1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downton Abbey season finale - a record 8.3 million viewers

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Feb 19, 2013.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From the PBS news release:
    Of course, it was helped by the all the spoilers about the ending floating around which, despite the fact that I knew what was coming, left me with a lump in my throat.

2. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Yeah, stupid internet gave it away when I really wasn't looking

What a fantastic series, watched all 3 season in a 2 month span

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    It turns out that I am missing an episode from Feb 3 as my service was interrupted during that week. I did a quick Google on it but there are spoilers lurking everywhere.

Can one (legally) get back episodes of DA - I am in the Sacramento area, and would like to fill in that one before hitting the final two eps.

4. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    A few weeks ago we had a massive blizzard "and before you ask, no the the kind from Dairy Queen" anyway lost power for a few days and had to watch DA on my ONDenand, otherwise go to Amazon VOD and rent that episode if you wish. :)

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Ah, well, there ya go—thanks. My On Demand shows just the last ep, dang it! Was hoping I had a faulty search or something.

I guess Amazon or iTunes will have to do.

6. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Is the ep a "spoiler" deal or not? Is 3 days spoiler-proof?

7. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    You can stream that episode at http://video.pbs.org/video/2335534842

I'm not sure it is possible to spoil this episode at this point because it ran in Britain in December and those folks spoiled it for me. Then the "in the know" news reviewers spoiled it last week. And of course, the rest of the commentators on the web spoiled it on Sunday night and Monday.

But in fairness to Laxguy and others, we might want to use the spoiler tags like these without the *.

[spoiler*]spoiler tag example[/spoiler*]

8. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Well I heard from a buddy there was going to be some scandalous development, but I didn't know what. I hadn't seen the stuff from the Brit press. Though wasn't Dan Stevens' contract expiration public knowledge? Fact is, his character was at its end. Once he was married and all kissy-kissy with Mary there was nothing left for him to do. He was just hanging around the castle like some git. His issues had all been resolved. Good riddance. Apparently Jessica Brown Findlay (Sybil) also had quit the show, so they simply wrote her out in dramatic fashion. Makes sense: English TV pays a pittance and these are both highly attractive young stars who needed to get on with their careers. Sticking with a series can kill your future. George Reeves found that out the hard way.

9. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    It seems like they are having a hard time keeping the actors from going over to Hollywood and who else are they going to kill off next season?

10. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    That Branson guy is pretty cute--should have some takers for a film career. If I was his agent I'd have him on the block right away. Have to come up with a new way to do him in: put him on the Hindenburg!

Not sure any of these folks are heading for Hollywood--the Brit film industry supports their own quite well.

11. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Jessica Brown Findlay who played Lady Sybil Crawley already has a starring role in a new TV series "Labyrinth" that is being filmed in South Africa and co-produced by Ridley Scott through Scott Free Productions. At the same time she is in a starring role with Will Smith, Russell Crowe, Colin Farrell, Jennifer Connelly, William Hurt, Eva Marie Saint, and Graham Greene, in the movie currently filming, Winter's Tale, based on the critically acclaimed best selling Mark Helprin novel of the same title. She had every reason in the world to leave the show.

The other actor leaving the show made a foolish decision IMHO. What he is working on as a supporting actor now could have been scheduled around next season's "Downton Abbey" shooting schedule.

He should have taken a lesson from Allen Leech who plays Tom Branson. Leech will be appearing in a significant role with John Cusack and Elijah Wood in the movie Grand Piano now in post-production. Leech managed to find time to do both.

Sticking it out through season 7 or after in any ensemble cast show can be a career killer if you have unusual star potential. The 23-year-old Findlay may be one of those people as she was invited to dance with the Kirov Ballet at the Royal Opera House at age 15. The male actor that is leaving and Leech, both over 30, don't have that potential and neither should be giving up their day job IMHO.

12. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Yeah, Findlay stole every scene she was in, the "camera loves her" as they say. Awesome lips. The other two are commodities.