1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double-covered sports games - which channel is which?!?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Riot Nrrrd™, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Riot Nrrrd™

Riot Nrrrd™ AllStar

Mar 29, 2006
    [Forgive me if this has been covered before, or if this is the wrong forum to post this in.]

So right now DirecTV® has the NBA promotion thing going on through Nov. 2nd, right?

I am a Celtics fan on the West Coast and am at work when their East Coast games are on, so I need to DVR them.

The other day I looked at the on-screen Guide and I see two channels listed for the Celtics-Cavaliers game.

I figured one channel must be the Cavs' local feed (which turned out to be Fox Sports Ohio) and the other one a Celtics' local feed (maybe NESN). Right?

So I try to find the Celtics feed channel to record it, and the info in the Guide for both channels is exactly the same!!! :rolleyes:

So I flip a coin and choose one. Get home, fire up the recording, and sure enough - I recorded the 'wrong' one, i.e. the Fox Sports Ohio feed. :bang

Same thing tonight - at 7:30 PM EDT, the Celtics-Knicks game is listed as being on both channels 757-1 and 758-1. I flipped a coin and set it to record channel 758-1. I bet I'm wrong again, and I get an MSG/YES NY feed recorded.

Am I insane? Is there really no way to find out which channel is which so I can pick the Celtics' announcing team? :confused:

Dear DirecTV®, if your idea of this promotion is to entice me into purchasing one of these $$$ sports packages, it isn't working - if I can't get information this basic out of your Guide so that I can pick the station I want to watch to make the recording from, there's no way I'm going to buy it, ever. :nono:

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Away team feed is listed first...or record off the RSN.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1......that's some avatar you have :confused:

4. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  5. Riot Nrrrd™

Riot Nrrrd™ AllStar

Mar 29, 2006
    Thanks, sigma1914! Curious - how did you find that out? :confused:

(I called DirecTV® earlier this morning and they had no clue. Figures.)

I'm not sure I parse "record off the RSN" - Regional Sports Network?

So it sounds like this time I "flipped the coin" correctly - by choosing 758-1 I'll get the "Home" feed, which is the Celtics' feed as the game is in Boston.

6. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    If you have the sports pack, yes, you can DVR right from the RSN in this case, Comcast New England that's located in the 600 range.

7. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Pretty much known on this forum since DirecTV started providing dual feeds of hockey, basketball and baseball. I think we got a confirmation of sorts from SatelliteRacer who works for DirecTV but the pattern has held for a couple of years now.

But the Celtics games that are on League Pass will be on their local sports channel (CSN-NE) which is opened up for the games if you have League Pass (if you do not have the Sports Package, it will be off for all other programming).

8. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You don't need the Sports Pack.

9. psuscott0483

psuscott0483 Godfather

Apr 16, 2009
    Douglassvill...
    ive tried this with hockey, but the RSN goes black when the game on CI kicks in.

10. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Then something's wrong on your end. Myself and many others use the RSNs all the time. The only time it's blacked out is if it's on a national channel or if the opponent is your local team.

11. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    RSN always works for me w/o SP.

12. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I have NHL CI and always watch the Bruins games on the RSN (NESN) except when they are blacked out because the game is on NHLN or Versus.

13. Riot Nrrrd™

Riot Nrrrd™ AllStar

Mar 29, 2006
    Pardon my stupidity (again) but ...

Isn't the "Sports Pack" the thing where you have to pay for like 30 channels just to get the one or two you might actually want? :D

But to be serious, I thought I had read a while back that getting those channels wouldn't do you any good - i.e. because all the major sports games would be blacked out (unless you had the Center Ice and/or Sunday Ticket and/or League Pass and/or Extra Innings packages). :confused:

In other words, I thought "Great, all I need to do is order that Sports Pack package and get NESN & CSN-NE and I'll be all set, I can watch all the Red Sox/Patriots/Celtics/Bruins games" (out here in Los Angeles), but then I could swear I saw something that said I would get NESN & CSN-NE, but all I would be able to watch is all of their non-Red Sox/Patriots/Celtics/Bruins programming.

I went to DirecTV®'s "Local Regional Sports Network Information" page and I see

"Blackout restrictions apply to regional sports networks. To view games of other pro teams (out-of-market) requires the purchase of professional sports packages sold separately."

which tells me that my suspicion was right - i.e. that if I order the "Sports Pack" and get NESN/CSNE as a result, if I turn to those channels (628 + 630) during Pro sports broadcasts, I'll get a black(out) screen. Right???

Can someone straighten me out on this? :confused:

14. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Unfortunately those pesky blackout rules do apply.

15. Riot Nrrrd™

Riot Nrrrd™ AllStar

Mar 29, 2006
    Damn, bummer :(

OK. So there's basically no point in me getting the "Sports Pack" (unless I want to watch Boston-area college hockey or some other obscure non-Pro sport, which I don't).

What a drag. I can watch Angels/Dodgers/Kings/Ducks/Fakers/Clippers until the cows come home, but I can't watch my hometown teams unless I want to shell out a thousand bucks a year :nono2:

16. Riot Nrrrd™

Riot Nrrrd™ AllStar

Mar 29, 2006
    So basically, if you know the Ways Of The Ninja™, you can find out this secret information, but if you're some poor slob who doesn't know about DBSTalk, you have no way of finding out from the DirecTV® on-screen Guide that the Away team's feed is listed first. :rolleyes:

I can't believe they couldn't put something into the Guide title - like "Knicks vs. Celtics" (or "Knicks at Celtics") in the top/Away feed channel and "Celtics vs. Knicks" in the bottom/Home feed channel to let you know visually which is which.

Guess I'm glad I know about this Web site :D

Thanks everyone!

17. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Or you just pay attention. That is how we figured it out. They used to have the information on their website. Not sure they still do.

18. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Even easier: go on line and look at the DirecTV website's schedule for the sports pack you are interested in, in this case, NBA. The schedule lists the channel the game is on in both SD and HD, and if there are two feeds, it tells you which channel has which feed. I do this for NHL CI, and it is almost always correct. Occasionally for unclear reasons it only lists one feed when there are two.

Although the first feed (lower channel number) is almost always the away feed, for some reason it is not always that way.

BTW, I am one of those people where trying to record the RSN DOESN'T work. I don't have the SportsPak, but I subscribe to NHL CI. If I try to record the MSG networks, I sometimes get a blank recording even when there are no apparent reasons for a black out.

SMK

19. Riot Nrrrd™

Riot Nrrrd™ AllStar

Mar 29, 2006
    Thanks - never saw those pages before. (I've been to the general Sports Pack page, not the individual pages for each Pro package.)

Still don't understand why this info is not in either theGuide page on the Web site or in the on-screen guide ... but at least now I have a workaround.

20. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Just conjecture but typically Directv doesn't mess much with the program guide information. I'd guess the info is available somewhere but who knows what coordination it would take to get it in there.