1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DPP44 info

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Bob Trapp, Dec 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Trapp

Bob Trapp Cool Member

Feb 18, 2003
    :confused: I understand the 921 requires two coax cables in. I only have one cable coming into the house. The review would indicate if you have only one coax in you need a DPP44 switch to provide second cable.

1. What is a DPP44 switch?

2. Are they currently available?

3. Who are they available from?

4. What is the price of this switch?

The review by Mark was excellent. Thank you

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    The Dish Pro Plus 44 (DP+44, or DPP44) switch is a component into which up to 4 satellies locations are input, and up to 4 receivers can be connected. Addtional DP+44 switches can be dasiy chained on, to allow for more than 4 receivers in total to be used.

But thats not what you care about. what you care about is the Ability to run two tuners from a single cable. So you can do this. Note: you will need a diaplexer to split the signal to the two tuners.

[​IMG]

They are not currently available, you'd likely be able get them from Satellite equipment retailers when they do become available, and the price has not been disclosed yet.

3. clapple

clapple Godfather

Feb 11, 2003
    >> Note: you will need a diaplexer to split the signal to the two tuners. <<

I don't know what a diaplexer is. Does it require the DP+44 switch, on order to split the signal. A dieplexer can not be used with a SW64 switch?

4. clapple

clapple Godfather

Feb 11, 2003
    One more question. Will I have to replace my LNBs with DishPro LNBs, in order to use the DP+44 switch? I currently have a Dish 500 and a 300, for 61.5.

5. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    The DPP44 should be available sometime early next year (2004). This post was moved because the 921 development team is not the same group that is developing the switch.

6. Cyclone

Jul 1, 2002
    If you look at the picture, you'll see a small box which changes the single cable from the DP+44 to two cables just before they enter the Duel Tuner receiver. That box is the diplexer, and it will not work with a SW64 (As far as I know).

I suspect the LNBs will have to be DP.

7. clapple

clapple Godfather

Feb 11, 2003
    One final question. (At least till I think of the next one). With the DP+44 and diaplexers installed, could a diaplexer be used to split one cable, to feed a 811 and a 6000? Seems it would be the same as the 921's two tuners.

8. Cyclone

Jul 1, 2002
    Since the 811 is DishPro, I suspect that would work, the 6000 I'm not so sure of, even with a DP adapter. But It might work.

9. Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I read somewhere that the DPP44 is both legacy and DP compatible without an adapter for legacy LNB's. From what I understand this feature will be one of the advantages of the DPP44.

10. Bob Trapp

Bob Trapp Cool Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cyclone et. all thank you for the prompt and excellent reply. This really helps alot. :)

11. Cyclone

Jul 1, 2002
    The pic does show a Legacy receiver directly connected to the DP+44. But its the Diplexor that I'm wonder if it would need to have DP receiver connected to it. In otherwords, is the Diplexor "Legacy" compatible?

12. dp101

dp101 Guest

If i do not need 61.5 or the other winged sat's & now that it seems HD is going to be on 110 then my DP quad would be all I need?

13. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Will I have to replace my LNBs with DishPro LNBs, in order to use the DP+44 switch?

Yes. Everything upstream of the receiver (or DishPro adapter) must be all DishPro (or all legacy).

That box is the diplexer, and it will not work with a SW64 (As far as I know).

The diplexer won't work with the SW64. The SW64 directs a single polarization from a single satellite to the receiver. The DP diplexer takes 2 different polarizations that could be from different satellites and splits them to the 2 tuners.

With the DP+44 and diplexers installed, could a diplexer be used to split one cable, to feed a 811 and a 6000? Seems it would be the same as the 921's two tuners.

I don't think it is the same. I recall reading some time back that the 721 would be getting a software upgrade for DishPro Plus. That along with the DishPro Plus switch leads me to believe the receiver is controlling the DPP switch, telling it which 2 signals to send and which of them should be band-shifted for the diplexer to direct them to the right tuner. Since separate receivers have no way to communicate they would have no way to coordinate that.

I read somewhere that the DPP44 is both legacy and DP compatible without an adapter for legacy LNB's.

It must have DishPro LNBs. Click Cyclone's link to a photo of the switch - it has 4 inputs, not 8. Sure you meant to say "receivers" here. ;)

But its the Diplexor that I'm wonder if it would need to have DP receiver connected to it. In otherwords, is the Diplexor "Legacy" compatible?

It has to be a dual tuner receiver, none of which are legacy.

dp101,
    Yes, as long as you run a separate cable to each tuner.

14. Cyclone

Jul 1, 2002
    I have just been educated. thanks Bobabird.

15. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I thought I heard a while back about the sw-44 switch having a built in DishPro adapter built in making all legacy receivers able to receive a signal from the DishPro lnbf's? Still all lnbf's would have to be DishPro or legacy wouldn't they?

16. Bob Trapp

Bob Trapp Cool Member

Feb 18, 2003
    I don't know whether I have DishPro LNBs or not. How would I know? I have a Dish 500 and a second dish feeding into a SW21. Will this work? :confused:

If I have to replace the whole system just to use a new receiver then I need to start looking a lot closer at TIVO. It doesn't make sense to me that DISH would design a new receiver that leaves many of their old customers out in the cold! :mad:

17. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    The SW44 is a legacy switch, it won't work with DP LNBFs. Everything upstream of the receiver must be all DishPro or all legacy. The DPP44 (aka DP+44 or DP Plus 44) can be connected to a legacy receiver w/o the adapter as shown in the diagram in the 2nd post in this thread.

18. Jerry 42

Jerry 42 Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 25, 2003
    I can only speak for my own installation but I have a SW 64 switch running 2 DP301s and 2 811s and I have a Diplexer on one of the 301 leads. Everything works with no problems. Note I made sure not to put the Diplexer on SW 64 port 1 lead (power insert lead).

19. peterd

peterd AllStar

Dec 16, 2003
    Bob -
    The DishPro LNBFs have a huge DishPro logo on them, so that's how you can tell.
    They didn't! All the new recevers will plug right in to the old LNBFs & switches. The only thing which the new (not yet released) DishPro Plus 44 switch is needed for is running a 2 tuner receiver (921, 721, 522 or 322) using only 1 cable. (Notice I said "needed." There is one other benefit to those who upgrade to DishPro using the DishPro Plus 44 switch - this will be the 1st piece of DishPro gear which "looks" like legecy gear to older receivers without requiring a separate adapter.)

20. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Jerry 42,
    The diplexer you have is used for combining satellite and OTA feeds then splitting them back out. The DP diplexer being discussed here takes 2 satellite feeds that are combined (actually, stacked) by a DP Plus switch and separates them for the 2 inputs of a dual tuner receiver.

Getting back to the question of using a single cable with DP diplexer to feed 2 receivers, I had not considered the capabilities of DiSEqC which I know nothing about. But now that I look at the picture again, only 1 output has DiSEqC pass-through so the other receiver wouldn't be able to control the switch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.