Dolby Digital Output

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by BigEFan, Jan 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigEFan

BigEFan New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I'm looking to buy an additional Dish Network receiver for my new game/ theater room. Of course I have bought a new a/v receiver and would like to take advantage of digital audio that is available on some satellite channels. As a relative newbie I have some questions:
    1) How many channels offer "real" digital audio and is all their programming digital audio or just some of it.
    2) What satellite (edited) receivers are available that have digital audio capabilities. My budget for this project is dwindling so cost is a factor and I am not opposed to buying used equipment. What models, new and old, do you recommend.

Thanks for the advice

2. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    1) The only channels that I can tell a difference in are the HD channels HDNET, TNTHD, DiscHD, etc....the main networks in HD also. They are coded in Dolby Digital and sound really good. Usually they are Dolby ProLogic. I don't have HBO, Showtime, etc, so I can't speak for those.

But receivers have their own magic they can do to a regular standard audio signal that make them sound much much better than standard TV audio. Usually they have several sound stage modes to choose from to suit your personal tastes.

2) Most receivers nowadays have digital audio capabilities..either coaxial or optical or both. Just look on the receiver for Dolby Digital 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, etc and or DTS. The logos are on the front. As far as the looking at the inputs in the back of the receiver, check out this webpage for optical or coaxial digital inputs. http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/howto-av.html

The other part of this question is very open ended. I prefer Onkyo (sold at Circuit City) myself. Its not real high priced, sounds great (IMHO) and does the job. But if you ask someone else, they make like a different brand. The size of your room is something to consider to before purchasing a reciever. You must factor in the $$ spent on 6-8 speakers and all the wiring too. You have a lot of research and decision making to do.

3. BigEFan

BigEFan New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I apologize for the inconveinence. When I asked what receivers, new and old, do you recommend, I was referring to Satellite receivers. I have already acquired my A/V receiver and I am in the market for an additional E* receiver, new or used.

4. BigEFan

BigEFan New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    OK, so my last thread wasn't clear. My apologies, like I said, I am a newbie.

Here is my question: What Dish Network Satellite Receivers have dolby digital outputs (that are not DVRs)? What are your opinions of these receivers?

How useful is the dolby digital output? Are there that many shows/movies that are in Dolby Digital?

5. NightRyder

NightRyder Legend

Jan 29, 2004
    Check this out.

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/101

NightRyder

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I think the 4900s are the last non-HD / non-PVR receivers that E* has put out that have the DD capability. One NICE thing about the TOSLINK - you have options so that the DBS receiver can output PCM when the source is not DD - at least to my ears on my A/V receiver, this sounds better than the equivalent analog output, even if the output is only Dolby Prologic.

DOlby Digital - some of the PPV channels, and some of the Premium movie channels.

7. geobernd

geobernd Mentor

Nov 4, 2004
    I I can confirm that PCM sounds better (to my ears anyway) on my 5.1 system than RCA analog. It even made me invest in an optical to coax converter for my 508 because I had maxed out the optical inputs on my receiver....

8. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    There are (DD) indicators for the channels that are DD5.1 capable in the channel listing at http://www.dishchannelchart.com . Really the only DD5.1 Standard Def channels are the premium channels like HBO, SHO, and PPV channels.

But all HDTV channels have DD5.1, even your locals.

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Some of my locals are not always 5.1... NBC, for instance, is often just 2.0, but it still sounds better than PCM. CBS is also often just 2.0, except during their HD football broadcasts. My local WB station is broadcasting HD, but Dolby LT RT (whatever the heck that means) instead of 2.0 or 5.1 most of the time.

The Satellite exception to above, is ESPNHD. They are using Circle Surround, which can be decoded and made into decent surround by Dolby ProLogic, but doesn't sound the same as Dolby 5.1 does to me.

10. jrrdy1380

jrrdy1380 Mentor

Jun 27, 2003
    I have a 510 w/ DD capability and I just recently got a DD home theater setup over the holidays but I do not see anyway to connect to DD from the receiver to the home theater. The only way I could get the audio to work through the system is to use RCA cables but now I can not see the video and when I finally get the video (after moving the cables around-using a RF modulator for the DVD player since my TV only has the RF connector), I only get the two front speakers to work.

Anyone know of something I can use to get the DD working from the 510 to my system or should I think about updating my TV?

11. mkpolley

mkpolley Legend

Dec 7, 2003
    i have a 4900,yes it has optical and coxial connections,i dont use it now,replaced it with hd 811.
    my 4900 is for sale,asking about 70$

12. geobernd

geobernd Mentor

Nov 4, 2004
    The 510 has an optical TOSLINK output - connect that to your home theater and you are all set (also make sure that DD and PCM is set in the menu)

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    HDMe is 100% correct. Locals can opt not to provide DD5.1 and restort to just DD2.0.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.