1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't Like Movie Houses?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't, for a lot of reasons. Biggest reason is I get much better PQ at home. Been that way for many years, not just because of the 4K sets. But I got this today in one of my feeds:
    Samsung’s 34-foot Onyx LED TV looks to change movie theaters forever
    If this article is true, I will give it a shot, sticky shoes or not.

Rich

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Impressive!

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Sticky floors aside, I haven't been to a theater since I got my first HD tv in 2003, a Panny 55". I have no need or desire pay exorbitant ticket prices in order to embed myself in the midst of a bunch of rude, smelly strangers talking on their bright-screen smartphones, just to see a pretty picture.

In the referenced article, notice in the pictures the theaters are virtually empty.

Enjoy your sticky shoes. :(

P.S. I can pause my movies to go to the bathroom. Try doing that in a theater. :D

P.P.S. I've saved a ton of $$ in 15 years.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Phil T and jimmie57 like this.
  4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Indeed. My son goes to the movies a lot and he always asks us if we want to go. Last few times I went all I could think of was how can they put up such a crappy picture? Still think watching at home is much more convenient in many ways but it would be nice to at least have the option to go and not be annoyed by the PQ.

Rich

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My point is you don't get near the PQ at the movies as you do at home. What I linked to might fix this.

Rich

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There are too many variables and not enough qualifiers to accept such a blanket statement.

And while I appreciate the ability to pause movies at home (and rewind, and watch again) and the availability of closed captioning (without special glasses) at home I have not had a negative theater experience in a while. Most of my "movie house" visits are for special films or special nights where I wanted the theatrical experience (and related costs). And there are times where I felt that by going to the theater I actually watched the film ... too much of what I watch at home is background viewing. At the theater I honor the 'cellphones off" rule and focus on the presentation instead of what else is in the room. While others may have a different (and more stereotypical) experience, the experience of watching a movie in a theater can be better.

As for PQ there are too many variables. Is the movie distributed on film or digitally? How was the movie mastered? And, of course, what one has at home. That is where the qualifiers come in.

7. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    My wife insisted we see "La La Land" at a movie theatre last year. The sound volume was so loud during the misic numbers that I not only removed my hearing aids but also covered my ears with my fingers. And there's no way to fast forward through the previews and ads before the main picture. I haven't been back since. No sticky floors and no crowds at the theatre, but my recliner at home is much more comfortable than a movie seat.
    One nice thing about watching a movie at home is that if I find it's not that interesting after a few minutes I can just get up and walk into another room to read.

8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    While I find the Onyx impressive I don't see one coming to my area in the near future. The last time my wife and I went to a movie theater was back in 2007 to see "The Bucket List". Been using and enjoying our Home Theater Room ever since.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
  10. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    The only thing I would miss is the audience reactions.

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    And that is what I don't want to experience.

12. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    My 80 year parents still enjoy going the movies. My nephew and I went with them yesterday. They have a newer Harkins about 2 miles from their house with assigned seating and recliners in every theater.

13. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    Every now and then during the summer we go to a theater near our lakeside cottage where we have reclining seats, complete control of the sound, temperature, and can even bring our own preferred snacks and drinks. The PQ leaves a little to be desired, especially early on before it's full dark out. Being a drive-in theater though, it can be a long walk to the bathroom... ;)

Nick likes this.
  14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Did you notice what a disappointing movie that was? I saw Space Jam in a local theatre a few years ago and had a similar noise experience. Why it had to be that loud escapes me.

Rich

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Everybody tells me the local houses have all been upgraded, new reclining seats, much more legroom. Food and alcoholic beverages in some houses, kinda like a restaurant with a show. Still doesn't interest me...bad PQ is bad PQ.

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not missing that.

Rich

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Still have drive-ins in NY state? I think Jersey has none...ask Google...huh, there's one in Vineland. Interesting.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I guess I could find one in the City...nah.

Rich

19. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Rich, you should if you have a chance. Or a laser driven imax screen. those are both far and above others...

I am lucky though, a lot of theaters around me have had 4k projectors for a long time now... So I have had good quality for ages.

I recall going to one of the first screens that had a dlp 1080 projector way way back... We do get stuff earlier out here in LA...

20. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    We don't go to a theater house unless it has the latest and greatest -
    1. The reclining seats with LOTS of room
    2. State of the art PQ and audio.
    3. Reserved seats are great too.

Mostly because I don't have that similar experiance at home - my biggest TVs are only 32 inchers, and I only have DD 5.0 audio