Downloaded programs to iPad are a joke. Standard def. Worthless.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Steve Rhodes, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    We finally got DIRECTV to download to our iPads. Sorry we wasted our time

The recordings are standard def 480p.

I haven't watched standard def in over a decade.

Seriously AT&T, what a joke.

jimmie57 likes this.
  2. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Maybe this is intentional, only having standard def video available for downloading.

Perhaps AT&T no longer aspires to be a leading edge tech company. Perhaps they are intentionally trying for a retro approach.

Maybe their next product will be a fancy new line of analog cell phones.

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Does it really make that much of a difference on an iPad screen? I think DIRECTV just figures that folks would want to be able to put more programming on the devices at a lower resolution then a higher one but taking much more space.

bmetelsky likes this.
  4. Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU Legend

Jan 28, 2004
    Ocean...
    <sarcasm on> Yes, we all need to watch TV programming in 4K on a tiny 9.7 inch screen!

While we're at it, how about adding support for uncompressed 8K resolution on my Zune HD's 3.3 inch screen?
    <sarcasm off>

bmetelsky likes this.
  5. poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    Yes it does.

brian26339 likes this.
  6. brian26339

brian26339 New Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Agreed! Especially on an iPad Pro.

I would gladly deal with bigger file sizes for a better quality picture. I don't think anyone is asking for 4K, but 720p or 1080i would be nice.

I record a lot of sports and take it with me on the road. The fast moving action really suffers at the current picture resolution. Also, it would be nice to be able to use the hdmi out on the iPad and get a usable picture on the hotel room tv's with the download programs.

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I don't know where the quality levels equate, but both Amazon Video downloads and NetFlix downloads allow you to select various quality levels.

Amazon ranges from "Best - 1 hour of video uses about 0.46 GB of data and storage" to "Data Saver - 1 hour of video uses about 0.09 GB of data and storage." There is also a Better (0.23 GB) and Good (0.16 GB).

NetFlix uses a Standard and High. I've downloaded episodes of House of Cards (50 minutes?), and they use between 0.2-0.4 GB at Standard. On my 8" tablet, that level looks very good.

But at least they are both offering choices.