1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Done Deal. Hello Dish!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by priester68, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1 of 24
    priester68

priester68 AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    Signed up for
    Classic Gold 250 w/locals
    HD Platinum (whatever that is)
    VIP 722 HD DVR
    VIP 222 HD

Installer coming Saturday at noon.

So now my total bill (after promo prices) will be $89 a month. And I have service on all 4 tv's. Directv was charging me over $100 a month for only two tv's and not as many channels that I'm interested in. Not a big sports fan.

How does the HD and SD quality compare to Directv?

Hope the install and service goes well. Have heard horror stories from both sat companies.

2. Oct 6, 2009 #2 of 24
    oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    My installation is tomorrow, I’m looking forward to paying less and getting more.

3. Oct 6, 2009 #3 of 24
    priester68

priester68 AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    I know this sounds stupid but WORLD FISHING NETWORK. HELL YEAH.

Also, Outdoor Channel and my VS back. AWESOME!

4. Oct 6, 2009 #4 of 24
    oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Platinum HD channels like MGM HD, World Fishing Network HD, Fashion TV HD, Universal HD and HDNet Movies

5. Oct 6, 2009 #5 of 24
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Cngrats!

6. Oct 6, 2009 #6 of 24
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You realize MGM-HD, Universal-HD, & HDNet Movies are on Directv, too?

7. Oct 6, 2009 #7 of 24
    priester68

priester68 AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    yes I know. That's not the only reason I'm switching.

8. Oct 6, 2009 #8 of 24
    oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Yes I do, :)
    and do you realize I’m saving a boat load of cash with this switch?:)
    It’s true :D

9. Oct 6, 2009 #9 of 24
    satjay

satjay AllStar

Nov 20, 2006
    I switched as well, I have had Dish for about six months, I am happy with the HD picture, also happy that I can have three TV's with two recievers!

10. priester68

priester68 AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    The hard part is having to learn another system all over again. Guess it's worth having a lower bill and better programming that I want.

11. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I haven’t told DirecTV that I’m leaving, just in case there is a delay in my installation but once everything is up and running I will call and Cancel for real. Have you called yet?

12. tnnolman

tnnolman Cool Member

Aug 9, 2009
    After next month, I am going to add DN along w ith DTV because we have commitments with our recvr and we do not to lose NFL ST. I have researched the priving and it is good but, i am going to have to wait another month on my decision.

13. scoobyxj

scoobyxj Godfather

Apr 15, 2008
    While there is nothing wrong with keeping your D* system along with a Dish system just keep in mind that your tech is going to have to run dedicated lines for the Dish systems receivers. You can diplex the TV2 signal into the D* system to get video to the TV2 TVs in the system, but the receivers will need there own runs to the dish.

14. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Yes but right now, new and current users don't have to pay for them. One quick call and the Platinums are free, Directs you still have to buy the HD Extras to get them. $5 here $5 dollars there and before you know it you are saving $40 or more.

15. priester68

priester68 AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    oldschoolecw

I've not called yet either. No since sitting in the dark. The second I see my new Dish system working I'll be giving Directv and their rude CSR's the verbal finger. I'm so excited. They have made my wife cry for the last time with their attitudes. I called yesterday to make sure I wasn't under contract with them which I'm not. If I was I would probably tell them to shove it after all the rude stuff they have done to me and my wife. Hell DISH!

World Fishing Network in HD---Wife not gonna like that at all. HA HA:rolleyes:

16. bilzfan

bilzfan New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    My plan is to do about the same thing. I see no way retention is going to make me a deal that is better than E*. I plan on leaving the D* equipment running until the truck pulls up. Hopefully the D* dish comes down, the receivers are disconnected and the wiring gets used for the new E* installation. I'll call right after the E* truck pulls away. My contract ends on 12/2 so I'm going to terminate a month or so early. I'm looking forward to getting my first DVR in the house. :)

17. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I switched a couple of months ago, but kept my D* system active for Family Plan/HD/DVR because my locals aren't in HD on E* yet and I was watching Deadwood on the 101. A couple days ago I went ahead and cancelled D* out because that was too much money for 5 channels.

My locals still aren't in HD on E*, but are supposed to light up on Nov 4th. But in reality, I can stand a little SD on a couple of locals I can't get via OTA for a bit.

Don't regret the switch, and I'm so pleased with speedy HDDVR operation and accurate remote response, not to mention nothing skips to end anymore... :)

18. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    How long is the promotional price good for?

19. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I think it just started, hopefully someone who has had Dish for a while will have that answer for you.

20. priester68

priester68 AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    My promotional price is $15 off total bill for 1 year. That's half the contract time. Seemed like a good deal to me.