1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downgrading Package

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by kristina, Jan 10, 2010.

1. kristina

kristina Mentor

Nov 12, 2007
    Hi guys. After 12 years of being a Platinum/Premier subscriber, I'm thinking of downgrading to Choice Extra with HBO and Showtime added. I never watch the sports channels, except for our local CSN Bay Area, and rarely watch the other movie channels, especially the SD ones. With the two added premiums, I get a total of $92 if I make the switch, vs. $115 (this is after the price increase). Is this right, or am I missing something?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm not sure of the pricing, but does your current package have the DVR fee builtin? Just remember that's extra now. I couldn't remember if those were still grandfathered in.

3. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I have the Choice Xtra HD DVR package and just dropped 2 of 3 premium channels, so I'm pretty familiar with the pricing. Its currently $76 for the package and for 2 premiums $26 (HBO is $2 more then any other premium). Not including any additional hardware, the price is $102. The increase on this package will be $3, so it will be $105. So you would still have some savings over the premium package @ $115.

If you could live with HBO & Cinemax instead of Showtime, they currently were offering a 2 for 1 deal for 3 mo's. So mention that you might cancel all premiums and ask if they have any promo. They will probably give it to you.

4. kristina

kristina Mentor

Nov 12, 2007
    Hmm. So I'm pretty sure the DVR fee has been grandfathered in. That's now $7.99? Maybe this won't end up being a huge savings after all. I do want HBO and Showtime, specifically for their original programming.

5. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    The DVR fee is going from $6 to $7 in Feb. FYI, in another thread people were complaining that D* is removing their grandfathered free DVR in Feb [Link].

6. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    You're not going to save much unless you give up all premium movie channels. I'm in the same pinch. Lot's of us are.

7. Boston_bill

Boston_bill Icon

Jul 23, 2009
    Interesting. I need to make changes too. I used to be on Platinum but that didnt include HD DVR. I currently have Choice Extra. I have HBO/Cinemax and Starz/Encore almost never watch them. Id like to keep HBO. Something's gotta give. Even with out the sports packages I pay for Im paying a fortune for stuff I hardly watch. Ive heard mixed messages from D# on whether I would keep NESN and CSNE which are my local sports networks.

8. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    Pricing as of Feb

Premier $115
    Choice Extra $64
    HBO - $15
    Showtime $13
    Cinemax $13
    Starz $13
    Sports $13

so Choice Extra with HBO and Showtime will cost $92
    Choice Extra with all premiums will cost $131 (basically get HBO for free by using premier)

I left the HD and DVR fee's out because they are the same with all packages now.

9. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Sooooo much cheaper to just go with Netflix vs. any premium movie channels. I gave them up a couple years ago because for just the cost of HBO alone I can get 3 out at a time with Netflix vs. paying all that money for maybe 2-3 movies a month. I understand those that get HBO or Showtime for the original series, but you gotta ask yourself this: Is it really worth that much per month for a couple shows? Wait 6 months and they are on DVD and you can mainline the episodes so you get to watch them anyway.

Something to think about.

10. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    I am thinking of doing the same thing. I currently have Premier with DVR fee grandfathered. If I go with CHOICE XTRA+ HD DVR for $75.99, my understanding is that it is everything except the movie channels and the RSN's that are not a part of my local area. Also, it appears that this includes the DVR and HD Access fees. Is this correct?

If so, it would appear that my bill would change as follows:
    Currently:
    $109.99 Premiere
    $4.99 HD Extra Pack
    $5.99 Protection Plan
    $4.99 Receiver 2
    $4.99 Receiver 3
    $4.99 Receiver 4
    $10.00 HD Access
    $145.94 Total

New:
    $74.99 CHOICE XTRA + HD DVR
    $4.99 HD Extra Pack
    $5.99 Protection Plan
    $4.99 Receiver 2
    $4.99 Receiver 3
    $4.99 Receiver 4
    $100.94 Total

This would be a $45 savings per month. Even if I add Netflix for $9 per month, I would still be saving $36 per month.

Picked up Ooma for $190 out the door and kicked the landline to the curb. That will save me another $35 per month.

We all gotta find ways to cut costs somehow these days.

11. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    if you are looking to save money, you might want to consider the "value" of the HD extra package. I know for me its not worth 5 bucks a month.

12. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    Agreed. I did do some calculating on this one. I figure I watch enough of the channels to justify it. HDNet Movies and C&I are 2 that I watch a good deal. MGM also from time to time. Smithsonian still shows too many repeats.

13. GregAmy

GregAmy AllStar

Jan 7, 2008
    Ditto. $150/mo for TV is getting pretty steep. I'm considering dropping Premier (w/ DVR and HD) and going to Choice Xtra + HD DVR, buying a Blu-Ray player, and signing up for Netflix. Other than waiting 'til the end of the season for "Californication" and "Penn & Teller" I probably won't miss it, but I'll save ~$45/mo minus Netflix costs...which will easily pay for the Blu-Ray...

14. mpar1

mpar1 AllStar

Mar 20, 2008
    Unfortunately I subscribe to the premiums for boxing so I am stuck.

15. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    I agree. You can also save $6/month if you can add your DirecTV bill to Verizon's 'One Bill'. I think other telcos offer this service too.

The ironic thing is that this $6 credit makes any potential FiOS TV savings (which is available for me) basically a wash and keeps me with DirecTV.

16. GregAmy

GregAmy AllStar

Jan 7, 2008
    Potentially silly question (though, given past practices, I gotta ask): when I downgrade from Premier, will I lose access to the movies I've already recorded off HBO/Starz/Cinemax, etc (HR21-700)?

Second question: changing package does not re-up me for a two-year commitment, right? I'd prefer to leverage that for a new receiver some time this year.

Signed up for Netflix last night, we'll see how it works out...

17. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    NO....they'll still be on the hard drive of that unit.
    NO.

18. wideglide36

wideglide36 Legend

Jan 14, 2004
    ffemtreed,

I thought you would lose the DVR service fee if you down graded from the Premier.

Which would mean you would have to add the six or seven dollars to your new figures.

I may be wrong, so maybe someone can clarify.

I'm not sure it includes the HD access either. Could someone clear this up as I might think about this down grade also if it includes the HD access and no DVR service fee.

19. GregAmy

GregAmy AllStar

Jan 7, 2008
    hdtvfan0001, thanks for the info.

wideglide36, I have Premier, and I get one (of three) receivers credited*, but I still have to pay the $10 HD Access fee. Going from Premier Monthly ($109.99) plus HD Access ($10) to "CHOICE XTRA™ + HD DVR" ($75.99) will drop $44 off my bill (I hope, unless I've miscalculated...in which case, I can always go back.)

GA

*I assume this credit is part of the Premier package; I can't think of any other reason they'd do that.

20. pappy97

pappy97 Icon

Nov 14, 2009
    I get that, but for us we have netflix for both of us to rent movies at will, but premiums are nice for my wife to watch movies that she doesn't think about until she seems them in the guide and then schedules a recording. She also likes to put these movies on during the day as background for other stuff she is doing.

I personally don't get a whole lot out of it (besides Skinamax in HD :D), but for my wife and I we use the premiums AND netflix heavily so it makes sense.

Having said all of that, once all our premium promos end, we are almost definitely dumping Showtime because it's the least watched between the wife and I (Even though we are Dexter fans). My wife really wants Starz and to a lesser extent HBO, and I want to keep Skinamax.