Don't flush out the buffer ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by John Nadeau, May 18, 2008.

1. John Nadeau

John Nadeau AllStar

Sep 5, 2007
    Is there a way to either :

1) retain the buffer when switching channels (rather than flushing it out) ? Is there a keyword trick (like the 30skip trick) to enable this?

2) set up a warning message (to let you know you're watching buffered TV) before switching channels ? Our old ReplayTv box would warn you before flushing out the buffer.

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    The HR20/21's do not have DLB (dual live buffer) so when you change channels it will clear the buffer.

If you do a search for DLB you will find a lot of threads about it.

There is a work around that works ok. If you record one of the programs you can press pause on the live tuner and play the other program from your "My Playlist". Than press the previous button to jump between the two. But when you go to jump from the live buffer to the recording program you need to hit pause again.

Or you can record both programs and play one then select the other to play and press the previous button to jump between the two. Doing it that way you don't have to press pause.

3. John Nadeau

John Nadeau AllStar

Sep 5, 2007
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, I've read... and read... and read about the DLB :)

This is a little different concept in that I'm not trying to watch two buffered programs.

I have a DVR (with only one tuner and only one live buffer) that has an option to either "retain" OR "flush" the buffer when switching channels. It just keeps what's written on the hard drive in place, rather than wiping it out.

It's nice when you have 30 minutes buffered, swap out to another channel (sometimes by mistake... grrrrr), and can still come back to your buffered 30 minutes. My ReplayTv at least warns you when you're watching "paused tv".

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Sorry but there is not an option for that. The only way to keep the program when changing channels is if you were recording it.

5. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    My problem is that someone often sits on the remote, or the dog changes channels, and the buffer is accidentally lost. Of course, a warning message would do no good in cases like that.
    I'm tired of the dog changing to Animal Planet all the time...

6. John Nadeau

John Nadeau AllStar

Sep 5, 2007
    Actually, that's a good example! If this feature is properly implemented, it not only warns you, but requires you hit enter again to confirm that you want to change channels.

Retaining the buffer would be even better though, esp if your dog is as talented as it sounds.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If it's really important to keep the buffer, just record the program as you are watching it. If you navigate to another channel you will still have it, and if both tuners are in use you'll get a warning message.

When you're done with the show, just before it ends, push stop, then choose "stop and delete".

8. rynberg

rynberg Legend

Oct 6, 2006
    Wow, I can't imagine something more annoying than a dialog box coming up that I have to click through EVERY time I change a channel.

I seriously don't get why you would regularly be watching programs using the buffer...

9. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Yes, there is a button on the remote that gives you direct access to this feature. It is the Record button.

As Stuart said.

10. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Not familar with the HR2x, but if you paused your show for a few 10 seconds during a commerial break or someplace, don't you get a pop up message saying this action can only be carried out in live mode or something like that, when you try to change the channel? You have to select yes, no or Cancel, and Cancel is default when you just hit the enter/select button. This would stop the accidental changing of the station.

11. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    That may be a feature of other DVRs but for HR20s there is no distinction between live TV and buffered TV.

12. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    That kind of sucks.

13. digger16309

digger16309 Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    I would like DLB on the HR-series as much as the next 1000 people who have complained about it.

But I don't want what you describe anywhere near my DVR, not even as an option that can be turned off.

It'll be DVRVista.

"Are you sure you want to change the channel?"

"You've changed the channel twice in 1 minute. Are you sure you want to continue?"

"You are not authorized to change the channel on this unit."

"You are not authorized to override this feature."

Please....

14. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Stuart -- the problem with that is you could get too many recording conflicts. Let's say I am recording a show on channel 2 and watching the Mets on channel 9. During a commercial break, I want to switch to channel 11 to see the Yankees score. If I press record on channel 9, I can't turn to channel 11 (since both tuners are in use). If I don't press record on channel 9, then when I turn to channel 11, I lose the buffer.

If DirecTV's DVRs had continuous buffers, then when I change a channel, it would just append the new channel to the buffer. I could still rewind to what I was watching previously. I don't really understand the purpose of flushing the buffer on a channel change. You don't gain anything and you lose something (notibly the previously buffered channel).

15. John Nadeau

John Nadeau AllStar

Sep 5, 2007
    Digger... that's actually hillarious! I can totally relate that to my own Vista experience :D

However, for the record, the feature I'm referring to only warns you when the buffer has been paused (at some point in time) and it's a one-button response to dismiss it. It has worked very nicely on ReplayTv. Many times I'll pause live TV, walk away for a while, let it que up a bunch of programs, then just skip thru the commercials or whatever. It's a gentle reminder that if you change the channel, everything you've qued will be gone. The current work-around of pressing record means you have to record every show on a channel, back-to-back, then delete each one when done.

As Upstream described it, I would prefer to have the option of enabling or disabling a "continuous buffer" (which does not get lost when changing channels). I have this on another DVR and it works great!!!

Don't worry though, having this option "near your DVR" wouldn't force you to use it :)

16. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I get that... and I wish there were more tuners, or continuous buffers, or something like that available for people who are willing to pay for it. However, this comes down to the hardware. It's not like pulling analog SD down and just encoding what you get. You're talking about discrete streams that would somehow have to be merged or resolved within the continuous buffer.

As I understand it, the purpose of flushing the buffer is to avoid having to deal with the sort of issues that come with potentially different encoding methods, bitrates, and output resolutions when attempting to buffer a channel change.

17. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    Probably just that it would be extremely difficult to implement. I've had 5 different brands/models of DVRs and none of them could do this without using DLB.

Also, every other DVR I've had gave a warning before changing the channel if you were watching from the buffer. My HR20 is the only one that hasn't done it.

18. digger16309

digger16309 Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Every DVR I've had, 4 different brands/models, have not warned me before changing the channel, granted, they were all DirecTV models.

Seriously, I guess I don't watch TV from the buffer much because in 4 years with a DVR, I don't remember ever changing the channel and thinking "Oh damn, I was watching that and I just lost the buffer."

19. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    I don't either. If I'm going to watch something delayed, I record it and watch it from the list a little bit after it starts. Pretty much the only time I use the buffer is if I'm watching the news and I want to go back to see the weather or something.