dogs don’t like SD. :)

6. Nov 6, 2019 #6 of 19
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Hoping to have a conversation about Westies...

Rich

7. Nov 6, 2019 #7 of 19
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Jax likes the You Tube dog videos. Lots to learn about dogs on YT. Been a big help.

Rich

8. Nov 6, 2019 #8 of 19
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I wasn't gonna get one. I liked the freedom. Still have that, Jax goes everywhere I do.

Rich

9. Nov 6, 2019 #9 of 19
    steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    First dog was a brown lab, Jake. Awesome dog, got him from a rescue shelter about 200 miles from our house. He rarely barked, and he later acquired laryngeal paralysis among other maladies. We got him the tieback surgery that helped for a couple of years.

He was incredibly friendly, but watch out if he was chewing a rawhide! If you came within two feet of him he'd start to growl, never barked or snapped, but boy that growl was menacing.

Rich likes this.
  10. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Our second dog, Bucky, was a yellow lab via my wife's cousin's husband. Beautiful dog, loved playing fetch, but he was as dumb as a rock. He liked sticking his snout in the water dish and "blowing bubbles". Long story, we had to put him down at age two. While we loved him, it was an incredible relief afterwords.

Wish I would have recorded him blowing bubbles. Never seen another dog do that. First time I told my wife she told me I was full of ****. Fortunately for me it didn't take long before she saw it too.

11. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Current dog is a beagle mix, Bo. He's a rescue from our local humane society. Sob story is he was from TN, found him wandering in a field, put him in an outdoor shelter that was hit be a tornado, then shipped him "up North" to WI. He was recovering from heart worm treatment when we first saw him; really shy, skinny, and sickly looking. Of course the wife and daughter had to take him home. Nursed him back to health and he's running around like nothing happened.

Wife had his DNA sequenced and he's 95% beagle. Funny part is he's 1% Great Dane, so I tell everyone that we have a 30 lb. Great Dane in the house. Fortunately he poops like a 30 lb dog, not a 180 lb dog.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We are still trying to figure out what Jax is. I can see the black lab in him and the standard poodle. Don't see any sign of the golden retriever. Seems to be mostly poodle. I knew a toy poodle years ago. Really enjoyed him. Smart.

Jax is obviously not pure poodle. Too much Lab in him for that. He's gonna hit 5 months next week and is steadily gaining weight. 38 pounds today in the Vet's office. Hoping he levels out at about 60 pounds but I have a feeling he's gonna be a bit larger than that. And all I wanted was a little Maltese.

Rich

13. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    upload_2019-11-6_19-32-48.jpeg

This was my dog Sierra. She passed on 2 years. Great dog. Mixed yellow lab.

steve053 and MysteryMan like this.
  14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My last dog passed in 1989 and I have not had the desire to go through that loss again.
    My mom said that with every passing dog ... but kept taking in dogs abandoned by other family members. Each loss hurt her deeply.

It is amazing how attached one can be to a ball of fur. And how attached the fur balls can be to their people.

MysteryMan and WestDC like this.
  15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Jax spends an inordinate amount of time sleeping on the kitchen tiles, too. How old was Sierra when she passed? Both of my Westies were in great shape until they reached 11 years of age. First they went deaf, then blind.

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, damn near wept typing my last post.

Rich

17. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I'm almost 70. In all those decades there's always been a dog at my side, even during my combat tours in Nam and Iraq. I can't imagine life in this world without a K9 companion. Last year my wife and I adopted a dog from a area shelter. Their website posted his picture and I could see in his eyes he was meant for us. He came with the name Macho which we let him keep so he wouldn't be confused. He was abused by his original owner and traumatized from living in the shelter but has adapted very well since living with my wife and I. He's very intelligent and learned his obedience commands in less than a week. When we brought him to our veterinarian for a check up she spent over a hour with him bonding so he'll be comfortable with future visits. His greatest joy is his daily ride in the car (even if we have no trip planned he gets one). This is the picture the shelter posted of him. Macho.jpg

Rich and phrelin like this.
  18. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    In 2001 our previous dog died in my wife's arms in the middle of the night. We said we would not get another dog. But in early 2016 our daughter-in-laws father died leaving this guy...
    [​IMG]
    ..who was nearly blind and old for his breed, Australian Cattle Dog. So when she said she was trying to find a home for Mick, we said we'd take him joking that like us he was old and hard-of-seeing. The assumption was he'd die before us, meaning in a year or two. Well, he's now completely blind, still going strong, and stubborn. And now, of course, we're very attached to him even though he sleeps most of the time and has occasional "accidents" in the house. Sigh.

Rich and MysteryMan like this.
  19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Jax turns six months old this week. He was 7 weeks old when we got him. He weighed 16 pounds on the day we bought him and is now approaching 50 pounds. I was told 40-50 pounds by the breeder. Vet now says 80 pounds. I can only hope that is as heavy as he gets. Kinda doubt that the way he eats.

And he eats damn near everything he can get his paws on. Ate my good pair of glasses a few weeks ago. Bought two new pair just in case he does it again.

Happiest, funniest dog I've ever known. He's gonna be neutered this coming Wednesday, I'm hoping that doesn't change his personality too much.

Rich